POPSUGAR "happy hours" Reviews | Glassdoor

POPSUGAR Employee Reviews about "happy hours"

Updated 22 Nov 2017

3.8
POPSUGAR CEO Brian Sugar
Brian Sugar
Pros
  • "very friendly office, great work/life balance(in 15 reviews)

• "They have a ton of healthy snacks, coffee, and in-house happy hours for when you're really on the grind(in 10 reviews)

Cons
  • "Work life balance can be a bit out of wack; it varies department to department(in 10 reviews)

• "The upper management at this company is all over the place(in 8 reviews)

Reviews about "happy hours"

Return to all Reviews
  1. "Assistant Editor"

I have been working at POPSUGAR full-time

Pros

I've been working for POPSUGAR for about 5 months now and I have to say it really is as fun and rewarding as it seems. Everyone that works in the editorial department is super warm, helpful, and inspiring. I am truly excited to go into work everyday and really like the office atmosphere (I'm in the NYC office). I have to admit I was nervous at first since I came from a much smaller company, but I quickly fell into... the swing of things. There's a tremendous amount of freedom in terms of content and you really get to write articles you're passionate about -- a rare opportunity when you're 25. All of my managers are wonderful and the higher-ups are some of the nicest people you'll ever meet (they're funny, beyond smart, and willing to help you in any way, even when it comes to personal stuff, like making the most out of your 401K. The Editorial VP saw that some of us had questions on things like health insurance and finances and took time out of her day to have office hours and give us younger writers the rundown on how to make the most of the incredible benefits package we have. That's the type of people who work for this company. I've learned a tremendous amount in the short time I've been there and have been given ample opportunities to interview celebrities like John Legend and Hilaria Baldwin. The fact that my superiors had faith in me to do that right out of the gate (I don't work for the celebrity vertical) gave me a ton of confidence and I'm so excited to create more content for them. Another huge plus to working for POPSUGAR is that they truly want you to succeed. When I interviewed they brought up several career trajectories they've developed for some of their younger writers and editors because they want you to succeed... and stay! When I interviewed they had asked if I wanted to go the editor route (you start by writing a TON of content and work your way up to editing from there) or a staff writer path that lets you truly own content production. It's really refreshing to know that in such a tough industry overall if you work hard and prove yourself you can totally reach your career goals. Added bonus: the office experience is amazing! They have a ton of healthy snacks, coffee, and in-house happy hours for when you're really on the grind. I have literally forgotten my lunch several times and survived based on the provided snack situation. Yes, there are that many options.

Cons

There aren't any at all, everyone is flexible and the managing staff is OK with working a day here and there from home if you need to!

Advice to Management

Don't ever change.

POPSUGAR2017-11-23

"Needs some work..."

I worked at POPSUGAR full-time for less than a year

Pros

Happy Hours are somewhat entertaining Great snacks in kitchen

Cons

Compensation is not there Not clear what the focus of the company really is Sorority-like office culture; very petty nature

POPSUGAR2017-11-15
  3. Create your profile to get personalized information

"Former employee"

I worked at POPSUGAR full-time

Pros

- inspiring CEO - smart people (mostly) - great location, close to Bart - they understand work life balance - Benefits are pretty standard - many opportunities to get to know co-workers with game night, happy hours and different activities - offer great opportunities for community service and giving back

Cons

- some teams can be rude and difficult to work with - strategies are constantly changing - some employees pass of a lot of work instead of just doing it themselves - not a lot of accountability and a lot of finger pointing when something goes wrong - too many cooks in the kitchen on pretty much everything

POPSUGAR2017-10-11

"Video Department"

I worked at POPSUGAR full-time for more than a year

Pros

Amazing co-workers, very talented. Great kitchen and lounge areas. Fun perks, like free products and company happy hours.

Cons

Poor managers. My boss lost a handful of employees due either in large part or directly from his/her management. My boss did not have the appropriate management experience and it showed in his/her confidence and inappropriate dialogue with his/her direct reports and others within the company. I was told multiple times, "I don't know how you deal with your boss everyday". I knew of three other employees in the... company that cried due to the hurtful or inappropriate things my boss said to them.

Advice to Management

Think about others instead of yourself. Do not direct your direct reports to do miscellaneous tasks or tasks that have no effect upon their completion. Be respectful to all those around you.

POPSUGAR2017-08-30
  6. "Marketing Intern"

Former Intern - Marketing Intern in San Francisco, CA

I worked at POPSUGAR for less than a year

Pros

Really keep their staff happy with food and perks in the office (celebs coming in, happy hours, huge catered lunches). Beautiful facilities and really a fun environment.

