POWER Engineers Reviews | Glassdoor

3.9
POWER Engineers CEO Bret Moffett
Bret Moffett

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Friendly coworkers and engaging work environment (in 18 reviews)

• A relaxed dress code and weekly happy hour (in 8 reviews)

Cons
  • There is little to no advancement unless you are part of the "good ole boys club" (in 4 reviews)

• The nature of the consulting business produces work load variations throughout the year (in 3 reviews)

1. "do good work, make money, have fun"

I have been working at POWER Engineers full-time

Pros

Doesn't matter what office you work for, everyone seems to be friendly and easy going.

Cons

Typical for any consultant, you will have to work pretty hard.

2. "Great culture"

Current Employee - Substation Engineer in Ann Arbor, MI
    Current Employee - Substation Engineer in Ann Arbor, MI

I have been working at POWER Engineers full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Culture, management, recognition of hard work, opportunity.

Cons

The work can feel repetitive

3. "Contract Administrator"

I worked at POWER Engineers full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Large degree of autonomy and a company that genuinely wants their employers to enjoy their time at work.

Cons

Communication within departments is lacking.

Advice to Management

Be honest and straightforward when you need to discuss the performance of another person in your department.

4. "Review"

Current Employee - Project Engineer in Fort Worth, TX
    Current Employee - Project Engineer in Fort Worth, TX

I have been working at POWER Engineers (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great culture and work environment

Cons

There are no cons with the company

Advice to Management

Management does a good job finding work employees enjoy doing.

"Excellent Company"

I have been working at POWER Engineers (More than 3 years)

Pros

Excellent company to work for. Great culture and overall mindset. They hold the quality of work that they produce to an extremely high standard. Great work environment.

Cons

The nature of the consulting business produces work load variations throughout the year. You are either extremely busy or work is slow.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you are doing.

"Employee Owned"

I worked at POWER Engineers full-time

Pros

Easy work environment in most offices. Although an engineering firm, most offices are quite laid-back.

Cons

Very selective on stock ownership.

Advice to Management

Allow any employee who has worked for 5 years to have the option to buy stock. Buying 1, 10 or 100 shares makes an employee feel important. It's not about making 300 people millionaires, it's about making 3,000 people feel they own a small part of the company.

"Capricious Management Style"

I worked at POWER Engineers full-time

Pros

They do a good job of providing information on corporate performance and planning.

Cons

Management changes were frequent and elevated personnel were chosen seemingly at random. Pay rates are Idaho based and don't work well on the east coast or west coast. Former boss would add random - unachievable goals and then give a bad review when I didn't meet them. Nothing positive would be said during your review and then they didn't have to pay out any bonus or raise.
    Projects could be repetitious and boring.

Advice to Management

Allow 360 degree reviews. Provide checks and balances on managers.

8. "Good company culture"

Current Employee - Project Engineer II
    Current Employee - Project Engineer II

I have been working at POWER Engineers full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

I've had lots of opportunities in Power Delivery both in professional development/advancement and in project work. Worked on projects all over the US and have been able to work with people in about half our offices, and nearly everyone is great/helpful.

Cons

Some struggles with growth, always new people (mainly adding), but most adapt quickly. Always minor annoyances, but nothing major that I'm worried about.

Advice to Management

Continue to work to maintain our culture. Maybe start to look at some more options for flexibility in work schedules where practical.

"Worst career experience that shed so much light on my own self and what I truly deserve and want in life."

Former Employee - Engineer I
    Former Employee - Engineer I

I worked at POWER Engineers full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

- The company will financially take care of you (conditionally).
    Note: I did say conditionally.
    - They encourage you to drink beer on. Fridays. The company financially supports this need.

Cons

- Horrific pay. I am an engineer and I deserve to get paid national average at my given location, per my experience and what I bring to the company. How dare you charge clients a billing rate that high, only to compensate me at pennies.
    - Lack of comradery and good spirit: The people in the office I worked at did not seem to be motivated in their work; They were constantly cursing and making rude sarcastic remarks towards the clients behind closed doors. If you're going to have an attitude so appalling as such, do not even bother coming into work or even working for a client-facing, client-focused company.
    - Lack of mentorship and resources. How the heck is an engineer supposed to professionally excel and/or move upward if every employee in the group is a designer? Who does the engineer go to, to discuss electrical theory behind what is going on? One can only use a cookie cutter every so often. And yet, the only actual mentor available is constantly out of the office and on travel?
    - Disrespectful designers who think they have competency to make sound engineering judgments on projects, yell at their superiors, and yet, have the audacity to still act like they run a given project.

Advice to Management

- Get up to speed on payscalrs. Payscale.com is a good resource.
    - Promote the right people.
    - Provide more than enough resources for people to see and feel every opportunity as a career progression, and not just a job.

"Evnironmental Division *was* very good"

Former Employee - Environmental Specialist
    Former Employee - Environmental Specialist

I worked at POWER Engineers full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Casual work environment, no micromanagement (doesn't apply to all project managers), company invests in employee continued education.

Cons

No inter-office or inter-division communication. Some offices that are engineering only didn't even know the company had an environmental division, and many opportunities were lost. Project managers are responsible for bring projects in to their offices, but if they do, they sub work out to their favorite subconsultants from former jobs or do most of the work themselves in attempts to keep costs down (which makes one wonder what they charge time to). Upper management appears to focus attention on "home" offices (Idaho offices) only, and give no attention to other offices (which are still considered satellite offices). Pay is based on Idaho pay scales, which don't reflect the realities of average pay scales in non-Idaho offices, especially offices in large metropolitan areas. Employees are sometimes refused promotion because it would make them too expensive to use on proposals, but this is supposed to be a secret. New environmental division manager focuses too much on the numbers and not enough on what causes them to fall (hint: take a hard look at the project managers).

Advice to Management

Pay attention to offices outside of Idaho. If the often-highly paid PM's don't bring in projects, replace the PM's instead of the employees.