PPC Reviews | Glassdoor

2.9
PPC President and CEO Paul Strasser
Paul Strasser

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Great work/life balance throughout the company (in 5 reviews)

• Good People, Bonuses, and Freedom to get the job done (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • the firm was broken and he did not have the leadership qualities to rally the troops or authority to create a new business plan (in 4 reviews)

• VERY HIGH turnover rate due to poor treatment of employees (in 3 reviews)

"PPC General Review"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in McLean, VA

Pros

Medium sized company that encourages career growth; offers a great company culture that gives a good balance between personal and professional lives; with a vast number of clients and a strong sense of corporate responsibility (giving back/volunteerism). Also growing in the world of environmental consulting.

Cons

After being by a company twice its size in 2008, PPC has lost much of its recreational budget and does not hold bi-annual corporate-wide events as it did prior to 2008. This resulted in a slight loss of the company's "personal" touch.

Advice to Management

None.

2. "Great Place to Work - Work Hard and Be Rewarded"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in McLean, VA

Pros

If you work hard and care about your job you will get great opportunities.
    Management is really good.
    The company is really well respected in both public and private sectors.

Cons

The company is experiencing minor growing pains.
    The job is demanding on time and committment. Though it is family friendly, the expectation is that you will put in the time to be successful.

Advice to Management

More communication is always valuable, though the company already does a good job at this. It is great to see senior management engaging junior people.

3. "Acquisition by DSA! Great culture!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in McLean, VA

I have been working at PPC full-time (More than a year)

Pros

PPC (started in 1991) was recently acquired by DSA (started in 1963), an employee-owned federal contractor. I'm looking forward to being a DSA employee-owner and receiving ownership stock in an employee-owned company! Employee ownership aligns my interests with the interests of my employer and I feel a greater sense of ownership about everything that I do on a daily basis.

I enjoy working at PPC! It's a smaller company without the layers and layers of middle management at large companies. I often start a conversation with the CEO in the kitchen while he's getting his lunch from the common fridge that every employee uses. He stops to chat with everyone and makes small talk with every employee. I can walk into any manager's office at any time. They all have an open-door policy. Senior leadership is very accessible at all times. They are present during candidate interviews and every new employee's orientation starts with a brief meeting with the CEO first thing in the morning on the employee's first day.

There are monthly town hall meetings where senior leadership will talk about their corporate strategy in addition to the vision, mission, and values. They are very transparent and will share the latest updates about federal proposals and task orders, either won recently or in the bid process.

There are many team building opportunities and celebrations here at PPC! Breakfast club, employee birthdays, wellness walks, etc. H.R. is extremely accessible. You will receive an e-mail reply within minutes of sending them an e-mail message. You can walk into H.R.'s office at any time without a pre-scheduled appointment. H.R. and management are not a micromanaging anyone here. Everyone is treated like an adult who is capable of making common-sense decisions for the well-being of the company.

There are many generous spot bonuses, cash bonuses, and employee recognition awards (cash) for outstanding customer service to the client. Employees are paid competitively and the benefits are generous.

There are employees at PPC who have been here for over a decade. The turnover rate is low. Most of the recent hiring is due to new work that PPC has won.

For the person below who said that "the company will win a big contract and rapidly expand, only to implode later," that is the nature of federal contracting anywhere you go. You win some contracts and you lose some contracts. That's inevitable if you work in the federal contracting space.

Cons

Lots of free pizza, bagels, breakfasts, birthday cake, and 25 cents for anything in the vending machine. I have put on some weight since I started.

4. "Great"

I have been working at PPC full-time

Pros

Great place to work everyday

Cons

Hours are sometimes long during busy season

5. "The Rise of the Phoenix"

Pros

PPC has a great history of success, innovation, and customer first attitude.
    New opportunities for movers and shakers to be entrepreneurial
    Team culture
    Work Hard Play Hard
    Willing to bring in raw talent and grow them
    You’re given a chance to sit at the decision table
    New Blood with new attitudes

Cons

Staff Departures
    Lack of accountability across the board from 2009 through 2011.

Advice to Management

Continue making the difficult decisions to stabilize the company. Select competent people to operate or get rid of those who can't. Seek general employee feedback as one important tool to optimize everything from overhead to solution sales. Stay focused and the company will rise from the ashes better and stronger.

"Great place to work if you could live with less than industry standard salary."

Current Employee - Principal in McLean, VA
    Current Employee - Principal in McLean, VA

Pros

- Care for Employees
    - Excellent benefits that in turn compensates some times for less than industry standard salary
    - A decent 401(k) match. Used to be great though
    - Opportunities to rise and get to the management team eventually

Cons

Salaries are really disproportionate here. They don't conform with industry standards. They don't conform within the company itself. There is huge difference in salaries at the same level, which results in disappointment among employees and make them dispirited, sometimes.

Advice to Management

Please bring sanity to the way employees ore paid.

7. "Cool place to work"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in McLean, VA

Pros

All of the employees are really awesome.

Cons

The employee evaluation system is awkward and difficult.

Advice to Management

Please change how employee evaluations work.

8. "Great place to work"

Former Employee - Principal Consultant in McLean, VA
    Former Employee - Principal Consultant in McLean, VA

Pros

A good group of professional people. They understand what it means to work hard and what it means to have a life. I loved working there, the reason for leaving was to start my own business.

Cons

My narrow nitch didn't fit into the company's profile, I helped them meet a contract requirement. It is really not a down-side, but this way it was harder to fit.

Advice to Management

Management is very competent, I only missed a little more opportunities for advancement.

"Fun middle size company with great work/life balance"

Current Employee - Developer in McLean, VA
    Current Employee - Developer in McLean, VA

Pros

- Lots of fun company activities to participate in (sports teams, volunteer opportunities)
    - Managers to a good job listening to their employees and trying to keep them satisfied and challenged
    - Young energetic staff
    - Great game room
    - Decent pay
    - I feel pretty good about my job security

Cons

- As with most small / midsize companies policies / procedures will be broken in order to satisfy a customer (this may mean occasionally working long hours to reach an unreasonable timeline)
    - Yearly performance reviews have some awkward metrics that may not apply to your specific job role.
    - We do a lot of tech projects, but some of the project managers have no experience managing tech projects. (Need a developer at any requirements meetings)

Advice to Management

- Create a training program for new project managers instead of promoting them from analyst and assuming they know what they are doing

10. "Great work environment, great people."

Former Employee - Associate in McLean, VA
    Former Employee - Associate in McLean, VA

Pros

I loved the building and the people in it. Company events were fun when I went to them, and the work environment was generally relaxed. On my first day, I wore a tie and got several comments about how it wasn't necessary, even from the CEO at the time.

Cons

I felt like I had a lack of solid feedback about my job performance on a regular basis. The review process also seemed to not follow a regular schedule.

Advice to Management

I do not have much feedback for the management of Project Performance Corp. A little more transparency would have been nice.