PS Business Parks Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

3.3
Maria Hawthorne

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • It also ensures that employees are able to maintain a healthy work-life balance (in 3 reviews)

• This is a finacially strong company that allows its leasing team to negotiate deals (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • PSB was experiencing high turnover under the former CEO, but I believe the new CEO, Maria has been working diligently to fix this (in 6 reviews)

• Upper management is so oblivious as to what goes on in each office (in 4 reviews)

1. "PS Business Parks-Corporate"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Glendale, CA

I have been working at PS Business Parks full-time (More than a year)

Pros

My employment at PS Business Parks has been one of the best work experiences in my career! For the past one year and a half, I have had the opportunity to learn more than I have learned in any previous position held with another company, which is priceless. Furthermore, I have received the best support and direction from colleagues and upper management.

PS Business Park's size is one of its greatest advantages, as one is able to become familiar with almost all of the employees in some capacity, which in return, creates a "family-like" experience at work. In addition, the team at PS Business Parks is one that is unlike any other-- everyone is super kind, professional, knowledgeable, and most importantly, collaborative.

The upper management team is very involved and has a vested interest in the employees and the success of the Company. The CEO, Maria Hawthorne, is an exemplary leader and an example of someone who has no limits, as she has worked with the company for 32 years, from Administrative Assistant to President and Chief Executive Officer. Ms. Hawthorne is sincerely interested in all of the Company's employees, strives to create a happy & healthy workplace, and is passionate about seeing employees succeed. She is involved in all aspects of the Company's operations and is extremely approachable and personable, which creates a level of comfort for all employees. Needless to say, she is a super savvy, intelligent businesswoman that holds her own in the super competitive commercial real estate & REIT industry.

I feel fortunate to be an employee of PS Business Parks, as I know that the Company is sincere and has the best interest of both the employees and the Company's success at hand. It is also comforting to know how financially stable and secure PS Business Parks has maintained itself to be despite the ever- changing real estate market and economic environment.

Cons

I do not have any cons to mention at this time.

2. "Great Company Culture!"

Current Employee - Property Manager

I have been working at PS Business Parks full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

- Co-workers, RMs, VPs and Corporate leaders have an open door policy and are always willing to provide support.
    - Company culture encourages strong customer service while making smart business decisions.
    - Managers are encouraged to think like owners.
    - I feel like I am valued and heard.

Cons

- Hoping to see more advancements in technology!

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work of making your employees feel important!

3. "Great Culture and Supportive environment"

Current Employee - Property Manager in Miami, FL
    Current Employee - Property Manager in Miami, FL

I have been working at PS Business Parks full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

PS Business Parks strives to create an environment where employees feel valued. It also ensures that employees are able to maintain a healthy work-life balance. The company supports employees in their daily work through the assistance of the team leaders and senior managers.

Cons

I do not have any Cons.

Advice to Management

Let's keep hiring and retaining the best in the industry, so we could outperform the competition.

4. "The Place for Career Growth"

Current Employee - Property Manager

I have been working at PS Business Parks full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Promotion and opportunity is based on merit. It is also a company that will allow you to be moved from one department to another. You can go from leasing to property management and vice versa. The CEO started as an admin in corporate accounting and moved all the way to the top. The company listens to the concerns of the employees and is always trying to make this a better place to work.

Cons

The company has a history of performing above the market and this can lead to a lot of expectations to always outperform.

Advice to Management

Continue the employee engagement surveys. You listened and created change. It makes me feel like I'm contributing to the whole company.

5. "PS Business Parks"

Former Employee - Senior Property Manager in Lake Forest, CA
    Former Employee - Senior Property Manager in Lake Forest, CA

I worked at PS Business Parks full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

The company is solid financially. During the bad economy, the company remained very stable. Their stock continues to do very well. They work very hard at being the best in the business at what they do. The portfolio of real estate is run very tight. They take the real estate as far as possible. They run a tight ship. Marie

Cons

Not enough people. Very heavy workload.

Advice to Management

Staff up in order for the employees to have a reasonable workload.

"Associate Property Manager"

I worked at PS Business Parks full-time

Pros

-Decent salary
    -some friendly people
    -easy tenants
    -weekends off
    -great leasing team

Cons

-micromanagement
    -demoralizing operations team
    -emphasis on separation between departments
    -annoying property manager (especially the SM portfolio - control freak)
    -salaried employees are expected to work OT and weekends or you're frowned upon
    -slow responses from HR
    -stressful

Advice to Management

Clean up your PM positions. Diversify it with some male managers in the NorCal region, create a bootcamp for micromanagers so that they learn to chill the hell out.

7. "Financially Sound, Career Development Opportunities, Rewards Hard Work"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Glendale, CA

Pros

Great work-life balance for employees. It's been my experience that hard work is rewarded with advancement opportunities. PSB is on solid financial ground and has zero debt. The new CEO, Maria Hawthorne has been hyper focused on employee retention and working to upgrade company culture. Understand that recognition is earned and not an entitlement. Be willing to ask questions and take on responsibilities outside of your normal day to day tasks. This shows you are engaged and looking for more growth. Managers will recognize this and give you more opportunities. Management would always prefer to promote from within the company than hire from outside. I'm excited to see where this company grows over the next 5 years.

Cons

PSB was experiencing high turnover under the former CEO, but I believe the new CEO, Maria has been working diligently to fix this.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what your doing. Change doesn't happen overnight, but I believe we are moving in the right direction.

"Outstanding Career Opportunity w/Rock Solid Company"

Pros

PSB is a great company that provides unique long term career opportunities with one of the strongest real estate companies in the nation. I appreciate their decentralized operating platform that allows team members to make decisions as an "owner". PSB allows its employees to wear multiple hats which accelerates learning and development.

Cons

While I don't think its a con, be prepared to work hard, accountable to results, resourceful and a self starter.

"Company Culture is TOXIC!"

I worked at PS Business Parks full-time

Pros

Three weeks of vacation after one year of service.

Cons

Remember those CareerBuilder commercials, aired especially during the Super Bowl, which showed Chimpanzees running AMOK over a corporate office with one Very Dejected Human Employee? Well, this is what it’s like at PS Business Parks. This representation may be extreme but it’s absolutely the truth! Past negative reviews are accurate- “High Turnover Rate”, “Incredible Unprofessionalism”, “Seems Disorganized At Times”, Training Is Poor To Non-Existent, “Under Appreciated"; and “They Run VERY Lean”. It’s amazing how upper management, particularly the executives, treat/view their employees, particularly those considered “lower level” and even middle management, with disrespect and couldn’t-care-less attitude.

Another issue with this company is lack of effective communication between corporate headquarters and their field offices along with a level of distrust between the two. When there is communication it is often construed as rude or condescending mainly from the directors at corporate.

Lastly, PS Business Parks has a historically horrible reputation for paying their employees below industry standards and poorly develops/mentors their most promising employees, resulting in high turnover, mass confusion, and lousy morale throughout the organization. The sad part is that the executives and board of directors accepted this status quo long ago and simply don’t care about their most valuable asset- their employees. To finish, the Company Culture at PS Business Parks is TOXIC! IT STINKS!!!

Advice to Management

Recognize that their employees are their greatest asset! Treat each employee with RESPECT. Don't have a Marie-Antoinette’s “Let them eat cake” philosophy towards your employees.

"PS Business Parks"

Pros

Company values work life balance.

Cons

High turnover rate. Limited promotional opportunities.