PRA Health Sciences Reviews | Glassdoor

3.5
PRA Health Sciences President, CEO & Director Colin Shannon
Colin Shannon

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "Work life balance and my manager" (in 86 reviews)

• "Ample vacation time and work from home privledges begin after 6 months of employment" (in 52 reviews)

Cons
  • "PRA tries very hard to ensure work-life balance, but this is still challenging in CRO environment" (in 32 reviews)

• "Upper management on studies could benefit from being more organized but overall fair management" (in 24 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Terrific Company"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Blue Bell, PA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Blue Bell, PA

I have been working at PRA Health Sciences full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I work in office full time and the facilities in Blue Bell are modern, pristine, and bright!
    4 weeks vacation to start
    Fun activities throughout the year
    PRA is constantly growing so many initiatives to refer friends and get a bonus!

Cons

Everything is great - can't come up with solid cons that could scare anyone away from working here.

2. "Clinical Research Associate"

Current Employee - Clinical Research Associate in Rogers, AR
    Current Employee - Clinical Research Associate in Rogers, AR

I have been working at PRA Health Sciences full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The training is better than any in the industry, and support from the highest levels of management is tangible. I feel completely supported since day 1, and I absolutely love my job.

Cons

Travel not considered as part of "days on site" metric.

Advice to Management

Perhaps count travel as some sort of contribution to the days on site metric. The travel world only seems to be getting busier, with more delays than ever, so travel time often rivals time on site. It would be great to get credit when you are stuck in the airport delays that you have no control over.

3. "Coworkers want to hang out outside of work - great environment!"

Current Employee - Project Analyst in Raleigh, NC
    Current Employee - Project Analyst in Raleigh, NC

I have been working at PRA Health Sciences full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Every job is going to have frustrating days and frustrating people... PRA is really great at making those days a little better. The teams are just fantastic at parties, happy hours, letting you leave early when you had a long day before. This is the first company I've worked for where people actually want to hang out outside of work.
    - All managers and upper level execs are SO good in asking 'what do you need from me?' They want to help, they want you to do your best, they want that study to do well
    - I think the pay is fair (very negotiable with experience). Other companies might have better pay, better location for you, but they cannot compare to the "family" PRA has worked hard on building
    - They are great with moving within the organization. No hard feelings come from it and managers want to see you grow. Even if you do find yourself in a role you do not like, you have other options besides just leaving the company
    - If a study ends, they will find a new position for you instead of just letting you go like most
    - There are festivals, NFL parties, Durham bulls games, the holiday party is the best. The volunteer events are so much fun and you get to to be involved with so many other positions you didn't know existed
    - Very horizontal organization
    - The PTO is great (20 days non-rollover), health benefits are good, 15 weeks of maternity leave, ability to work from home (depends on team, but most is 1 day after 6 months, 2 after a year. Otherwise, as needed)

Cons

- Training is slacking... would be interested in some classes to expand my knowledge of the industry (see Advice to Management)
    - Some long days, but, again, they do their best to make those deadlines easier by getting lunch, providing happy hours, etc.
    - They recently got rid of the yearly goals (blessing and a curse) and are meant to talk about that in your one-on-one. Sometimes its hard to bring up where you really stand and where you want to head without these guidelines. However, all managers seem to be so open and will tell you when something is wrong and will help you fix it. Its a great environment.

Advice to Management

Give a training once a month for any/all who want to attend covering, in detail, the different aspects of a CRO and positions within PRA. There are so many who start out with no CRO experience (or specific to one area) and really have no idea the path they could eventually take or how their roll ties into the big picture. For example - just one monthly course on bid defenses, budget/contract negotiations, CRA/CTM rolls, PZ, startup, how the data science team uses info.
    You can easily find tools online regarding the big picture of CROs... but the detail that goes into it would be very beneficial.

4. "One of the Better CROs, but still a CRO"

Current Employee - Clinical Team Manager in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Clinical Team Manager in Austin, TX

I have been working at PRA Health Sciences full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Dedicated line managers that are not also trying to manage projects, metrics are clear cut and obtainable, support is usually available

Cons

Constant changes in direction from upper management, inability to see beyond metrics, company is in the middle of aligning all personnel therapeutically and while it is about time, that has not been without significant challenges

5. "Good company with challenges"

Current Employee - Senior CRA in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Senior CRA in Boston, MA

I have been working at PRA Health Sciences full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Training and the people, support

Cons

Travel is not counted in on site metrics .

Advice to Management

Count travel time with days on site . Its significant .

6. "HR"

I have been working at PRA Health Sciences full-time

Pros

Great career advancement opportunity. Top notch work life balance.

Cons

Would like to see more employee wellness benefits

7. "very positive experice"

Current Employee - Drug Safety Associate in Charlottesville, VA
    Current Employee - Drug Safety Associate in Charlottesville, VA

I have been working at PRA Health Sciences full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Everyone here is friendly and willing to help or direct you towards someone that can. There is enough work to be done but not so much that you are overwhelmed. They are patient with learning curves and encourage questions. Ample vacation time and work from home privledges begin after 6 months of employment.

Cons

Slow start up. When you first join, it might be a little be slow initially getting you into regular work flow.

8. "Great benefits make up for lack of training"

Current Employee - TMF Coordinator in Lenexa, KS
    Current Employee - TMF Coordinator in Lenexa, KS

I have been working at PRA Health Sciences full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Amazing benefits including up to 6 weeks PTO, health, 401K and stock purchases.

Cons

Lack of thorough training when new processes are developed and understaffed regularly

Advice to Management

Develop training before implementing new processes

9. "Senior CRA"

Current Employee - Senior CRA
    Current Employee - Senior CRA

I have been working at PRA Health Sciences full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I’ve been lucky with my managers being supportive. Decent PTO package

Cons

Metrics rule this company. If we could be referred to by a number, we would. Travel time is never taken into account when looking at DOS. No rollover of PTO. Poor 401k match—it’s time to up that. Raises are low. ZERO bonus structure for CRAs. Everything is a metric. Extremely system heavy, and constantly adding more responsibility. Total site management is tough when you’re on the road. Hard to keep all the balls in the air. Current study demanding 10 DOS every month. CTMs seem to think they own you.

Advice to Management

Look at the cons above.

10. "Recruiter"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Blue Bell, PA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Blue Bell, PA

I worked at PRA Health Sciences full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

A wonderful organization to have worked for. Team - oriented and everyone was professional in getting their work done.

Cons

Nothing negative to say.

Advice to Management

The senior leaders are top notch and have the highest respect for them. I wish the organization continued success, growth in the future.