PPC Reviews in McLean, VA | Glassdoor

2.7
PPC President and CEO Paul Strasser
Paul Strasser

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Great work/life balance throughout the company (in 5 reviews)

• Good People, Bonuses, and Freedom to get the job done (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • A lot of good, hardworking people left the company under AEA management (in 3 reviews)

• the firm was broken and he did not have the leadership qualities to rally the troops or authority to create a new business plan (in 4 reviews)

1. "Great place to work in I.T. and Cyber Security!"

Current Contractor - Anonymous Contractor in McLean, VA
    Current Contractor - Anonymous Contractor in McLean, VA

I have been working at PPC as a contractor

Pros

PPC has some really smart and seriously motivated technical employees in Information Technology, Cyber Security, and Business Consulting.

Off the top of my head, we have a PhD in Computer Science from Duke University, a Wellesley alum, a University of Chicago Booth MBA, a Carnegie Mellon alum, a couple of University of Southern California alumni, and of course many alumni from the schools in the area - George Washington, George Mason, Marymount, Penn State, etc.

If you're looking to work in Information Technology or Cyber Security, this is the place to be.

It's a small company, so as an employee, you will wear many hats, learn a wide variety of things, and not be an assembly line worker doing the same thing over and over again (a cog in the wheel).

It's a pleasant place to work. Everyone is friendly and wants to help you succeed. Senior leadership has an open-door policy. There are very few layers of management, so a new employee can walk into a VP's office to chat.

All FT employees get healthcare benefits, retirement 401(k) match, ten paid federal holidays, and paid time off based on tenure. There are recognition bonuses ($$$) for employees worth thousands of dollars, monthly birthday parties, March Madness basketball games on a large TV screen with free pizza and soda, Town Hall meetings, and most of all, PPC has a small family-like atmosphere.

Also, there's education assistance, tuition reimbursement, and lots of training workshops. They are really committed to their employees' education here at PPC.

Cons

If you're a back-stabbing, evil, gossipy, and mean person who doesn't know what it's like to be a team player, you won't survive in this environment. This is a pro, not a con...but it's a con if you believe in getting ahead at the expense of others.

Advice to Management

This is a great place to work. Continue to work on the team building and positive culture.

2. "Work Culture"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in McLean, VA

I worked at PPC full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

If you are extremely good at your work and aggressive, you have everything. Good for fresh grads.

Cons

Always in firefighting mode. No methodology is really followed. Glib talkers do often rise in this company. For quite some time, senior leadership has just used this company as a platform to jump somewhere else. This wasn't the case when it was privately owned by the original founders.

Advice to Management

Stay in touch with grassroot teams

"Growing pains"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in McLean, VA

I worked at PPC full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The employees work very closely together, developing friendships outside of the organization. A lot opportunity for growth

Cons

A lot of turnover since the previous CEO and CFO left mid/late 2014 and the culture pretty much went downhill after that.

4. "Do Not Work Here!"

Current Employee - Senior Analyst in McLean, VA
    Current Employee - Senior Analyst in McLean, VA

I have been working at PPC full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The pros would be the flexibility and hours. The coworkers are great as well. The employees are the ones who actually roll up their sleeves to get the work done while management is the only ones that take credit for it.

Cons

CEO, VP, and HR do not value the work of their employees. Huge turnover ratio due to upper management. The company has changed completely when the former CEO and CFO left the company. I have never been with a company with so much turnover. There is no job security or stability here.

Advice to Management

In my opinion, upper management to include the CEO needs to resign. Management needs to value their employees to keep them motivated and enthused to work at PPC. Bring back Harry Thornsvard!

"Great place to work, but had some growing pains"

Former Employee - Senior Analyst in McLean, VA

I worked at PPC full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Friendly co-workers, and mostly surrounded by people who are engaged in their work. Very knowledgeable staff who will help you learn anything you're ambitious towards.

Cons

Multiple company sales and restructuring took a toll on the friendly, small-business feel of the company. Loss of several big contracts forced the restructuring of some of the business groups.

"Great job, but the company was really struggling. That lack of focus was pervasive."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in McLean, VA

I worked at PPC full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The interaction with the people was a lot of fun. I had as much latitude to do what I wanted to get done, and a felt that I got a number of things accomplished. In that regard I had a great job.

Cons

Unfortunately, management really didn't seem that interested in security. While I knew that I was getting things done, I never got feedback about my work, or the direction in which I was taking some things. Ultimately, my position was eliminated along with a number of other people when the company was sold.

Advice to Management

I hope the current crop of managers actually pays attention to some of the security issues that plagued the previous team.

"Lots of problems"

Current Employee - Analyst in McLean, VA
    Current Employee - Analyst in McLean, VA

I have been working at PPC full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Good salary and benefits. Pretty good times if enough clients are coming in.

Cons

Purchased for the third time in like five years. I was downsized the same time our vice president was. Outlook is not very good.

Advice to Management

Do not hire more staff until you know you have enough clients to keep them afloat.

"Dying company, stay away"

Former Employee - Manager in McLean, VA
    Former Employee - Manager in McLean, VA

I worked at PPC full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Flexible work schedule, good work/life balance

Cons

No buy in from senior management. Problems growing faster than resolution.

Advice to Management

Communication is key

"Good experience for a short term, but long-term issues"

Former Employee - Senior Analyst in McLean, VA

I worked at PPC full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good opportunities for client experience. Nice people to work with. Was part of the AEG group when I worked there, which seemed to have problems, but now has been spun off, so it should be more focused on its core business. A good place for recent college grads.

Cons

High turnover, especially among the project managers, made it difficult to build working relationships. Some project managers did not know enough technically about the services we were providing. Mid-level managers, directors, had been promoted from within, and lack personnel management training. Different consulting group specialty areas don't communicate or cooperate much with each other.

Advice to Management

Need to foster communication and cooperation among different consulting departments and sectors. (That will also promote sales.) Those promoted into supervisory positions need to take training on personnel management if they never managed people before.

"Red flags from the beginning"

Former Employee - Associate in McLean, VA
    Former Employee - Associate in McLean, VA

I worked at PPC full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

25 cent items in the snack machines. Headquarters in McLean is in a nice facility. Can't think of anything else nice to say.

Cons

Management engages in secrecy and downright trickery...I never knew what was going on. Working for a consulting firm, I was surprised how little human interaction I got during the day. PPC isn't winning any new work, and I'm not surprised, considering the way I was treated. Benefits package is almost worthless.