PS Business Parks Reviews | Glassdoor

PS Business Parks Reviews

1.0
Maria Hawthorne

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • It also ensures that employees are able to maintain a healthy work-life balance (in 3 reviews)

• This is a finacially strong company that allows its leasing team to negotiate deals (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • PSB was experiencing high turnover under the former CEO, but I believe the new CEO, Maria has been working diligently to fix this (in 6 reviews)

• Upper management is so oblivious as to what goes on in each office (in 4 reviews)

"Bring your own plates, forks, knifes, and cups. Ridiculously lean."

Former Employee - Lease Administrator in Glendora, CA
    Former Employee - Lease Administrator in Glendora, CA

I worked at PS Business Parks full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

While at this place I could not see much that I could qualify as Pros.

Cons

For a small environment, there seems to be a lot of employee friction and a lot of firings. Nothing to learn here, overall quality of work force is low. You will not feel surrounded by smart people with whom one can learn and improve. Boring days inside a box-like building located in a very industrial area. Company offers little to no benefits, except for a lousy 401K which is matched only after 1 year of service. All one gets from this company is a salary, period.

Advice to Management

Please make an effort to at least stock the kitchen with the minimum necessary gadgets such as forks, knifes, and plates. How costly to a company can this be?

"Avoid it if you have any other options."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Miami, FL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Miami, FL

I have been working at PS Business Parks full-time

Pros

Good benefits and free soda

Cons

To begin, you will receive little to no training and very little help because the other employees are so busy with their own work. You will be reprimanded and ridiculed in front of others at the weekly meeting. In addition, leadership will talk badly about employees in front of the office staff. This poor leadership has resulted in an overall organizational climate of mistrust and an "every man for himself" attitude. Lots of finger-pointing Unfortunately, the employees are under constant stress wondering if they will be the next target.

The company operates lean so you are expected to produce reports and conduct business using equipment that is outdated and in a state of disrepair.

No matter how busy you are, you will also be required to produce a list of all of the tasks that you have completed each day and forward it daily to the Vice President so she will know exactly what you're doing each day.

Turnover is high and I have seen more than 1 employee in tears. More than a few have indicated that if something better came along, they'd be gone.

Advice to Management

With the high turnover rate, there is obviously a problem. Understand that negative leadership behavior results in a significant negative impact to the organization's bottom line. It's pretty obvious where the problem lies.

"Company Culture is TOXIC!"

I worked at PS Business Parks full-time

Pros

Three weeks of vacation after one year of service.

Cons

Remember those CareerBuilder commercials, aired especially during the Super Bowl, which showed Chimpanzees running AMOK over a corporate office with one Very Dejected Human Employee? Well, this is what it’s like at PS Business Parks. This representation may be extreme but it’s absolutely the truth! Past negative reviews are accurate- “High Turnover Rate”, “Incredible Unprofessionalism”, “Seems Disorganized At Times”, Training Is Poor To Non-Existent, “Under Appreciated"; and “They Run VERY Lean”. It’s amazing how upper management, particularly the executives, treat/view their employees, particularly those considered “lower level” and even middle management, with disrespect and couldn’t-care-less attitude.

Another issue with this company is lack of effective communication between corporate headquarters and their field offices along with a level of distrust between the two. When there is communication it is often construed as rude or condescending mainly from the directors at corporate.

Lastly, PS Business Parks has a historically horrible reputation for paying their employees below industry standards and poorly develops/mentors their most promising employees, resulting in high turnover, mass confusion, and lousy morale throughout the organization. The sad part is that the executives and board of directors accepted this status quo long ago and simply don’t care about their most valuable asset- their employees. To finish, the Company Culture at PS Business Parks is TOXIC! IT STINKS!!!

Advice to Management

Recognize that their employees are their greatest asset! Treat each employee with RESPECT. Don't have a Marie-Antoinette’s “Let them eat cake” philosophy towards your employees.

"Good Business Results but Poor People Retention and Growth Opportunities"

I worked at PS Business Parks full-time

Pros

Except for mgmt there are some great people to work with. Unfortunately, many probably will leave.

Cons

Operate VERY lean with about 150 employees including Sr. Mgmt, maintenance, etc. High turnover and lack of follow thru on executive committments. Bottom line is all that matters which means the individual is of no concern - not even time to train new people. And with high turnover there is a lack of good people who could even train.

