POPSUGAR Reviews in San Francisco, CA | Glassdoor

3.7
POPSUGAR CEO Brian Sugar
Brian Sugar

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • work life balance is very important to the company (in 10 reviews)

• Great benefits, great people and company doing well (in 7 reviews)

Cons
  • Terrible work/life balance - emails kept flying well into the evening and on weekends (in 5 reviews)

• Poor management team - Management is very checked out and often takes advantage of flex hours and work from home privileges (in 7 reviews)

"Great"

Former Employee - Intern - Hourly in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Intern - Hourly in San Francisco, CA

I worked at POPSUGAR full-time (More than a year)

Pros

-Great culture
    -Great employees
    -Possibility of mobility

Cons

-Feels stagnant
    -Low wages
    -Audience is too broad - feels overwhelming at times

2. "Marketing Intern"

Former Intern - Marketing Intern in San Francisco, CA
    Former Intern - Marketing Intern in San Francisco, CA

I worked at POPSUGAR as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

Really keep their staff happy with food and perks in the office (celebs coming in, happy hours, huge catered lunches). Beautiful facilities and really a fun environment.

Cons

Pay is far below what other SF companies are paying. Lowest paying internship (minimum wage $13/hour) I've seen.

Advice to Management

Pay your employees a little more, I was offered a full time position and turned it down because of pay.

"Pretty Decent"

Former Employee - Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA

I worked at POPSUGAR full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Engineering managers understand engineering well, understand the code and have a good understanding of what people are working on.
    Very engineering driven, engineering driven objectives
    CEO understands engineering
    Decent Salary
    Decent Work life balance.
    Great parties
    Free hard boiled eggs, snacks and drinks
    Great if you are junior and are new to engineering and want to learn
    Not too many meetings
    Company has an overall positive attitude.
    More Vacation days than other companies

Cons

Very little QA, this places the onus on engineers to do a lot of testing and think a great deal about changes before making them.
    Too many layoffs, bad for morale. Layoffs seem kinda random, not much justification.
    Too much micromanaging for senior engineers. I’ve had a manager tell me what to name my variables, etc.
    Micromanagement means you have to ask your managers about every little change you make.
    Engineers can be territorial when it comes to code.
    Bias against men
    Underdeveloped specs can lead to frequent changes mid-sprint.
    Heavy handed code review can become onerous if you are a senior engineer. But this can be a plus if you are junior, or just starting to learn how to code.
    No room for advancement because management doesn’t know how to level up employees. Instead, they prefer to hire from outside.
    Location is in San francisco, the worst possible city to place a software company, that is unless you already have a rent controlled apartment there. No place to live in SF.

Advice to Management

Look inwards to find up and coming talent for management.

POPSUGAR Response

Oct 19, 2016 – Krista Moatz, Co-Founder and EVP, Culture and Corporate Citizenship

Thank you for the feedback! Investing in management training is something we are focused on for 2017 which should help to alleviate many of your concerns regarding career path as well as... More

"Exciting company with lots of potential!"

Current Employee - Account Services in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Account Services in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at POPSUGAR (Less than a year)

Pros

Really good benefits and an exciting place to work! Things are constantly changing and its a fast paced, high energy environment. Office culture is fun and there are always fun events and outings.

Cons

- Pay could be better
    - Organization within departments needs work
    - Management needs work
    - Departments lack head count so people are stretched thin
    - Very high turnover!
    - Lack of value of loyal employees

5. "Awesome place to launch your career !!"

Former Intern - QA Engineering Intern in San Francisco, CA
    Former Intern - QA Engineering Intern in San Francisco, CA

I worked at POPSUGAR as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

I was a QA Engineer Intern at Popsugar, and helped the QA team to build automation framework from scratch. The company has awesome work environment, very cool projects & opportunities to build your resume.

Cons

I didn't find any con for Popsugar. It was the dream company for me to work. However, things could not work out due to some problems. Even though I would love to work again with Popsugar if I get any opportunity in Future.

Advice to Management

I think, interns provide great value to the company. So, they are an integral part of an organization as they brought fresh ideas to company, and take initiatives to do something different. Keep some Full-time positions open for the interns who deliver beyond your expectations. For myself, I have never thought about what package you would give. I would have joined even if you have given below market rate without any benefits just because I loved the company's culture, and it's difficult to find in other companies.

