PPG Reviews | Glassdoor

PPG Reviews

Updated December 13, 2017

Full-timePart-time

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Work life balance, many opportunities and something important that I can say about PPG Comex is the best great company with the best people (in 23 reviews)

• Weekly pay, dependable hours, good benefits (in 31 reviews)

Cons
  • Work life balance when in a finance role (in 23 reviews)

• Upper management does not seem to care about how employees are treated (in 32 reviews)

"PPG"

Current Employee - Supervisor in Oak Creek, WI
    Current Employee - Supervisor in Oak Creek, WI

I have been working at PPG full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Good history, company is growing

Cons

2 their pay is making it harder to get and maintain good help.

Advice to Management

Scrap 2 their pay and get back to being a company someone is willing to leave a good job for.

"Tries to under pay employees"

I have been working at PPG full-time

Pros

Flexibility. But that is about the only pro, nothing else I can think of cam pared to other companies"..............Work on the automotive refinish side if you can

Cons

First off I'll say you do get a company car, however you have to pay $125 out of your own check each month for it. Also there is no 401k match for the first 5 years at least if you work in the Architectural coatings side of PPG as a rep in the big box stores. Then they say you work a 45 hour week but in reality it's a 50 hour work week because you don't get drive time unles it's over an hour drive and you only get the minutes after the hour has past. So if it take you 1 hr 15 mins to get to your store you can only count the 15 mins into your time. Also the sales goals are unfair and not realistic, in the big box side they compare all of the numbers to the prior year and you don't get a full bonus unless you finish each qtr 4% over the goal. So with he numbers being compared directly to the year before it can be hard to constantly grow sales 4% year after year so to think of you grew sales 1-3% they would barely give you any bonus, but think you increased sales but wasn't rewarded for it. It's not a realistic sales goal and you may not get a bonus depending on how good of anger the previous person had.

Advice to Management

Pay your employees what the deserve and make the sales goals more realistic and not use the previous years sales as the barometer for what success looks like

3. "Its work"

I worked at PPG (Less than a year)

Pros

Great people to work with

Cons

not enough hours sometimes but its steady work

"TM"

I have been working at PPG full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Flexility with Scheduling and a Company Car

Cons

To many Changes ,Work Weekends, Unfit Boss,

Advice to Management

No Advice

5. "Terrible place to work!! Terrible management team"

Former Employee - Salaried Professional in Lake Charles, LA
    Former Employee - Salaried Professional in Lake Charles, LA

I worked at PPG full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

You earn a paycheck, is about it...

Cons

Poor work/life balance!! You will be required to work OT and not be informed of it until 2:30pm that afternoon . More than 70% turnover in 2016/2017 between management and salaried employees. More than 75% schedule break in on a weekly basis.

6. "production worker"

I have been working at PPG full-time

Pros

close to home good pay

Cons

12 hour shifts and every other work

7. "Large company... typical struggles, issues, and opportunities"

Current Employee - Development Engineer in Pittsburgh, PA
    Current Employee - Development Engineer in Pittsburgh, PA

I have been working at PPG full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Large company many opportunities. Decent 401k match and insurance. Good people to work with. Interesting R&D projects and developments to get involved with.

Cons

Pay is lower than average. limited upward movement due to new HR requirements to remove levels and managers. Unless you have a phd in chemistry you can't progress in R&D

"Chemical technician/ team lead"

Current Employee - Team Lead in Pittsburgh, PA
    Current Employee - Team Lead in Pittsburgh, PA

I have been working at PPG full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Decent pay and some benefits are good. Corporate seems to have a vision for the company. Quality and EHS at the corporate level is done well.

Cons

Most of the problems associated with large corporations are there. Depending on the group there often appears to be a disconnect between corporate direction and middle management. Far too mich of the workforce is made up of contract workers. More than half of the labor force in my group is contracted. We frequently get off track on process improvement projects when contractors leave for full time employment and there aren't enough people to complete regular production activities. A lot of redundant or non value added reporting. Middle and lower management often too eager to fix problems without real knowledge of what is wrong. Leads to fixing problems that don't exist and ignoring real problems because proper investigation wasn't given appropriate time/resources or conclusion was made prematurely. Often working overtime. I've gone through periods where 70 or 80 hour work weeks are not uncommon. Large age gaps in workforce. Process knowledge often gets lost as a result and upward mobility tends to go in jumps and starts with long periods of no advancement between.

Advice to Management

If you truly want to stimulate organic growth, commit to bringing most of the contract labor on full time.

9. "I would avoid it, if possible"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Allison Park, PA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Allison Park, PA

I have been working at PPG full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great coworkers, the first few months are great

Cons

It seems like the company is pushing out many upper level chemists and pulling in more recently graduated Ph.D's with no experience. There also seems like there is very little room for contractors to get a job within the company if they want to. Many times if someone that is already full time at PPG applies to the same position, the first choice is normally the full time employee. I took this job out of college because I wanted to get some experience but I think I would have rather kept my part time job over doing this job. Contractors get paid terribly, do not get paid vacation (they previously had but the contracting agency took it away), no paid holidays , and crappy health insurance. Like previously stated, if you can avoid being a contractor, I would. I regret every minute of it.

Additionally, it seems like they are moving management around without having a clue who would fit in well where. I see unfair treatment between contractors and full time employees.

Advice to Management

Pay contractors better and give paid holidays and vacation.
    Pay more attention to what the group dynamics are and if moving managers into a different lab would be a smart move for team morale.

10. "Great place to work"

I have been working at PPG full-time

Pros

There are too many to list.

Cons

No CONS based on current experience.