PNC Financial Services Group Reviews | Glassdoor

PNC Financial Services Group Reviews

Updated June 26, 2017

2.0
Rating Trends Rating Trends
PNC Financial Services Group President and Chief Executive Officer William S. Demchak
William S. Demchak

Pros
  • great focus on work life balance (in 328 reviews)

• I get to work from home 2 days a week & my work days are Monday through Friday (in 65 reviews)

Cons
  • Work/Life balance can be difficult (in 91 reviews)

• Again, upper management could be a little better informed (in 118 reviews)

1. "Too Much Sales Pressure"

Current Employee - Branch Manager in Newark, NJ
    Current Employee - Branch Manager in Newark, NJ

I have been working at PNC Financial Services Group (More than 10 years)

Pros

Great vacation package 4 weeks, 6 sick days, 1 personal day, OK 401k with 4% match, health insurance is horrible

Cons

Branch managers are overworked and underpaid! They say we have no "goals" but the pressure is outrageous. Too many conf. calls, reports, procedures, check ins, surveys

Advice to Management

Compensate Branch Managers better and stop changing incentive programs.

2. "Great Training but Terrible Development"

Current Employee - Branch Sales and Service Associate in Milwaukee, WI
    Current Employee - Branch Sales and Service Associate in Milwaukee, WI

I have been working at PNC Financial Services Group full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Awesome training program at the training site (away from the branch).

Cons

Unfortunately, the training is not put to use. Development is not taken seriously and you're not given the tools to become good at the position your in thereby setting yourself up for failure and ensuring that you wont be promoted.

Advice to Management

Value the hard working, ambitious talent. Take concerns raised seriously and act upon them. Take people seriously.

"Changes causing grief"

Current Employee - Loan Servicing Specialist in Pittsburgh, PA
    Current Employee - Loan Servicing Specialist in Pittsburgh, PA

Pros

Great people that work here, all willing to help, friendly, basic office job/not too much to it, incentive is possible...

Cons

They changed the way incentive is based and now we no longer make much when we do get it, and that's barely ever. When I first started we got it all the time, now most people are trying to leave the department because they aren't making the same salary. They change things everyday and tell you when its already been changed, no notice.

Advice to Management

Need to raise base salary if you are going to make it almost impossible to get incentive here. More communication with employees.

"Cheap, Cheap, Cheap"

Former Employee - Manager in Kalamazoo, MI
    Former Employee - Manager in Kalamazoo, MI

I worked at PNC Financial Services Group full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Job Stability and Growth Opportunities.

Cons

Poor pay and resultingly poor talent

Advice to Management

Pay more, get more.

5. "Branch sales & service/personal banker"

Current Employee - Branch Sales and Service Representative in Philadelphia, PA
    Current Employee - Branch Sales and Service Representative in Philadelphia, PA

I have been working at PNC Financial Services Group full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Opportunity with company and job stability are available.

Cons

Training had been disappointing. 2 days wasted on an orientation and 3 days wasted on shadowing - before any training, so had very little clue what was even occurring during shadow. Then had 8 days of online tutorials and with classroom instructor. Crammed, skimmed and skipped much info. Very little support material to review at home/off hours; however had note but class moved so fast that notes were not real clear nor understood. If you fall behind on one computer process you it can snow ball into a major obstacle. DO NOT MISS A DAY! Also a few ppl can easily throw the class behind and force rushing by other material.
    Time frame is not fair to the new employees nor realistic to the instructor. Appears this will basically be on-the-job training. Manuals did not follow course agenda so were of little use during nor for future reference. Investing a few more days with more structure and role play would make huge difference. 1 day orientation, 12-14 days class/tutorial, end with shadow/joint 'customer conversations' would be much better. IMHO

Advice to Management

More structured and thorough training. And/or better explaination of expectations. I believe my entire group all expressed the same concerns that I am sharing here as well as feeling very insecure about their start.

"Terrible Pay"

Current Employee - Collateral Analyst in Pasadena, CA
    Current Employee - Collateral Analyst in Pasadena, CA

Pros

Good place to start to get new skills

Cons

Bad pay, bad insurance options, and barely any possibility for upward mobility.

Advice to Management

Offer competitive salaries and offer better insurance options not just PPO.

"Still here but not sure why.."

Current Employee - Business Banker in Raleigh, NC
    Current Employee - Business Banker in Raleigh, NC

I have been working at PNC Financial Services Group (More than 3 years)

Pros

Banking hours. Federal holidays. Connect with great people internal and external. Most leave for competitor banks for more pay though. Great place to cut your teeth in banking.

Cons

1. They have less than 2% market share in North Carolina but expect the sales staff to meet exact same goals as employees in the home market of Pittsburgh.
    2. The customer facing technology is great. The technology the employees use is garbage and never works.
    3. Horrible turnover and horrible pay from a competitive standpoint in banking
    4. Very little promotion from within
    5. PNC has record profits but always finds reasons to not give employees a raise. I know folks who have gone 24 months with no increase at all
    6. Ultra conservative lending guidelines
    7. Way to many tracking sheets used and check in calls
    8. Most managers are overwhelmed and stressed to try and keep up with micro management expectations on them.
    9. Horrible internal leads. Same multi channel leads over and over.
    10. The insurance provided does not cover crap. It's horrible and overpriced.

Advice to Management

If you wish to grow market share in the southeast you MUST do it differently then you do up north. Things are done at a slower pace on a true relationship level. You can't go on one sales call and expect the entire relationship day 2. You need to spend money to make money here and the market is saturated with banks who get that and really entertain top prospects and clients. Nobody and I mean nobody knows what PNC is in the southeast. That is the first step to building the brand here. Get the word out! Also pay for true talent. Stop hiring green employees and expecting sales growth. Pay for true local talent and watch it grow. Don't cut corners here.

"Brand Sales Associate"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Fairfax, VA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Fairfax, VA

I worked at PNC Financial Services Group full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The ability to increase your income via performance.

Cons

I worked in the In-Store location, and the hours were not conducive to a work/life balance. Never got a weekend off and worked most holidays. At times I ran an entire branch alone. We were constantly understaffed due to the inflexibility, lack of morale, and aggressive sales goals, and alternative facts sale techniques. We were required to wear a uniform. I felt like a robot.

Advice to Management

schedule fairly, be a team player, lead by example, and see your employee as an individual not dispensable labor.

"Lost Identity"

Current Employee - Branch Manager in Lancaster, PA
    Current Employee - Branch Manager in Lancaster, PA

I have been working at PNC Financial Services Group full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great products. Large Footprint. Great Tools for a self learner.

Cons

Office Politics. Poor Middle Management. Broken Support areas where no one wants to take responsibility for anything. Low pay for most front line jobs. New initiatives get quite muddled from design to implementation (too many layers). PNC doesn't know who they want to be. They change things so often and deliver so many different messages, it is hard to keep up with the company's direction.

Advice to Management

Build Loyalty on the front lines. Get rid of the daily micromanagement and trust your Employees to do their job. Do the right thing for your Customers and everything else will fall into place.

"Only good for the experience."

Former Employee - Bank Teller in Warren, MI
    Former Employee - Bank Teller in Warren, MI

I worked at PNC Financial Services Group part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Paid holidays and paid vacations. It's a good entry level position.

Cons

Difficult to get time off, everything you do is micro-managed, favoritism is played and they are completely unflexible. They also have a high turnover rate.

Showing 516 of 3,559 reviews