"Not a good engineering environment"

Former Employee - Engineering in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Engineering in San Francisco, CA

Pros

- Some teams have a great direction and real goals. Sales, Editorial and the Facilities staff are among those.
    - People at the lower levels are generally good to work with but are usually hired straight out of school so it can be difficult to get top talent that can contribute at a higher level.
    - If you can carve out a niche, no one knows any better than you so you can learn on your own and drive your own success
    - Location is good

Cons

Don't trust your management in either engineering team, or C level execs for that matter:

Disrespect
    - Lots of passive aggressive behavior in day-to-day
    - General acceptance of CEO yelling at you instead of having a conversation
    - Have been told by senior staff to straight out lie to other engineers about goals and timelines

Poor Leadership
    - Management ignores their own failure and gets passive aggressive instead of resolving issues
    - Standard practices for the tech industry are ignored and deemed too "new" to try out ("heard of this new methodology called agile?" -from Eng VP in 2015

Sexual Harassment
    - Sexual harassment is accepted (multiple "he was just drunk" type excuses from management)
    - High ranking individuals that create harassment issues in the first place are allowed to lead "sexual harassment training"
    - Individuals that have had way more than 3 reported instances of initiating sexual harassment are still working here

Poor Compensation
    - Compensation far below market
    - Women get paid less on average (on engineering team)
    - When trying to negotiate a raise, I was lied to and told that raises only happen every two years

Get a therapist if you're going to work here.

Advice to Management

Look at your upper management team and ask yourself if they actually have leadership skills in their domain.

POPSUGAR Response

May 31, 2016 – Krista Moatz, Co-Founder and EVP, Culture and Corporate Citizenship

Thank you so much for the feedback. We take reports of harassment seriously. We are extremely alarmed by these reports and are investigating as much as we can with the information given. Please feel... More

7. "An awesome place to work!"

Current Employee - Editorial Director in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Editorial Director in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at POPSUGAR full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

I feel so lucky to work at POPSUGAR. It has been amazing to watch PS grow over the years, and keep a small company vibe / culture where everyone counts, and is appreciated and recognized for the job they are doing. I have made lifelong friends while working at PS.

Other highlights:

- surrounded by smart and passionate people
    - challenged every day, nothing ever gets dull
    - growth opportunities are clear, and encouraged
    - everyone's voice matters
    - work life balance is very important to the company
    - the founders have your back, and truly care about the people who work here like family
    - bonus: kitchen snacks are awesome. They are healthy, and consider all dietary restrictions

Cons

None to share, I love it here!

8. "LOVE this company"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at POPSUGAR full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

POPSUGAR is committed to keeping employees happy. Work hard and get the job done and they will be flexible when it comes to your needs. I've been able to change my schedule after coming back from extended maternity leave (twice) to accommodate my children's schedules. They are open to finding a plan that works for your life and still allows you to fulfill your job requirements. Upper management/Lisa and Brian have always been open to feedback from employees and they really listen and create change based on that feedback. Health benefits are awesome and they are committed to keeping the cost to employees down while providing excellent coverage options. Vacation and PTO policies are great.

Cons

Salary compensation could be better especially for employees living in cities with extremely high cost of living, but many of the other benefits help make up for that.

POPSUGAR Response

May 23, 2016 – Krista Moatz, Co-Founder and EVP, Culture and Corporate Citizenship

Thank you for the great feedback!

"Awful Management"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at POPSUGAR (More than 3 years)

Pros

Inspiring co-workers
    Great benefits
    Central office location

Cons

Disrespectful and disorganized management
    No growth opportunities
    Poor work/life balance

Advice to Management

Select managers whom know how to actually manage

POPSUGAR Response

Jun 15, 2016 – Krista Moatz, Co-Founder and EVP, Culture and Corporate Citizenship

I'm so sorry you feel this way. As you may or may not know, we recently completed management training and respectful workplace training for all of our managers. If you are not seeing any improvements... More

10. "Good company"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA

Pros

Great work life balance, good benefits, some interesting projects. There seems to be a real investment in making the company attractive and a nice place to work.

Cons

Nothing particular... it's a nice company

Advice to Management

Continue like that!

May 4, 2016 – EVP, Culture and Corporate Citizenship

Thanks for the great review!