POP Reviews in Seattle, WA | Glassdoor

Seattle, WA Area

3.5
Bill Predmore

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Work/life balance is great as well, I rarely have nights where I have to work late (in 7 reviews)

• Most people there are fun to work with (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • Project managers don't always give sufficient hours to complete projects, so I sometimes had to complete work at night (off the books) (in 5 reviews)

• I also didn't really see that work/life balance several people refer to here (in 3 reviews)

1. "Boutique Creative Agency"

Former Employee - Program Manager in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Program Manager in Seattle, WA

I worked at POP full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Small agency catering to a variety of clients. Strong talent base and a downtown Seattle location. Great benefits for an agency, including bus pass, and alternate commuting options.

Cons

Very little anonymity, very process heavy and big egos to navigate. They do not offer parking and surrounding garages are quite expensive if you need to drive.

"Great offices uninspired work"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

I worked at POP full-time (More than a year)

Pros

5th avenue building is an awesome place to work. Most people there are fun to work with.

Cons

Disconnected leadership. Resistant to growth. Rarely promotes creative roles from within. High degree of turnover.

Advice to Management

If there is a problem there should be some conversation. Don't say one thing and do another.

3. "Enjoyable work/people"

Former Employee - Designer in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Designer in Seattle, WA

I worked at POP full-time

Pros

The people here are great. I thoroughly enjoyed my time with them.

Cons

The work was decent, but like most agencies it's easy to get stuck in a rut. My advice goes for all who plan to work at an agency, fight for the work you want to be on.

Advice to Management

My advice to management would be to keep transparency with your employees. Keep giving praise to those who deserve it, and encourage those who might not be push to their fullest potential.

4. "Senior Visual Designer"

Current Employee - Senior Visual Designer in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Senior Visual Designer in Seattle, WA

I have been working at POP full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Amazing team and workplace culture, one of the best I've been a part of. They seem to attract and retain the right kind of people, which has made working here an amazing experience. Work/life balance is great as well, I rarely have nights where I have to work late. The account and project managers work really hard to make sure the work is manageable. I've always felt supported and valued by my team. Overall, this place is pretty great.

Cons

I don't really have any cons, I've genuinely enjoyed my time here. It does seem a bit tricky to advance in your career, but that's been my experience at all the agencies I've worked at.

Advice to Management

Keep up the great work!

5. "Art Director"

Former Contractor - Art Director in Seattle, WA
    Former Contractor - Art Director in Seattle, WA

I worked at POP as a contractor (Less than a year)

Pros

Creative and Innovative, always pushing products forwards and looking for a new approach.

Cons

Tight timelines and a lot of turnover. Not the place for me and didn't feel there was a strong culture.

"All Good Things Must Come To An End..."

Former Employee - Visual Design Director in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Visual Design Director in Seattle, WA

I worked at POP (More than a year)

Pros

Really decent culture, fantastic projects (at the time). Positive work environment.

Cons

Zero opportunities for advancement. Salaries aren't very competitive. Hard work goes unrecognized. These are the reasons I left.

Advice to Management

Invest in your employees and stop the disposable mentality. Some people would actually stay if shown the appropriate appreciation.

"Sr. Front End Developer"

Current Employee - Senior Front End Developer in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Senior Front End Developer in Seattle, WA

I have been working at POP full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Friendly culture. Work with very talented people. Variety of projects to work on. Great work-life balance. Benefits are generous. Location is very convenient.

Cons

If you are not familiar with the pace of work within an agency, your first few months here might be overwhelming. That said, keep it up, for the pace here is not breakneck.

"Work environment"

Former Employee - Solutions Architect in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Solutions Architect in Seattle, WA

I worked at POP full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Company had very competent people. Resources available to technology staff was never a problem. Tremendous flexibility with a generous work at home policy. Excellent for people with families or long commutes.

Cons

Tended to be unorganized. Lacked qualified project managers. Procurement for projects during the discovery phase tended to have serious consequences to delivery arm down stream.

Advice to Management

The best thing to do is to recruit qualified technical staff on sales and procurement side of the organization. Technical staff is ready to deliver however inadequate retirements gathering is very problematic.

"Great environment. Creativity killer."

Former Employee - Senior Visual Designer in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Senior Visual Designer in Seattle, WA

Pros

Great office environment, decent culture and lots of talented people. Pay was fair and I looked forward to working there with all the nooks and crannies to work. Love the window seats. downstairs.

Cons

Management/art direction was very poor on my team, to the point where my idea would get killed before I could even get it out of my mouth. Then I switched teams and I thought things were going really well, when suddenly I was informed my project would be handed off to someone else.

Advice to Management

Encourage your long-term employees to utilize the skillset of talent, rather than keep them in a box. Be aware that when someone is being complained about by EVERYONE, there is a serious issue.

"Agency Talent Graveyard"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

I worked at POP full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Everyone is very nice and teams work well together. Hours are great, the absolute best in the industry. This is the only agency I've ever heard of where everyone works 9-5 and you can have a career and a family. They pay very well and title inflation is wonderful if you are trying to climb the ladder.

The office space is really cool and the technology team is leading in the innovation space. Did I mention how nice everyone is?

Cons

Where to begin. The biggest issue with this agency is that leadership has no broad industry experience and is very resistant to change. They have a huge fear of going outside of their comfort zone and it severely limits the work, clients, and growth potential for the agency. As a result, they can not bring in top tier talent or keep existing top tier talent. Turnover is high and when they lose people they lower the bar rather than fix the bigger issue.

They are also sneaky in how they trap employees. They tend to throw money and titles at you when you attempt to leave (which is great if that's what you care about) and as a result when you really do want to leave it forces people to move laterally or even take a step back because of limited experience in the role they held at POP. The people this hurts the most are the longest tenured employees who now feel like they have no where else to go and no one to learn from. Career development here is severely lacking.

Advice to Management

Follow your own example and take a step back to evaluate what you want to be and then bring in experienced talent that can lead and grow you in the right direction. Practice humility and be willing to listen to outside ideas or take small risks. It will be the difference between saving and destroying the agency you built.