KEY NOT FOUND: coverImgAlt

POWER Engineers President and CEO Jim Haynes
Jim Haynes

Top Review Highlights by Sentiment

Pros
Cons
  • "Pay is based on Idaho pay scales, which don't reflect the realities of average pay scales in non(in 17 reviews)
  • "Besides the low salary there is a tendency towards micro managing at every level from designers to area lead managers.(in 15 reviews)
  • "Management was poor, with some employees abusing the system, then getting promoted because they are liked at the top.(in 9 reviews)
  • "One department the manager was great, the other not so much.(in 6 reviews)
  • "1) very bad place to work : Upper management is really bad at the houston office.(in 6 reviews)
Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.

Ratings by Demographics

This rating reflects the overall rating of POWER Engineers and is not affected by filters.

Want more demographic options?
  1. 5.0
    Featured Review

A great company with a long term approach to success

Jun 17, 2022 - Division Manager
    Business Outlook

Pros

Has the best group of people I can imagine working with. The company has a people, client and relationship focus. Highly ethical and partnership oriented. Committed to building long careers and technical expertise. Rewards are based on performance. Growth opportunities for those willing to work for it. Owned by the employees that have demonstrated ability to support the long term success strategy.

Cons

It takes some time to demonstrate ability to support long term success. The resulting lack of 100% employee ownership cause some to feel they are excluded. Folks looking for greater short term rewards can get restless, which is understandable. Our commitment to providing excellent total package of compensation, performance based bonus, benefits, development, growth opportunity and long term success is not always a great fit for those focused on getting maximum base compensation.

2. 5.0
    Current Employee, less than 1 year

Great company

Jun 13, 2022 - Engineer II in Meridian, ID
    Business Outlook

Pros

Lots of work to be done, large clients with backlog work for years rather than a few months to plan for with meetings. Work-From-Home positive company, people go into the office, but they are able to work from anywhere with their laptops and a VPN, all company provided for you as an employee.

Cons

Can get boring around the office when most people work from home, but I guess at least you get some good free coffee that's always fresh.

3. 3.0
    Former Employee, more than 8 years

Easy to Become a Number at a Big Corporation

Jun 28, 2022 - Environmental Specialist
    Business Outlook

Pros

Excellent benefits Skilled and friendly coworkers Flexible work schedule

Cons

Employees' experiences vary based on the division and office location Pay is mediocre The Environmental Division is treated differently than the bigger (and more profitable) divisions like Power Delivery Changes in management and leadership in the Division led to people being shuffled to other departments and managers, with no say and little advance notice Company has a long way to go with diversity and minorities and women in leadership positions

4. 4.0

POWER needs to reboot

Jun 23, 2022 - Senior Project Engineer in Boise, ID
    Business Outlook

Pros

POWER was a great company and has the potential to regain that if senior management would read between the lines and listen to the employees that made it what it is. There is room for everyone here but the squeaky voices seem to be running the show. Benefits are great, pay is within norms but not outstanding, bonuses are above average. Overall there is a lot of upside to work with.

Cons

There is a push to marginalize anyone that isn’t a minority. This is not favorable as the bulk of our new engineers fit into this category. This frustrates me as I am a minority and I have been given opportunities at POWER that have made my career enjoyable but I would like to see management listen to the bulk of the employees and stop the social experiments under the guise of the DEI umbrella. We are sick of it! Focus on hiring the best candidate and “do good work” or we will continue to become more demoralized and look for opportunities elsewhere. The Squeaky voices seem to have been given the keys to the kingdom and the king is MIA. Hard work will create opportunities for you, the fact you are a minority or female should have no bearing on it. I know I’m not the only one feeling this way as it is a very common discussion point among myself and my peers. The management just seems to be out of touch with how we all are feeling or simply has an agenda and just doesn’t care. This company can turn itself around if the right priorities are set and we regain a focus on doing good work, having fun, and building success. If not, there will be more like me. I have regretfully begun my search for a new employer because I feel all the feedback WE have provided continues to fall on deaf ears. If Jack was running the show this bs wouldn’t be happening. We are an engineering company with a strong culture and values, act like it and quit catering to the woke mobs.

5. 2.0
    Current Employee, less than 1 year

Great co-workers, Upper Management questionable

Jun 24, 2022 - Project Accountant in Fort Mill, SC
    Business Outlook

Pros

Co-workers and immediate supervisors are great. Upper management constantly defending the low pay and lack of flexibility.

Cons

I am not given credit for my experience. They low-balled me on the pay. They think they are trying to create a less stressful environment but actually by paying so low salaries they are creating stress for their employees.

6. 5.0
    Current Employee, more than 3 years

Trust

Jun 12, 2022 - Anonymous Employee
    Business Outlook

Pros

Power has my trust to do what is right for all employees. They care and will stand by the employees.

Cons

It’s been challenging since covid but power has adapted and changed and has been flexible through the tough times.