Cons

Pay is far below what other SF companies are paying. Lowest paying internship (minimum wage $13/hour) I've seen.

Advice to Management

Pay your employees a little more, I was offered a full time position and turned it down because of pay.

POPSUGAR2017-03-07

"Mostly Bad"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I worked at POPSUGAR full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great perks: Snacks, happy hours, gym/phone reimbursement, annual all-company party in SF.

Cons

- Poor management at all levels - Extremely high turnover, departments running on the bare minimum and everyone is overworked - Low pay (I quickly found out that I was making at least 10k lower than others in comparable roles in the industry) - Terrible work/life balance - emails kept flying well into the evening and on weekends - Disorganized processes - we managed workflow with at least 3 separate products,... leading to, again, tons of constant emails - Zero room for growth for most and no clear career paths

Advice to Management

Flesh out departments with quality hires, and spend more on salaries to get and retain top talent. Train managers to manage people, and get documented process in place.

POPSUGAR2016-08-30

"Growing, exciting, great culture...but needs work"

I have been working at POPSUGAR

Pros

- working there feels like you're all a family; very social, friendly, nice - popsugar media is growing so fast it's very exciting! - on that note, our content is awesome! - fully stocked kitchens including wine/beer on tap - breakfast Tuesdays and birthday month lunches - awesome office space - culture is important: constant opportunities to volunteer, company sponsored happy hours, social events - good... benefits including 401k match

Cons

- low pay - disorganized within departments - poor management - every department seems to run lean, so people are overworked - lack of direction provided / opportunities for training & development - very high turnover, it seems like someone's leaving on their own accord or being let go every other week

Advice to Management

Bump up salaries, cut out accessory positions if they're not vital to the business growing Provide programs/direction to employees who need it. It will be more costly to have people leave and have to replace & train them (either on their own accord because they're burnt out or because they were set up to fail without being properly guided)

POPSUGAR2016-05-22

"Fun place, but needs A LOT of work"

I have been working at POPSUGAR full-time for more than a year

Pros

Really laid-back environment. Employees are promoted quickly so it's easy to grow within the company. Free snacks, breakfast Tuesdays, birthday lunches, happy hours, company events, cool new game room. Good benefits.

Cons

LOW PAY, very disorganized, extremely poor management and HIGH TURNOVER. While the environment is quite laid-back, often times the work place feels like a high school. Many employees frequently gossip about others. It's easy to grow within the company, but all that changes is your work title. So you're not really doing anything new. There are too many meetings and those are a drag to productivity. Most are useless... and ineffective.

Advice to Management

Pay the right wages, cut back on happy hours if you need to. Get organized and help those who lack direction. Do something about the high turnover.

POPSUGAR2016-05-05
  10. "Great company that allows for growth and lots of fun!"

Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at POPSUGAR for less than a year

Pros

Best company I have ever worked at. I work with tons of smart people that allow me to grow as an engineer. The perks and benefits are insanely good and the parties and happy hours are AMAZING!

Cons

Lack of entertainment games (fussball, ping pong, etc...) kind of sucks, but the beer and wine on tap (and constant happy hours) make up for it.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what your doing!

POPSUGAR2016-02-02

"That's too bad."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I worked at POPSUGAR full-time

Pros

• SF, NYC and LA offices are great locations. excellent ops manager keeping employees happy with fully stocked bars and kitchens. Epic holiday parties and happy hours included. • Good tech, laptops and phones provided to all employees. IT will constantly upgrade equipment happily. • Content is insanely fun. From the awesome fashion and blogger network at shopstyle, to the super fun celeb drop-ins from popsugar...... this company covers the fun stuff. • There is a small group of talented and amazing people to collaborate with.

Cons

• The executive team is flawed, unfortunately starting at the very top. The people in charge are incapable of pioneering a vision. Copycatting what competitors do, and changing direction without transparency or insight. • Immature behavior from high-level management. Small inner circle of accepted people to the founders, that often stir gossip and don't speak honestly in order to succeed. • For a company that... should empower women, things can get childish. First hand encounters of "mean girl" behavior with executives. Company preaches positivity, yet is fueled by dislikes and hates. • Majority of company is motivated by fear and lack of confidence to go against the grain.

Advice to Management

It's time to grow up. The problems are still possible to fix. Truly represent the company you say you are to the world, and not just Comscore results.

POPSUGAR2015-09-08