PROS Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated December 24, 2016

Rating Trends Rating Trends
PROS President, CEO, and Director Andres D. Reiner
Andres D. Reiner

Pros
  • smart people, great culture, interesting work (in 16 reviews)

• Good work-life balance, working from home is encouraged (in 8 reviews)

Cons
  • The promotion guidelines are not clear also there is no clear career path for the employees (in 10 reviews)

• So much work and new wins that internal processes are stressed for capacity (in 5 reviews)

"A Brief & Baffling Adventure"

Former Employee - Product Support in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Product Support in Houston, TX

I worked at PROS full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

All other concerns aside, there are some really comfortable parts of working at PROS. There's a break room on every floor that's stocked with good coffee and a range of snacks. People are generally given space to work where they want, how they want. The office is centrally located and the TVs are huge. There are employee-centered events constantly, so there's never a shortage of social engagement. The people are extremely nice. I liked a lot of them.

Be careful with the snacks though. They use healthy language and all, but I accidentally lived on them for a while and my blood sugar spiked to levels that concerned my doctor.

The money and benefits are top-notch though, no lie. If you have a family or want stability for any other reason, you could do a lot worse than this place.

Cons

The downsides of this place, though, can be significant - depending on your personality type and expectations. In the end, I think that PROS and I were not well-suited to each other. I was used to environments with high-visibility deliverables and deep user-vendor relationships, where accountability and effectiveness were really important. As such, when I saw processes that didn't work (or places where no process existed at all), I tried to change that. But PROS is not a place where accountability can thrive - I don't mean that as an insult, it's just not that kind of place - and so the pressure I exerted just made everyone uncomfortable. Eventually, I abandoned my efforts, and a while later they abandoned theirs (aka fired me).

While it was a relief to me to not have to fill out .25-hour-increment details on my timesheets like I did at other previous employers, the permissiveness of the company's timekeeping swings all the way into complete disregard. I was never asked to justify anything I put on my timesheet, and management never reviewed anything about our work with us.

Hours weren't the only thing we didn't actually track - despite repeatedly asking for answers to simple questions like "how many customers do we have on this product?" and "what am I supposed to be doing?" I was never able to get much of an idea of what was going on around me. This seemed to be generally a result of a string of reactionary reorganizations and rebrandings that gave a frequent impression that managers were trying to fill dead air with something, anything, as long as it keeps the gears turning.

Honestly, this is probably a pretty common strategy, so I only list it as a negative because in this company's case the absurdity of it was ratcheted up to the point where people around the office make jokes about it constantly. Flyers would appear announcing new initiatives in vague and exciting language, only to be replaced by a new and even more exciting one three months later, with nothing having happened in between.

But hey, it's a technology services company. If you're in this line of work, then all of this stuff is pretty standard. The bustle and irritation, the anxious lack of information, the manufactured culture - OH!

The manufactured culture thing is a particularly funny story. At one all-hands meeting we were, no joke, instructed to "laugh as hard as you can until I tell you to stop." It was an attempt to illustrate that fun work environments start with earnest effort from individual people. You know, the sort of "smile, you'll feel better!" kind of messaging. Except when someone with a microphone is commanding you to be happy, well, it stops being wishy-washy corporate pandering and it starts being something far more totalitarian and frightening. 2016! It's a time when otherwise-rational people actually choose to do this stuff. Go figure.

Anyway, it's all just busy work. I tried really hard to find high-value work while I was there, and I managed to do a couple things. I couldn't really get a handle on how I could be more valuable to them, and when I asked people just got mad. Eventually, I was fired without warning, in the middle of the afternoon in the middle of the week. I was never informed that I was in danger of losing my job (mid-year reviews "went away" this year), they refused to give me ANY explanation of what was happening, and when they mailed me my belongings, most of them were smashed. What a beautiful coda to a completely confusing experience.

