PPC Reviews | Glassdoor

2.9
PPC President and CEO Paul Strasser
Paul Strasser

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Great work/life balance throughout the company (in 5 reviews)

• Good People, Bonuses, and Freedom to get the job done (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • the firm was broken and he did not have the leadership qualities to rally the troops or authority to create a new business plan (in 4 reviews)

• VERY HIGH turnover rate due to poor treatment of employees (in 3 reviews)

1. "Acquisition by DSA! Great culture!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in McLean, VA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in McLean, VA

I have been working at PPC full-time (More than a year)

Pros

PPC (started in 1991) was recently acquired by DSA (started in 1963), an employee-owned federal contractor. I'm looking forward to being a DSA employee-owner and receiving ownership stock in an employee-owned company! Employee ownership aligns my interests with the interests of my employer and I feel a greater sense of ownership about everything that I do on a daily basis.

I enjoy working at PPC! It's a smaller company without the layers and layers of middle management at large companies. I often start a conversation with the CEO in the kitchen while he's getting his lunch from the common fridge that every employee uses. He stops to chat with everyone and makes small talk with every employee. I can walk into any manager's office at any time. They all have an open-door policy. Senior leadership is very accessible at all times. They are present during candidate interviews and every new employee's orientation starts with a brief meeting with the CEO first thing in the morning on the employee's first day.

There are monthly town hall meetings where senior leadership will talk about their corporate strategy in addition to the vision, mission, and values. They are very transparent and will share the latest updates about federal proposals and task orders, either won recently or in the bid process.

There are many team building opportunities and celebrations here at PPC! Breakfast club, employee birthdays, wellness walks, etc. H.R. is extremely accessible. You will receive an e-mail reply within minutes of sending them an e-mail message. You can walk into H.R.'s office at any time without a pre-scheduled appointment. H.R. and management are not a micromanaging anyone here. Everyone is treated like an adult who is capable of making common-sense decisions for the well-being of the company.

There are many generous spot bonuses, cash bonuses, and employee recognition awards (cash) for outstanding customer service to the client. Employees are paid competitively and the benefits are generous.

There are employees at PPC who have been here for over a decade. The turnover rate is low. Most of the recent hiring is due to new work that PPC has won.

For the person below who said that "the company will win a big contract and rapidly expand, only to implode later," that is the nature of federal contracting anywhere you go. You win some contracts and you lose some contracts. That's inevitable if you work in the federal contracting space.

Cons

Lots of free pizza, bagels, breakfasts, birthday cake, and 25 cents for anything in the vending machine. I have put on some weight since I started.

"Small Company with a Big Company Feel"

Former Employee - Network Engineer in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Network Engineer in Washington, DC

I worked at PPC full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

It will help you pay your bills. Great for college students just getting into the job market.

Cons

Company is in constant firefighting mode, with no evident direction. Management is aloof and inaccessible. You could work there for 10 years and the CEO and VPs will never know your name. That may be okay for a 10,000 person company, but it should be a point of embarrassment for a company with less than 100 people. The HR team is completely invisible, unless they're hiring or doling out threats. As others have stated, raises and promotions are non-existent, so remember that whatever you are offered at the start is pretty much going to be your long-term salary. PPC is a 'body shop' with and extremely high turnover rate. No exit interview because they're not interested in hearing why you're leaving. Company will win a big contract and rapidly expand, only to implode later.

Advice to Management

Get to know your people. You may even find that you like them. Develop and communicate a corporate strategy and a clear path for advancement. Also, costs go up for people in the real world, which means a 1 percent annual pay 'raise' across the board is actually a pay decrease when you factor for inflation.

3. "decet conpany"

I worked at PPC full-time

Pros

feindly ppl nice wok time

Cons

low salary no facility poo rrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

Advice to Management

no comments

4. "Upswing"

I have been working at PPC full-time

Pros

The culture of the company is slowing ascending to the good old days.

Cons

Lack of new business.

Advice to Management

Keep going after younger, hungrier talent. Continue move from a top-heavy to a balanced workforce.

"PPC"

I have been working at PPC full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The team here is great, good work environment.

Cons

There is no work-life balance. Short deadlines

6. "Just Say No"

Current Employee - Applications Developer
    Current Employee - Applications Developer

I have been working at PPC full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I am learning a lot from the other developers.

Cons

Management is terrible. Where did they find these people? I am interviewing.

7. "Shipping and Receiving Coordinator"

I worked at PPC full-time

Pros

Good People, Bonuses, and Freedom to get the job done. Good Benefits. Good work/Life Balance

Cons

No opportunity to move up and get pay raises. Received Just over a dollar in living expense and raises over a 7-8 year period. Need additional help. Used only 2 guys to do all working responsibilities.

Advice to Management

Hire more People for help. Fight for Raises opportunity

8. "Work Culture"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in McLean, VA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in McLean, VA

I worked at PPC full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

If you are extremely good at your work and aggressive, you have everything. Good for fresh grads.

Cons

Always in firefighting mode. No methodology is really followed. Glib talkers do often rise in this company. For quite some time, senior leadership has just used this company as a platform to jump somewhere else. This wasn't the case when it was privately owned by the original founders.

Advice to Management

Stay in touch with grassroot teams

9. "APM"

I have been working at PPC (More than a year)

Pros

Good experience, learned how to construct metal panels and curtain walls

Cons

Low Salary, longer hours than expected. Didn't provide room for growth.

"Director"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Tysons Corner, VA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Tysons Corner, VA

I worked at PPC full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good people. Company trying to do the right thing.

Cons

Company is in a tail spin and can't seem how to stop it. No real new business... trying to maintain the contracts they still have.

Advice to Management

Focus on innovation.