PR Newswire Reviews | Glassdoor

PR Newswire Reviews

Updated April 26, 2017

Full-time Part-time

Pros
  • Great work life balance and excellent team work environment, opportunity for good income potential and ability to do different things (in 12 reviews)

• Great work environment, people, challenges (in 14 reviews)

Cons
  • High stress considering how inconsequential this job is (in 8 reviews)

• Upper management is extremely risk averse making it challenging to try fresh ideas or even feel supported in trying new angles (in 8 reviews)

1. "Account Director"

Former Employee - Account Director in Denver, CO
    Former Employee - Account Director in Denver, CO

I worked at PR Newswire full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Dynamic Work Environment with flexibility

Cons

Recently acquired and mass reorganization has occurred

"Intern position"

Current Employee - Intern in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Intern in New York, NY

Pros

I was working for the U.S Product team. All the managers have extensive knowledge of the companies various product offerings.

Cons

Delay of communications, a lot of people work from home and some of them tend to respond to messages really slowly. Sometimes inefficient

Advice to Management

All the departments seem to work independently. It will be nice if there are certain interactions between two departments.

"Tired. Both the company and the job."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I worked at PR Newswire full-time

Pros

The people enjoy each other and there are a variety of clients to work with. The amount of paid time off is really nice too.

Cons

Extremely low pay, high turnover rate, low culture, employees openly express being dissatisfied and feeling disrespected. The business model is pretty top heavy so there are tons of VPs leaving little space for advancement or salary raises for young talent (thus it seems to be a revolving door). Upper management is extremely risk averse making it challenging to try fresh ideas or even feel supported in trying new angles. Many members of management spend more time micro-managing than actually working on their own projects and can be very lazy.

Advice to Management

Begin to value employees and perhaps there won't be such a high turnover rate.

"Account Manager"

Former Employee - Business Development Manager in Cleveland, OH
    Former Employee - Business Development Manager in Cleveland, OH

Pros

Good Work Environment and Culture. Generally good work life balance. Downtown location is convenient, and you do not need to take work home with you.

Cons

Management is shady and not a lot of room for advancement. A good place to start your career, but not a forever company. Position can get quite repetitive, and mostly involves cold calling customers and reading from a script.

Advice to Management

Provide more opportunities for training and advancement.

"Okay place to work"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Jersey City, NJ
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Jersey City, NJ

I worked at PR Newswire full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Get to work with great people. Relaxed environment while still being challenging. Most managers are willing to be flexible with work schedule if you have family obligations or are in school, etc. It's a decent place to start a career in communications because you have the opportunity to work with a lot of different customers.

Cons

Technology is outdated, which sometimes makes it difficult to provide a good customer experience. Staff morale is a low priority for management. Departments that need to work together to deliver projects are not usually on the same page.

Advice to Management

Show more appreciation for staff. Be more transparent. Department heads should work together to prioritize projects. Management should be reviewed as regularly as other staff.

7. "Manager"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cleveland, OH
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cleveland, OH

Pros

Great environment, great company culture

Cons

None that I can think of.

"Customer Content Specialist"

Former Employee - Customer Content Specialist in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Customer Content Specialist in Washington, DC

I worked at PR Newswire full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

- Strong relationships + Team Environment
    - Great Office Spaces
    - Fantastic Health Benefits (bcbs)
    - Lots of PTO
    - Great HR/Customer Service Team

Cons

- Low Wages (below average for washington dc)
    - Poor Employee Incentive Program
    - Zero Commuter Benefits; if you don't live in the city, you're screwed(no parking)
    - Not enough opportunities to move up, once you're a "Senior CCS" you're basically done in this department
    - High turnover Rate
    - Poor Management in this Department; exception of those at Director Level

Advice to Management

Support your team; don't hinder them. Try a more competitive salary. Allow teams to take responsibility and don't hover. Micromanaging is a HUGE issue in this department.

