PPG Reviews | Glassdoor

PPG Reviews

Updated May 21, 2017

Full-time Part-time

Pros
  • Work/life balance has been good, but this is largely based on the managers/departments I've worked in (in 20 reviews)

• Very good benefits package and incetives to stay (in 28 reviews)

Cons
  • Work life balance when in a finance role (in 22 reviews)

• Upper management does not seem to care about how employees are treated (in 31 reviews)

"Solid Company with a Wealth of Opportunity"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Pittsburgh, PA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Pittsburgh, PA

I have been working at PPG full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

I'm on my 4th role in 8 years, so there has been a continuous supply of new opportunities, both to grow and progress in my career. Management has generally been responsive to employees. Benefits are middle of the road - good, but not great. The 401(k) match is strong. Work/life balance has been good, but this is largely based on the managers/departments I've worked in.

Cons

Not the most progressive company. It took quite a while to get same-sex partner benefits (I want to say either 2013 or 2014). Work from home is again hit and miss, depending on your department and manager. Only other concern I would say is the risk of being in a business unit that get's divested. The company is generally moving toward a coatings-centric company, so I've lost co-workers to other companies as their business unit is sold and they become part of another company.

Advice to Management

We talk about 'organic growth', but that should apply to your employees, as well as sales. When we expand, it is very easy to just look externally, but we should also be focused on growing the talent that is already here. My education level is largely attributed to my past company's investment, and I'd love to see that level of investment in talent here at PPG for my co-workers around me.

"Sales associate"

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Baton Rouge, LA
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Baton Rouge, LA

I have been working at PPG part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Work with your schedule for the most part, some of the people are good to work with as well. Nothing else though.

Cons

No room for growth. They treat the lower employees like untouchables, the only people who ever get raises are upper management. What you start out at is what you stay at no matter how much more you are expected to do. I work in one of their larger stores in the USA and started out as a sales associate, now I am the assistant manager but I still have yet to see any pay increase or appreciation for the work I do. They don't give any raises, even if you've been with the company for years, the last assistant manager worked here for three years and still wasn't awarded a raise. I would not recommend accepting an entry level job here, you'll regret it!

Advice to Management

Stop worrying about your overheard bonuses and give raises to the people that earn them.

"Sales"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX

I worked at PPG (More than 5 years)

Pros

None I can think of currently

Cons

Terrible to employees. Very out of date. Big company with old fashioned mentality and horrible management at every level, especially wanna be mid level.

"Production Lead"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cleveland, OH
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cleveland, OH

I have been working at PPG full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Good pay
    Well known company
    Some incentives

Cons

Very expensive benefits
    Little room for growth
    No good management on local level

Advice to Management

Remember to care about your employees. They're your number 1 asset.
    Review benefit costs for employees.

"Seasonal Sales Associate"

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Anchorage, AK
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Anchorage, AK

I worked at PPG full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The pay was satisfactory. The majority of work involved physical labor. I acquired a beginners knowledge on how to tint/mix paint and operate the cash register. Fellow employees were nice.

Cons

Essentially a part time janitor. Employer did not want me to learn how to tint/mix paint because they would have had to increase my pay. A significant portion of the customer base are rude commercial painters.

"Store Manager"

Current Employee - Store Manager in Johnson City, TN
    Current Employee - Store Manager in Johnson City, TN

I have been working at PPG (More than 3 years)

Pros

Employees at the store level are great to work with. A lot of talented people working hard to get the product out the door. Support staff are a big help as well.

Cons

Level of pay for reps and managers are a joke. If you figure the hourly pay for a manager he makes less per hour than the assistant Mgr and sore associates. Decisions are made for territories with out talking with local management. Middle management is too scared to speak up for the stores. YES MEN ALL THE WAY. PPG doesn't care about the people only the almighty dollar. Corporate says that they have a responsibility to their stock holders How about a little responsibility for your employees.

Advice to Management

SGM's listen to your managers and reps. They are in the market everyday and know what's going on. Then don't be afraid to stand with them and fight for what that market needs and what is right.

"Business Development Manager"

Former Employee - Business Development Manager in The Colony, TX
    Former Employee - Business Development Manager in The Colony, TX

I worked at PPG full-time (More than a year)

Pros

They have great products, good long term job security, and are a vibrant, growing company. Their corporate brand is known world wide.

Cons

Their middle management is disconnected from there field level employees, the pay scale is below par, and they do not give true cost and profit information to the store and field level.

Advice to Management

The middle management should connect better with their lower level employees, they should compensate their employees better, and they should be more transparent with true cost and profit margin information to employees.

9. "Great employee development"

Current Employee - IT Manager in Pittsburgh, PA
    Current Employee - IT Manager in Pittsburgh, PA

I have been working at PPG full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Employee development and retention is highly valued. Co-workers are generally fantastic. Teams communicate well. Very good benefits package and incetives to stay.

Cons

Managers are unaware of performance of team and relationships between subordinates. It is hard to be motivated when performance is rarely observed or recognized. Hard to change processes that are already in place.

Advice to Management

Be consistently engaged with your employees, aware of their performance and take their opinions into account. Be willing to change processes even if they are assumed to be working well.

"They bought Glidden I got laid off"

Former Employee - Account Development Manager in Naperville, IL
    Former Employee - Account Development Manager in Naperville, IL

I worked at PPG full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great products to work with

Cons

My manager at the time was not very helpful

Advice to Management

Work closer with the outside sales reps. When they are trying to land a whale get behind them!

11. "Conf Call Manager"

Current Employee - Conference Call Manager in Sylmar, CA
    Current Employee - Conference Call Manager in Sylmar, CA

Pros

If you love conf call there is no place better

Cons

sometimes the calsl end early

Advice to Management

more conference calls