PNC Financial Services Group Reviews in Chicago, IL | Glassdoor

PNC Financial Services Group Chicago Reviews

Updated August 14, 2017

Chicago, IL

2.6
PNC Financial Services Group President and Chief Executive Officer William S. Demchak
William S. Demchak

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • great focus on work life balance (in 345 reviews)

• I get to work from home 2 days a week & my work days are Monday through Friday (in 69 reviews)

Cons

1. "Corporate&Institutional Banking Internship"

Former Intern - Corporate&Institutional Banking in Chicago, IL
    Former Intern - Corporate&Institutional Banking in Chicago, IL

I worked at PNC Financial Services Group as an intern (More than a year)

Pros

I did my internship this summer and found that each line of business is extremely willing to help you figure out what the best fit is for you. Management is extremely helpful and good with helping you deliver your goals. No one is too good to talk to you, whether it is a regional president or the head of the department. Great place to work.

Cons

Nothing bad to say about this company. I loved this experience and am thankful for the opportunity.

Advice to Management

Keep being eager to keep people within the company. There is great talent, but you are doing a great job at tending to it!

"PNC - probably not compensated"

Former Employee - Mortgage Loan Officer in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Mortgage Loan Officer in Chicago, IL

I worked at PNC Financial Services Group full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Willing to train with no industry experience. Well known brand and with a decent market share. Things look good for the first couple months with company. Training program was useful in acclimating to a new industry. Benefits aren't bad.

Cons

Good luck making any money whatsoever. Current pay is less than than half of what I was told the average MLO makes. Backend team is clueless and and typically no help. Underwriters have declined files before even giving them a full review and not knowing guidelines (which is their entire job). Just settled a class action from former loan officers due to not paying them correctly. The solution to this was to change the compensation plan to just plainly not paying loan officers. Stay away. There is no trust and no transparency from management and there doesn't appear to be any positive change or direction in the near future.

Advice to Management

It's no secret why turnover is so high. Over promise and can't come close to delivering. Metrics, objectives, goals are constantly changing, sometimes without proper notice. If churning and burning the sales team while paying them peanuts is the goal, keep it up.

"QA Analyst"

Former Employee - QA Analyst in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - QA Analyst in Chicago, IL

I worked at PNC Financial Services Group full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Nice people,challenging work,flexibility in scheduling

Cons

Outdated technology. Very manual processes,low salary. Limited advancement opportunities without relocating

Advice to Management

Create better career paths locally and push to update technology,particularly in the IT departments.

4. "Financial Specialist"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I have been working at PNC Financial Services Group full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Good incentive program, you could earn easily extra 30-40K

Cons

Company doesn't seem to care about their employees, you are only number for them.

5. "Claims to help customers with financial well being but does otherwise"

Former Employee - Banker in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Banker in Chicago, IL

I worked at PNC Financial Services Group full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The vacation and holidays are the best. There can be some sort of opportunity I am just blinded by all of the nonsense.

Cons

They expect a lot from you such as pushing sales, cold calling, filling out redundant forms as busy work, and etc. Upper management have their favorites so what you may have to do it could be optional for their favorite worker.

Advice to Management

Actually listen to your workers with some sort of compassion and act on it. This company already has bad retention so I think you should try to figure out why...

"Comfortable Job With Limited Opportunity"

Current Employee - Project Manager in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Project Manager in Chicago, IL

I have been working at PNC Financial Services Group full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great health benefits and work/life balance, ability to work from home up to 2 days a week

Cons

Pay is below market and either receiving a raise or a promotion takes more effort than it is worth. Because of the pay, and limited growth opportunity, I believe many employees at PNC are disengaged and/or simply content to stay in their position and receive a promotion once they are next in line. Expectations can be unrealistic and direction minimal, everyone is constantly juggling multiple priorities and it can be difficult to bring groups together to make a decision given limited availability and focus. Senior leadership rewards "yes-men" and people who take too much on to their plates, leaving the rest to bear the burden.

Advice to Management

When undergoing a multi-year, multi-million dollar initiative, pay your employees fairly and provide motivation for good work. There are too many instances in which the blind are leading the blind-- we often try our best but can easily be burned out without recognition or incentive to trudge forward.

7. "Lack of communication between branches and upper management"

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Chicago, IL

I worked at PNC Financial Services Group (More than 3 years)

Pros

None other than the hours of business

Cons

I worked at a LMI branch and we were left out on an island with no direction or communication from the Regional managers or other upper management. We only had a branch manager for half of my threes years of employment.

We never heard or saw upper management, business partners being business bankers, mortgage, or investment bankers. We consistently made referrals but never heard back from business partners.

Doesn't matter where you live, they pay the same amount for the position

"Great Work/Life Balance"

Current Employee - Financial Sales Consultant in Chicago, IL

I have been working at PNC Financial Services Group full-time (More than a year)

Pros

All training is done in house, and the company has all the benefits you could imagine. Banking hours are a standard 9-5, with bonus holidays.
    Work rarely comes home with you, and the majority of sales are done in person; or with per-researched leads.

Cons

Incentive/Commission Structure is limited, and only top performers in the region really earn a notable bonus. Since the company focuses on both external and internal sales, you are essentially competing against your coworkers at other branches.
    Upward growth is not clear, nor really available for the majority of employees.

Advice to Management

Bolster up incentive structure to make individual profits more accessible.

"Every which way but not the right way"

Former Employee - Financial Specialist in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Financial Specialist in Chicago, IL

Pros

They have decent benefits for employees.

Cons

They do not take care of their employees. Specifically, they are not transparent about the incentive plan. They also are not the best communicators and do not lead organizational change well.

Advice to Management

Get everyone on the same page and align the goals. Treat employees with respect.

10. "Good, secure company"

Current Employee - Financial Sales Consultant in Chicago, IL

Pros

conservative company, willing to coach you to help you achieve your goals.

Cons

boring work, difficult to advance, low raises

Advice to Management

reward good, loyal employees with raises and promotions

Showing 80 of 3,802 reviews