7. 4.0

Talented Professionals

Jun 17, 2022 - Electrical Engineer
    Business Outlook

Pros

The engineering talent at POWER is superb. Some of the best engineers in the POWER industry work here. My coworkers are friendly and we all get along well. Benefits here are pretty good.

Cons

Salary. Purely this. Salaries are lower than industry standard.

8. 2.0
    Former Employee, more than 1 year

Pay is below average, experience is totally dependent on who you work with

May 26, 2022 - Transmission Line Engineer in Hamilton, NJ
    Business Outlook

Pros

There are some smart folks who work at Power and you can learn a lot from them Project work was interesting for the most part Paid for any hour over 40 hours

Cons

Pay is below market rate You can get pigeon-holed into working with certain clients/projects Some people abuse WFH and can compromise your project's budget Unqualified people getting promoted because of their tenure/liked by upper management

9. 4.0
    Current Employee

Good culture, high pace work environment

Jun 21, 2022 - Project Engineer
    Business Outlook

Pros

Work from home. Great culture

Cons

High pace work environment. Often overloaded.

10. 5.0
    Former Employee

Great company to work for

May 30, 2022 - Anonymous Employee
    Business Outlook

Pros

Lots of room for advancement

Cons

Lots of travel, long hours

Viewing 1 - 10 of 318 Reviews

POWER Engineers Reviews FAQs

POWER Engineers has an overall rating of 4.3 out of 5, based on over 347 reviews left anonymously by employees. 90% of employees would recommend working at POWER Engineers to a friend and 91% have a positive outlook for the business. This rating has decreased by -3% over the last 12 months.

According to anonymously submitted Glassdoor reviews, POWER Engineers employees rate their compensation and benefits as 3.9 out of 5. Find out more about salaries and benefits at POWER Engineers. This rating has decreased by -4% over the last 12 months.

90% of POWER Engineers employees would recommend working there to a friend based on Glassdoor reviews. Employees also rated POWER Engineers 4.2 out of 5 for work life balance, 4.5 for culture and values and 4.2 for career opportunities.

According to reviews on Glassdoor, employees commonly mention the pros of working at POWER Engineers to be career development, culture, benefits and the cons to be management, compensation.

Popular Careers with POWER Engineers Job Seekers

JobsSalariesInterviews

Work at POWER Engineers? Share Your Experiences

POWER Engineers Careers

Cover image for POWER Engineers

Since POWER Engineers began in 1976, we have grown into a 100% employee-owned, flexible and progressive consulting services and engineering...More

• Our Values
  • Culture
  • Benefits
  • From Our CEO

Company Updates

335 days ago

Company News
POWER names new CEO The POWER Board of Directors has named Jim Haynes to the role of President & CEO, effective July 9. Jim has been our Chief Administrative Officer since 2016, and has been at POWER for the past 18 years. “Jim leads by example and has demonstrated his thoughtful, strategic leadership style over his 18 years at POWER,” said Ron Carrington, POWER’s Board Chair. “He is constantly encouraging his team to work smarter and better together. We look forward to seeing him apply this mindset and his passion for excellence to the entire company.” For more information, see our full press release.
Shared image - POWER Names New CEO
POWER Names New CEO
www.powereng.com

777 days ago

POWER ranks among nation’s top design firms Leading industry magazine Engineering News-Record has ranked POWER Engineers Incorporated (POWER) among the top 100 engineering design firms in the country for the 15th year in a row. Each year, ENR ranks the top 500 design firms in the United States based on annual revenues. This year, POWER was named the number 3 firm in the power sector, 20th in pure design and 34th in the overall design category. POWER also broke into two new categories this year, placing 11th in manufacturing design and 46th in international markets. The company has ranked among the top 100 design firms since 2005, among the top 50 pure design firms since the category was created in 2016 and within the top 25 in the power sector since 2000. The full ENR rankings are available here at http://www.powereng.com/press-releases/power-ranks-among-nations-top-firms/
Shared image - POWER ranks among nation's top design firms
POWER ranks among nation's top design firms
glassdoor.com

POWER Engineers Photos

+ Add Photo
POWER Engineers photo of: The Enginerds, plus 1. The gentleman in the red shirt recently retired from POWER, and was the Grand Marshal of the parade. He and his wife contribute a lot of time to make the community better.
POWER Engineers photo of: We're engineers, and proud of it! (Well, the guy up front is our Chief HR Officer.) For the 1st time in over a decade The Enginerds were in the 4th of July parade in Hailey, Idaho, our corporate HQ.
POWER Engineers photo of: I wanna be just like dad!
POWER Engineers photo of: Our company logo is a Bighorn Sheep Ram, affectionately named "Bucky". We couldn't find a ram for the parade, so Jen had her horse stand in.
POWER Engineers photo of: Our two offices in the Kansas City area combine to compete in the Kansas City Corporate Challenge. Here’s part of the group prior to the 5k run.
POWER Engineers photo of: Both our men's and women's volleyball teams placed 5th out of 28.
POWER Engineers photo of: Here's one half of our fishing team with the catch that took 7th place overall.