PRO Sports Club Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

3.7
Mark Dedomenico

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Free gym membership, good benefits, great pay, and discounts throughout the club (in 14 reviews)

• The free gym membership was great (in 11 reviews)

Cons
  • You work long hours and they don't approve overtime (in 5 reviews)

• sometimes management is not qualified, not much room for growth depending on department / position, health insurance is sub par (in 3 reviews)

"Personal Trainer"

Current Employee - Certified Personal Trainer in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Certified Personal Trainer in Seattle, WA

I have been working at PRO Sports Club full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great clients, full benefits, and you basically run your own business within their structure. Working with the 20/20 program is very rewarding. Excellent take-away pay for personal trainers in comparison to other gyms.

Cons

Strict dress code (track suit uniform, no visible tattoos, no facial piercings, natural colored hair... the list goes on). 1984-esque emphasis on being a flawless part of the club. If you don't work at the Bellevue flagship club, clients are much harder to get.

Advice to Management

Reconsider the extent of the grooming limitations. It is very much possible to have a professional appearance with a variety of grooming styles these days.

2. "Treats employees well"

I worked at PRO Sports Club part-time

Pros

Flexible scheduling, treats employees well, free gym membership

Cons

Pay is competitive although unexceptional

"Don't teach here."

Former Employee - Program Coordinator in Bellevue, WA
    Former Employee - Program Coordinator in Bellevue, WA

I worked at PRO Sports Club full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The teachers in Discovery Bay and the staff of other departments are all amazing people. The resources are all available if ever the leadership decides to use them properly.

Cons

On a big-picture scale, the company cares more about profit than education. On a smaller level, management of the programs in Discovery Bay (the preschool, daycare, and after school program) cares more about pleasing customers and making as much money as possible than the well-being of the children. If you like a critical and negative culture with passive-aggressive communication, favoritism among staff and clients and children, a director who is absent more than half of the time, inconsistent application of policies, undefined job responsibilities, being forced into things that aren't your job, and not growing professionally at all - then this is the job for you.

Advice to Management

Change the leadership in Discovery Bay to people who will take responsibility for its problems. Stop expanding until everything is moral and safe.

"Aquatics instructor"

Former Employee - Aquatics Instructor in Bellevue, WA
    Former Employee - Aquatics Instructor in Bellevue, WA

I worked at PRO Sports Club part-time (More than a year)

Pros

- good pay
    - free membership
    - nice and appreciative kids
    - rewarding to help kids
    - management was understanding when I had unreasonably dissatisfied clients.

Cons

- I felt that management was a bit invasive... I would get asked questions about my career goals that made me feel uncomfortable... I felt like they were asking more for their own knowledge rather than for what they claimed was to help me in my career. At the end of the day, of course their main goal would be to satisfy as many parents as possible.
    - I felt like management used friendliness to mask manipulative and pushy tactics...
    For example, the main manager came to me one day with, "You're so wonderful I know you'll be ok if you don't start your privates until next week." She had previously said they would start the current week. The result of this would be I would make less money. If I said no in a situation like this, I would look like a rude employee.
    - Rude and volatile parents

Advice to Management

Integrate honesty, this might make employees feel better and less likely to leave.

5. "Performance Coach"

Former Employee - Performance Coach in Bellevue, WA
    Former Employee - Performance Coach in Bellevue, WA

I worked at PRO Sports Club full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Good learning experience for new trainers

Cons

The employee's are treated as very disposable. Very high turnover rate. Long hours, split shifts.

Advice to Management

Treat the employee's like you care.

6. "Many Pros"

I have been working at PRO Sports Club part-time

Pros

Great opportunities to grow, impressive training and support.

Cons

Inconsistent schedule in a competitive environment

7. "Sugar Coated"

I have been working at PRO Sports Club part-time

Pros

Good people. Understanding and everyone gets along.

Cons

Managers don't act upon their word.

8. "PRO Sports Club is a great place to work"

I have been working at PRO Sports Club full-time

Pros

The people here are amazing. Working here is like being a part of a big family. The pay is competitive and the upper management sincerely cares about every one of their employees.

Cons

Sometimes feels like not a lot of thought goes into new programs and there isn't always the best communication between departments.

9. "PRO Sports Club"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bellevue, WA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bellevue, WA

I worked at PRO Sports Club full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Typically great people work at PRO Club. Customers are definitely the #1 priority.

Cons

There seems to be a lot of "Need to Know" attitude amongst some of the management. This creates an atmosphere, or feeling, of distrust and frustration with many of the non-management staff.
    Many times, depending on the department, the employees felt underappreciated, or even "second-class."
    The PRO Best Rewards were a nice thought, but they were not well distributed; opportunities to earn rewards were much greater on some teams. Outlying departments or teams were often overlooked, even when working very hard, as they were more "behind-the-scenes."

Advice to Management

Top Brass has a definitive view of the company and its employees. This may get lost in translation when it comes to some Upper and Middle Management leaders.

10. "Great Company!"

Former Employee - Recruiter in Bellevue, WA
    Former Employee - Recruiter in Bellevue, WA

I worked at PRO Sports Club full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Competitive pay for most positions with a fun atmosphere and supportive management team.

Cons

The uniforms can be a bummer, but they do make getting ready in the morning easy!

Advice to Management

Not everyone should stick around to be a manager. If you are bored with your job but keep getting promoted, think about looking for a job elsewhere. The company is fiercely loyal (and sometimes to a fault) to people who stick with them.