"High stress/poor management/ awesome co workers"

Former Employee - Senior Customer Content Specialist in Albuquerque, NM
    Former Employee - Senior Customer Content Specialist in Albuquerque, NM

I worked at PR Newswire full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

First off the only reason I lasted four and a half years was because of the amazing co workers I had. The office was very casual (most people wore jeans and t shirts everyday). Most of the other employees were young, open minded, and very diverse. The majority of the clients I dealt with were professional as well and I genuinely enjoyed interacting with them. The pay was fine for an entry level job in the area and the benefits were above average. Another thing I liked was that there was no work required after my shift ended. No client emails, calls, etc. Once you left the office you were done for the day. If you could leave the stress at the office then the work/life balance was good.
    Also the HR mangers were wonderful during my time there. They were very professional and helped me take care of any issues I had regarding benefits during my career at PR Newswire.

Cons

Very high turnover. Everyone is replaceable and the company clearly did not care about retaining anyone. Also Customer Content Managers were very inconsistent across the board. I had five managers in my four and a half years there and each focused on completely different goals. I had one outstanding manager and four that were only managers because they outlasted the majority of employees that worked there. They had no skills or personality to manage others and it was very obvious they had no idea what they were doing.
    The job is also very high stress and make no mistake- it's not an "editorial" department, it's a CALL CENTER and sales job. When I started the editorial team was NOT expected to make sales. Of course each year I was there, since press releases are no longer important to most companies, the editorial/customer content department was basically turned into another sales team to generate revenue for this dying industry. We were forced to pitch useless and out dated products to our clients. There is a ridiculous minimum pitch and sales goals for each "editorial" employee and you will get in trouble in it is not reached.
    I did not fully read one release the past few years I was there even though PR Newswire tells its clients that each release is read by an editor. Since sales and speed were valued above all else the quality of releases sent out went down drastically since I started there.
    The work is mind numbingly repetitive and stats driven. Everything is tallied (releases processed, calls taken, sales made, patches made, etc.) and if you don't reach the desired quota you will get written up or a warning. Several people were fired a year for not being robots and making human mistakes.
    If you luck out and get a good manager your experience will be vastly improved over a not great manager. I get that middle management is a pretty tough spot to be in but I was told that I was "too perky and no one thought I was doing anything" and that I needed to "check the work flow and make sure we weren't too busy before going to the bathroom" by my most recent manager. I don't even think it's legal to tell someone they can't use the restroom when they need to but at that point I was done with that company and didn't even bother to take it to HR. That day I decided I would rather beg my parents for money and work for minimum wage then deal with that situation. Luckily I now work for an amazing small business that I am very passionate about so it didn't come to that. I appreciate all the great people I met but I can't believe I lasted four and a half years. The majority of people only last a year or two on average.

Advice to Management

Please make sure you hire people who have the personality and skills to effectively manage people, not just because they outlasted everyone else. Also asking the employees to give feedback on their direct managers and acting on it would be very helpful.

"Needs improvement."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Ranchos de Albuquerque, NM
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Ranchos de Albuquerque, NM

I have been working at PR Newswire full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Decent benefits. If you really need a job, there is high turnover here.

Cons

There is a lack of consistency in what the job demands from you and it seems that the target is always changing. We are allowed to be pushed around by abusive clients.

Communication is poor.

Some of the people in management are rather childish. Management pits people against each other and does not care about solving problems, rather pointing fingers. And if your in poor favor with the management (it can be very cliquish), then other peoples bad behavior soon becomes your fault. Employees cannot have a reasonable discourse about issues with management. Some management is actually vindictive and enjoys causing problems for others.

The atmosphere is young and childish.

The work is boring, and not well thought out.

There is no way to advance. They have programs for improvement, but you are so caught up in work, that these programs can not be followed.

The environment is really bad for concentration. Some people are very loud and disruptive... and there is a lot of complaining that happens and in an environment where concentration is needed and precision is important that is very disruptive.

There is no appreciation for work that is done. If you work a busy day, touching 30 - 40 projects .. and a mistake is made, because you are being constantly interrupted in your workflow. You will get in trouble. No one pats you on the back for stepping up to the plate and doing good work.

Advice to Management

Cultivate management skills... where you actually are thoughtful in finding solutions to problems. Be thoughtful. Learn what people are doing in their jobs. Give people praise. Be fair.

11. "good place to work"

Current Employee - Financial Data Administrator in Summit, NJ
    Current Employee - Financial Data Administrator in Summit, NJ

I have been working at PR Newswire full-time (More than a year)

Pros

BUSINESS MODEL is a great one. P/R work best in class worldwide

Cons

No where to advance, no room for upgrade in pay