PNC Financial Services Group Reviews in Washington, DC | Glassdoor

PNC Financial Services Group Washington Reviews

Updated August 8, 2017

Washington, DC

2.6
PNC Financial Services Group President and Chief Executive Officer William S. Demchak
William S. Demchak

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • great focus on work life balance (in 334 reviews)

• I get to work from home 2 days a week & my work days are Monday through Friday (in 67 reviews)

Cons
  • The hours for in-store branches are not ideal and make it hard for a work/life balance (in 94 reviews)

• Again, upper management could be a little better informed (in 119 reviews)

"Getting bigger"

Current Employee - Business Development Officer, Workplace Banking in Washington, DC

I have been working at PNC Financial Services Group full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Great people, good leadership, track record of success. Truly value their clients.

Cons

Moving more towards the big bank mentality, which goes against our history and culture.

Advice to Management

Don't try to be Wells Fargo or BofA. PNC was built on the right balance between driving for results and success, and valuing the client and be sure not to lose that focus.

2. "Okay job"

Former Employee - Bank Teller in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Bank Teller in Washington, DC

I worked at PNC Financial Services Group full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Company match retirement, good vacation for full time employees, depending on branch not too busy, when there's enough employees for the branch everything is efficient

Cons

Pressure for sales, upper management stresses out managers who in turn get frustrated with employees, they try to make you get good numbers despite location and no new customers coming into the branch (so you're pushing sales on every customer even those that come in every day, managers low key racist and make you watch extra for customers of color for robberies but do anything for older white clients who may complain (I've seen people go against company policy just to appease these types of people just so they won't get bad reviews for the branch), part time employees get no benefits, high turnover and they take forever to hire new people, someone is always gone because they have to help somewhere else, no raise despite going from part time to full time

Advice to Management

Hire new people in a timely manner, don't fire people until you have plans to replace them, don't openly teach discrimination, focus more on customer service than sales since that's what you claim to be for, don't solely focus on numbers and the survey results for the branch, make goals realistic for location

"InStore BSSA"

Former Employee - Branch Service & Sales Associate in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Branch Service & Sales Associate in Washington, DC

I worked at PNC Financial Services Group (More than a year)

Pros

The people that are hired are all nice and easy to get to know. Most InStore branches have teams of 4. If you stay long enough, you can create strong relationships with them and customers that make the job a little better.
    Good place to get training if you have no experience.
    Some regions are better than others when it comes to employee retention.

Cons

Upper management is terrible. They do not value employees at all and instruct everyone to leave good ratings on the employee survey that comes out every year or "it looks poorly on you". The way they speak to branch managers will make you never want to be one. Intimidation is how they manage.
    "Work/Life Balance" sounds nice, but is not a benefit of working here. It is normal to not have a schedule at all, be told to come in on your days off, or be told at a moments notice that you'll need to drive an hour away to support another branch.
    They offer low pay compared to other banks because of a "great commission structure". You have to hit a revenue goal before you get any payout and there aren't many employees who hit the high amounts to make up for the low salary.
    Because of these things, employees only stay for a couple of months. This leads to ridiculous staffing, lack of customer loyalty (customers will actually ask you how long you think you're going to last) and having to constantly train new-hires.

Advice to Management

Pay more attention to the areas that can't seem to keep staff because the reasons behind people leaving are consistent. Give clear descriptions of what it means to be in an InStore position. My first sign should have been how much I was "sold" the position because of the "company culture" that ended up being a miserable environment.

4. "Great place to get your foot in the door"

Current Employee - Senior Teller in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Senior Teller in Washington, DC

I have been working at PNC Financial Services Group full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Paid training, paid vacations, full benefits.

Cons

On the low side of the pay spectrum.

5. "Pretty bad"

Current Employee - Branch Sales and Service Associate in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Branch Sales and Service Associate in Washington, DC

Pros

Commission, 3 weeks paid vacation. I need twenty or more words to finish this so I am going to keep typing nonsense.

Cons

Low base salary and mandatory vacation times.I need twenty or more words to finish this so I am going to keep typing nonsense.

Advice to Management

Needs new managers

6. "Financial Sales Consultant"

Current Employee - Financial Sales Consultant in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Financial Sales Consultant in Washington, DC

I have been working at PNC Financial Services Group full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Large company with a pool of resources and networking opportunities.

Cons

Basic teller transactions, not much room for growth, high turnover rate.

Advice to Management

Separate teller duties with Financial Sales duties.

7. "PNC In Store BSSA"

Former Employee - BSSA in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - BSSA in Washington, DC

I worked at PNC Financial Services Group full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Professional and gives someone with no banking experience a wide opportunity to excell in a lot of areas as a BSSA.

Cons

Sooo much info to learn comstant Web Based Trainings not enough opportunities to actually use what you have trained for...

Advice to Management

In Store locations have the worst hours.

"Vice Presidernt"

Former Employee - Vice President in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Vice President in Washington, DC

Pros

There is nothing positive I can add.

Cons

Company benefits are really poor and extreme lack of support of the employee. Lack of employee support is confirmed by 50% employee turnover in the year I was there.

Advice to Management

Too many managers for different lines of business. Improve your customer service.

9. "Retail Banking Intern"

Former Intern - Anonymous Intern in Washington, DC
    Former Intern - Anonymous Intern in Washington, DC

I worked at PNC Financial Services Group as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

Great work life balance, compensation, and everyone one was willing to take time out of their task to answer any questions I may have had.

Great work environment!

Cons

The only con that I experienced was that, as an intern you where not always sure what your next duty would be.

"Can Improve!!"

Current Employee - Assistant Vice President in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Assistant Vice President in Washington, DC

I have been working at PNC Financial Services Group full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- Good Pay and Benefits
    - Good Work/Life Balance

Cons

- No clearly defined Career Opportunities
    - Siloed work culture

Advice to Management

Need better exposure to Senior Management and need to upgrade the collaboration technology due to distributed work environment.

Showing 34 of 3,658 reviews