PPL Reviews | Glassdoor

PPL Reviews

Updated January 8, 2018

Full-timePart-time

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Good pay and benefits; flexible hours (depending on department) (in 8 reviews)

• great people to work with who are passionate (in 11 reviews)

Cons
  • Upper management keeps cutting employees while increasing workload, and rewarding themselves with ever-increasing exec pay packages (in 5 reviews)

1. "CNA"

I have been working at PPL part-time

Pros

There is paid vacation time.

Cons

The company has not gone electronic yet so when the documents are messed up that could mean not getting paid.

2. "Field manager"

I have been working at PPL full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Working with people, learning labor relations

Cons

Not a 40 per week job

"Account Associate"

Former Employee - Account Associate in Allentown, PA
    Former Employee - Account Associate in Allentown, PA

I worked at PPL full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Compensation, work life balance, and career opportunities.

Cons

Weak middle management, bureaucratic utility culture, and communication.

Advice to Management

Bring in a 21st century culture of efficiency and cut the dead weight.

4. "Avoid this company"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Allentown, PA

I worked at PPL full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Vacation is based on experience, not company service. Many individuals with 10+ years experience will receive 4 weeks of vacation from day one based on their vacation model.

Work Life Balance is high only due to the lack of work and direction. Most individuals from my department come in late and leave early.

PPL is a great place to work if you like to do the bare minimum, allow your skills to become stagnant and be 5+ years behind technology.

Cons

Poor compensation

Pay to park

Voluntary donations to United Way and other affiliations, both internal and external. Managers and directors alike would nearly force you into donating salary to affiliates/charities. I had a director come to my department and solicit our team to donate to a charity. The wording used was "even if you only contribute x, I highly recommend it". Being forced to donate to charities or be cast out when year end bonus time comes is completely wrong. Even contractors were solicited to donate.

Leadership seems to have a stagnant mentality. Promotions are given to individuals who are favored with little to no experience in the departments and teams they are promoted into.

Company moral is horrible. Everyone is overly concerned with what the business is doing. "people being laid off, possible sales, etc." Far too much distraction and concern among staff as a direct result of poor leadership and communication from the executive level.

No forward thinking or innovation. Possibly due to cost restrictions. PPL business clearly cares more about their stock value and the companies share holders than the individuals working to allow the company to continue to operate.

Decentralization/ReOrgs are a common theme. Many staff have been through 5+ managers in a very short period of time. This is a direct result of poor leadership.

Advice to Management

Place more focus and energy with the staff who are dedicated and continue to allow the company to be successful. Staff should take precedence over stock values.

Place leadership with the correct experience and knowledge in positions. Stop giving staff with little to no experience leadership positions. This only hinders the potential of the organization collectively.

Many individuals who have experienced the roller coaster of reorg's could easily say the PPL leadership has displayed a great use case on how not to run a business.

"A strong company that continues to change."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Allentown, PA

I worked at PPL full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

A company that always looked to do the right thing and adapted and changed to ensure it was a leader in the industry. High ethics and high compliance standards. Great growth opportunity due to impending retirements.

Cons

The leadership abilities of managers could vary from department to department. Some days the bureaucracy of a large Fortune 500 could take over and stall things from happening.

Advice to Management

Over communicate to employees in a timely manner as the company continues to change.

6. "caregiver,housekeeper,laundry,meal prep, companionship"

Current Employee - Live In Care Giver, Aide Hosekeeper in Mount Union, PA
    Current Employee - Live In Care Giver, Aide Hosekeeper in Mount Union, PA

I have been working at PPL full-time (More than a year)

Pros

like keeping safe clean environment

Cons

working with Alzheimer's is frustrating and I have been doing caregiving a long time and I love working in laundry and housekeeping in a facility and interacting with the residents and people loved helping in the dining room serving the residents I'm a lot older now and I like the calmness of working like this

Advice to Management

I like working on my own I have worked in a laundry and housekeeping department in a nursing facility before and I really liked it

"Paperwork is Sorry!!!!!"

Current Employee - Supervisor in Java, VA
    Current Employee - Supervisor in Java, VA

I have been working at PPL full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Getting someone to come in

Cons

Not receiving paperwork!.Waiting for members to get paid is out of this world.

Advice to Management

Need to open an office somewhere in The Danville/Chatham area, so paperwork can get put in on time...The wait is crazy

"Move Along."

Pros

Experience for your next position elsewhere.
    Steady pay check.
    Experience constantly adapting to a change.

Cons

5 different bosses in less than 2 years
    Poor pay relative to position requirements
    Poor HR. Job titles squashed to reduce compensation.... Managers really are directors, supervisors are really managers.
    Company has no long term, direction and vacillates between strategies.
    People running groups or organizations have no experience with those groups and organizations

Advice to Management

Replace your HR group
    Value your employees
    Either provide services for your customers or cut costs. The two are mutually exclusive. Don't expect to.provide good customer service if you aren't paying appropriately to provide it.
    Put suitable employees in roles they are experienced at and don't just "find a spot" for them.

"Project Manager"

Former Employee - Project Manager in Allentown, PA
    Former Employee - Project Manager in Allentown, PA

I worked at PPL full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good benefits, good salary, great projects

Cons

Workload, constant organizational changes, high employee turnaround rate

Advice to Management

Constructive Culture should come from top to bottom

"Manager"

Current Employee - Manager in Allentown, PA
    Current Employee - Manager in Allentown, PA

I have been working at PPL full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Good work experience to build resume for next employer.

Cons

Unfortunately the company no longer cares about employee morale or work hours. Hours are ridiculously long and job expectations are unrealistic. Upper management keeps cutting employees while increasing workload, and rewarding themselves with ever-increasing exec pay packages. Current management is so out of touch and has ruined the company

Advice to Management

Fire yourselves and get people in who know what they are doing.