Advice to Management

Invest in your people. If you are satisfied with NOI now, it would be even better if you retained your people and had a strong, knowledgeable team instead of a revolving door. Train and support the development of people. Don't just pay lip service to this.

"An All Around Rotten Company. AVOID!"

I worked at PS Business Parks full-time

Pros

None to speak of. Terrible experience.

Cons

Unbelievably unprofessional and unethical management team.

"Value and train your people."

Pros

Not much except most employees are hard workers, struggling as you are.

Cons

Lean, lean company. Positions with similar titles at other companies, do not have the broad workload (without support) that this company has. And they just push for more, while reducing staff and are never appreciative. If you make a previously set goal, you still won't get full bonus becuase it's assumed the goal was not sufficient. What? Anyway to save a buck at employees' expense.

Advice to Management

Sr. mgmt thinks company results is all do to them and only pays lip service in recognizing their people. Start valuing and training in all positions, or eventually you won't be able to give away your job.

"Embraced egos, not experience"

I worked at PS Business Parks full-time

Pros

Eager attitude, bonus driven pay scale

Cons

Most of the newer region is very inexperienced prior to being hired. There was a lack of upper management which led to incredible unprofessionalism, including cutting corners on property repairs and rude/unprofessional behavior towards tenants. On multiple occasions heard managers arguing with tenants and vendors alike on the phone - of which is completely unneccessary from a professional standpoint. Eager to kick tenants out when they didn't pay, yet the accounting was always a mess and incorrect. (Haphazard record keeping and calculations). Property Managers often unfamiliar with what is and is not legal and often mishandled property issues by winging it. Upper management largely unaware - but saw the bottom line was met and just assumed all was well.

"Keep looking unless you want to stay long enough to gain some skills"

I worked at PS Business Parks full-time

Pros

You can learn a lot which makes you valuable to other employers.

Cons

Company has been cutting field staff to improve NOI while adding staff to corporate. Company is oblivious or doesn't care how hard field offices work but want to make sure they have enough staff at corporate. Training is poor to non-existent. Turnover is high as staff quickly burns out from overwork and can find higher pay elsewhere. Company only values its people for what they can produce and shows little appreciation for results. Just wants more and more.

Advice to Management

Appreciate your people and train them. Reduce turnover which will improve your results so you don't keep cutting staff.

"A job at this company is not worth the agony!!"

I have been working at PS Business Parks (More than 8 years)

Pros

After working at this company I am not so sure I can come up with any good reasons to work here!! Be forewarned!! If I could send this without any stars I would but am forces to rate with at least a one star, but they do not deserve even that!

Cons

From what I hear all offices are poorly managed and I have first hand experience with the office I work in. The So Cal division appears to be the worst of them all. The inappropriate things I have seen going on at company functions and within the office environment itself would make a persons hair curl! There is absolutely no respect for others even at the management level. They seem to allow anyone to be a manager at this company whether they have experience or not. It says in their jobs ads a degree is required but I have witnessed many in the office getting promoted without that degree, extreme biased behavior and favoritism not only from management but from the HR department as well. Management is pretty full of themselves with no good reason, these managers are some of the worst I have come across in my years of working. Unprofessional contradictory behavior abounds, in all areas! Middle management would be at the top of that list~! Believe me customers see all that goes on as well and I have had many complaints from customers as to how they have been treated, none of it being positive!!

Advice to Management

I believe if upper management would pay closer attention to what goes on in the satellite offices with the managers they have put in charge they would be ashamed to have given them such liberties to do whatever they want regardless of how it effects others beneath them!! Yes I said beneath because unless you are one of their favorites that is exactly how they want you to feel to keep you under their control. Nothing good about this company!

"WORST PLACE EVER!!"

I have been working at PS Business Parks full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

You can come and go as you please, just say you're on the property or showing space, no one will ever know the difference. You can pretty much dress however you want, no real dress code. Free lunch on occasion.

Cons

Upper management is so oblivious as to what goes on in each office. The offices are run based on favoritism, if you're well liked, you're totally in, but if you don't play their games, they will put you through living Hell. No one can be trusted, the gossip spreads like wild fire! I've heard that all divisions company wide are run this way, but they say the So Cal Division is the worst to work in! I can't imagine anything being worse than where I am right now, so I guess I should be thankful!

Advice to Management

Keep a close eye on management at all levels, they're not who you think they are and steal from you left and right.