PS Lightwave Reviews | Glassdoor

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Making a difference"

Current Employee - Leadershp
    Current Employee - Leadershp

I have been working at PS Lightwave full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The company culture "GRIT" (Growth, Respect, Integrity, Trust) is promoted, supported and demonstrated daily. This company values its customers and employees.

Cons

No real issues to mention. Company is in high growth mode and employees are encouraged to lead and grow.

Advice to Management

Lead by example and focus on "GRIT" daily, remembering to always have fun.

2. "Lineman"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

I worked at PS Lightwave full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great company culture. If you remain with the company for long enough (5+ years) you will grow right along with the company.

Cons

You will not be making any money unless you put in an extreme amount of overtime and even then you will still feel like they owe you. If you are able to suck it up for enough time, then expect to move up when new positions are created.

Advice to Management

Stop low balling your employees. All you are doing is setting them up by training them to leave your company for better opportunities

3. "Looks great on the outside, not on the inside"

Pros

The people you work with are really great. You'll have a lot of opportunities to learn from each other

Cons

Pay is only average. Being told everyone is expendable and that making money is what matters is harmful to morale. No one is ever quite certain what is going on with anything, there's poor communication and ill-defined roles. Company started to go downhill when money became more important than the people who actually provide the labor to make the money

Advice to Management

Executives that care about money over people are harmful

"Excellent place to work if you are not part of the in house splice crew"

Former Employee - Fiber Optic Technician in Jersey Village, TX
    Former Employee - Fiber Optic Technician in Jersey Village, TX

I worked at PS Lightwave full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The pay for a fiber tech is great. The CEO, Rhonda Cook, takes care of her employees in multiple ways. great benefits, bonuses, weekly yoga, monthly charity drives, the G.R.I.T program, and all kinds of extra programs for her employees. She also holds quarterly meetings to show you exactly what is going on in the company. All around excellent place to work if you work in the corporate office and are not in the field.

Cons

If you work as a field fiber optic splicer many of the things mentioned above (minus benefits and bonuses) are not open to you. There are constant fiber outages on their 99% aerial network which means you will spend most of your time at work. There is absolute no balance between work and home life for a field splicer and no move by upper management to ease the stress off their in house technicians. This includes buying new, quality, equipment and making time for proper training. The ongoing legal battle been PS Lightwave and the company they came from, Phonoscope, actively hinders restoration progress on cable outages because the constant worry of lawsuit.

Advice to Management

Dont be afraid to spend money on quality equipment and tools for your in house splice crew. Make time for proper training for your in house splice crew. Actively to work towards a better Work/Life balance for your in house splice crew. You cannot work your employees into the ground and expect them to keep working for you when there are 1000 different fiber companies looking for techs.

5. "Admin"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

I have been working at PS Lightwave full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Caring, respectful, and fun atmosphere that is structured enough so that there is clarity regarding company and individual goals, transparency to feel connected and understand what is going on. This is a place where I feel I make a difference and am appreciated.

Cons

I love the office space but you need to be able to thrive in a collaborative, open concept work environment.

Advice to Management

Please continue the recognition of employees who exhibit outstanding work and examples of the company values. The unlimited training courses and lunch and learns are amazing.

"Fair"

I worked at PS Lightwave (More than 3 years)

Pros

The best thing is the family environment. I really enjoyed working along side my Coworkers and with direct management.

Cons

Upper management does a lot of micromanaging of its employess.
    After a while some of the work becomes rudimentary.
    There seemed to be no room for advancement. If you have ambition and want to grow in your field, then this isn't the job for you.

Advice to Management

Provide more opportunities for upward advancement...not just more work and lateral movement.

7. "People and culture are cherished!"

Current Employee - Network Director and Architect in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Network Director and Architect in Houston, TX

I have been working at PS Lightwave (More than 10 years)

Pros

We have GRIT! Growth, Respect, Integrity, and Trust. In today's corporate workplace it is rare to work for a company who's culture revolves around how we treat each other and our customers. These are our the key stones and building blocks we use as we grow and continue to be a great company

Cons

Can be a bit hectic at times as is the nature of being a service provider. As we get older time becomes more relative and not having enough of it seems to be the norm.

Advice to Management

Continue to put we the people first. We love those ata boy's you give out even if it is as simple as a thanks or kind word. Never loose site of those of us that have helped make this company what it is.

8. "Exciting Year!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

I have been working at PS Lightwave full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The company has seen a lot of growth this year and there have been a lot of promotions. I can really see that the leadership are interested in growing the company from within. We are valued and it shows. We have great wellness benefits, like a free gym membership, weekly on-site yoga classes and 15% reimbursement on Snap Kitchena and My Fit Foods purchases.

Cons

Would like more face time with my supervisor. Other than that, things are pretty good, overall.

Advice to Management

I'd like to see more opportunities and to volunteer and more company incentive for community work and volunteer work for the employees.

9. "Wonderful Leadership"

I have been working at PS Lightwave full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

The management team at Phonoscope LightWave are amazing - dedicated, caring individuals who really want to see everyone grow in their fields. They have ambitious goals and work to bring the whole team into the picture. At the same time, they are respectful of family obligations and the health and well-being of their employees. I personally feel like I have learned so much in the time I've been employed by them, and they let me know that I am trusted to do my job without micromanagement.

Cons

The only downside to working with Phonoscope LightWave is not the fault of the leadership. There is a sister company that we used to be tied more closely to and the growing pains of separating the companies have been felt by all.

Advice to Management

Hang in there; trust that we want to support you as much as you support us; don't forget to stop and smell the daisies once in a while.

10. "Vice President and General Counsel"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

I have been working at PS Lightwave full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

It is a fast paced yet friendly work environment that challenges my skills. It has been one of the best places to work.

Cons

i wish I had a window in my office but if thats the biggest problem, so what!

Advice to Management

A personal parking space would be nice or at least something closer to the office.