"Mixed Review"

I worked at PROS full-time

Pros

Base pay is below average, but a good bonus and stock compensation structure. Decent benefits relative to the cost. The company is getting bigger, but still small enough to be able to know many people. Public company means stock compensation is possible. Solid software product and customer base. The company has been around for some time, so there is some stability.

Cons

A click-oriented culture with few decision-makers. It takes a very long time to get things done such as agree on customer deal terms, purchase equipment, and make hiring decisions. Employees have little latitude to make decisions. At Facebook and Google you have employees unleashed, and they grow rapidly by "breaking things." At PROS there is an obsession with consensus to the point of analysis paralysis, and the company's growth has lagged more dynamic ones. Building is not in the best part of town, especially at night, though the parking deck is attached to the building.

Advice to Management

It seems to be a major focus of management to focus on image to outsiders, but far less on actually understanding and improving the company's operations. This would not be so detrimental if employees had more autonomy and measured risks were allowed.

"Everyone was on their way out"

I worked at PROS full-time

Pros

The development team was full of bright, talented people. The environment was relaxed and there were plenty of free snacks. Also the location was great for food options.

Cons

The test team had very little support or leadership. Upper management would have much rather outsourced the whole department and did not have any kind of career path in place.

Advice to Management

Spend more time understanding the problems faced by employees. Give the employees the ability to grow and gain new skills rather than looking for cheap outsourcing solutions that will only be a temporary patch.

"No room for growth"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

I worked at PROS (More than a year)

Pros

Good culture and health and employee benefits

Cons

Not aggressive in area of marketing, no room for growth

6. "Opportunity abounds!"

Current Employee - Content Specialist in Spring, TX
    Current Employee - Content Specialist in Spring, TX

I have been working at PROS full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

I like the flexible schedule, self-management, team oriented project plans and professional employees. There is a lot of opportunity to move around the company.

Cons

Pros compensation lags behind in the market. They also need to work with employees to help them develop skills and certifications.

Advice to Management

Although I understand why you are so focused on sales personnel, by neglecting other departments, you are missing opportunities to elevate the company to preeminent status.

"Beginning of the end?"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

I worked at PROS full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Awesome work environment from a people perspective. Good problem solving and team environment. Good work life balance.

Cons

Not enough organizational structure for a public company. H/R is totally unprofessional and needs all staff replaced. They don't know how to hire good people and keep them. Turnover is very high due to lack of good management/leadership.
    "Good ol'boy" mentality in most departments.

Advice to Management

Fire the COO. Salesforce.com fired him for a reason. The sooner he is replaced, the quicker the company will make the turn for the better. Also, the F/A department needs to be redefined and priorities changed.

8. "Not bad, not great"

Former Intern - Software Engineering Intern in Houston, TX
    Former Intern - Software Engineering Intern in Houston, TX

I worked at PROS as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

Nice teams, excellent project selection for interns (interns have a LOT of say in what they want to work on), excellent flexibility in projects, friendly people and atmosphere

Cons

not very competitive pay, bleak office, and a wide range of difficulty in projects (some may appear to be harder, but end up being easy)

Advice to Management

Raise the pay for interns and potentially have a larger internship program. Standardize the project difficulty across teams and enforce more intern interaction across teams.

"Great smart people"

Former Employee - Manager
    Former Employee - Manager

I worked at PROS full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

When I was at PROS they were definitely struggling from a lack of strong product leadership. That said, I really like the people that worked there and an all-hands on deck mentality. I believe they have righted a lot of issues that were around when I worked at PROS.

Cons

Lack of strategy and functional discipline...but again, I think they made some great hires over the past two years.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you are doing.

"Needs to Grow Up"

Pros

Smart people, great products, awesome location. Company prides itself on being hip.

Cons

Management is not unified. No clear direction on career paths. Very political.

Advice to Management

Start pulling in the same direction & communicate more often. Senior executives need to get around more-no one sees them.

11. "Place to work"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

Pros

People are helpful here. Good place to work

Cons

No training on current projects