PSAV Reviews | Glassdoor

2.0
PSAV CEO Mike McIlwain
Mike McIlwain

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Lots of opportunities within the company (in 18 reviews)

• Supportive leaders, great benefits, plenty of room for advancement (in 14 reviews)

Cons
  • Work-Life balance is out of control sometimes (in 44 reviews)

• Long hours, most hotels seem to be understaffed (in 51 reviews)

"Those seeking growth opportunities and non-toxic work environments need not apply"

Current Employee - Salaried Employee in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Salaried Employee in Washington, DC

Pros

Provides stable salaried employment in a seasonal industry

Cons

Regional and Area Management are unreliable, unreachable, and are possibly too out of touch to help. If you can't get something done or fix a systemic problem yourself, don't expect it to get done.

Raises are awarded on a popularity basis within this market, rather than on accomplishments or effort. If, once during your employment, you so much as personally irk any of the Team Leaders, Area Managers, or any one of the other various titles that have been installed above property level, you should expect to be demoted and/or be passed over for a raise for the foreseeable future.

Advice to Management

Rebuild the D.C. regional management team from the top down.

2. "Good for experience, but overworked and not payed well."

Former Employee - V Tech II/Videographer in Fort Lauderdale, FL
    Former Employee - V Tech II/Videographer in Fort Lauderdale, FL

I worked at PSAV (More than a year)

Pros

Good for the experience.
    Good for Networking.

Cons

Terrible Hours, Over worked, Low Pay and poor management

Advice to Management

Get a Clue

3. "Technition"

Former Employee - Technician in Jersey City, NJ
    Former Employee - Technician in Jersey City, NJ

I worked at PSAV part-time (More than a year)

Pros

great entry level experience

Cons

you could work full-time hours, but not be made a full-time employee

Advice to Management

don't be so stingy

"Company needs improvement as a whole."

Current Employee - Audio Visual Technician in Tampa, FL
    Current Employee - Audio Visual Technician in Tampa, FL

I have been working at PSAV full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The employees are the only good thing about the company. The technology they use is ok could be much better.

Cons

Assistant director is great anyone higher in status not so much. Raises need to be given the 1st of January not in May busy season is from January to April for most properties. Employees don't reap the benefits until the next year unacceptable.

Advice to Management

Listen to your employees and hire qualified personnel...

"Lead A/V Tech"

Former Employee - Lead Tech A/V in Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Lead Tech A/V in Dallas, TX

I worked at PSAV full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Some big shows, good experience for newcomers

Cons

the gear is in a constant state of disrepair, the techs are treated like roadies, low pay for the work, impossible to advance in a timely manner.

Advice to Management

trust your employees to do the job, stop treating employees as disposable, buy some NEW gear

6. "Seen better. Seen worse. Must be average I guess."

Former Employee - AV Technician in Tulsa, OK
    Former Employee - AV Technician in Tulsa, OK

I worked at PSAV part-time

Pros

Autonomy. Set ups depended on my judgement.

Cons

Micro management. My manager spent more time filling out reports, than actual value added to the client experience. Save the useless analysis for an exercise in your TQM class. Good customer service does not need to be complicated. People are not robots.

Advice to Management

Learn to properly select professionals. Eliminate reports and paperwork. Your desire to quantify and qualify relationships with statistics will never, ever work.

"Sales Manager (Houston/New Orleans)"

Former Employee - Sales Manager in New Orleans, LA
    Former Employee - Sales Manager in New Orleans, LA

I worked at PSAV full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Decent Pay with commission bonus.

Free food at some properties. This helps you save money on tight months..

Felt respect by RVP and Area Manager. I felt that I could communicate with them about issues that I had.

Cons

Where do I start...

Pricing is ludicrous and so inconsistent with the rest of the industry. Directors, Technicians or Sales Managers who come from other companies are sure to remind you of that whenever they can. Your managers will have a "it is what it is" mindset about the pricing until the hotel drops the hammer . Most successful production companys got their foot in the door with PSAV and know that if they get their client to complain loud enough you will have to drop pricing. Superiors will push you to charge those high prices to increase overall growth; even if there is history that they have never paid those ridiculous prices.

Human Resources is barely existent. There were multiple times where people should have been terminated, but all that was done is a 2 hour webinar lecture on company policies. I even had one superior threaten to with hold my pay, micromanage every move I made and when I reported to HR acted physically aggressive . I have also heard stories of racist slurs and sexist behavior tolerated to technicians in various properties with no disciplinary action. These might be one of the reasons why PSAV is losing its younger sales and technician staff members.

The title of "Manager" is redundant for a Sales Person. The technicians end up resenting us when we inform them that a set needs to be changed. Half the time a superior told them to set it up a different way. You have no power in this role to make any change on your show unless you cause a scene. By that time, the client has seen the setup and is furious that it does not resemble what was previously negotiated for months of planning. I was always told "Sales are the face of the show" which basically meant it is always our fault no matter if the crew does not want to follow directions.

On the note of Operations, DETs will gladly take advantage of your time and efforts for their own gain. I have had two different call ins on the weekend because they didn't plan accordingly and were short on labor. I would charge way over what was needed for labor and get the contract signed months ahead of time. One of the shows that I was requested to come work was not even sold by me. I was given a lecture on "teamwork" when I complained that this was not in my contract. "Lets see what we can get away with" seems to be the protocol across the board with this company.

I could never really get over how the technicians were treated. I would buy coffee , donuts and lunch when I could swing it for the bigger shows. The techs are overworked and underpaid. Directors will milk the part time hour maximum while promising the techs that they would eventually move up. Often times it is an outside hire for the Directors roles and it really seems to ruin any sense of team morale. The individuals that do move up are the ones who can stick it out and have no current alternatives.

My biggest complaint by far is the hotel and PSAV's relationship. The majority of the hotels that I have been to embrace fear over any real alliance. They treat staff as if we are an annoyance that they have to put up with. At the end of the day, the hotel staff knows that you are temporary and the company will move you within a few years. It is a chess board and you are another pawn.

Advice to Management

PSAV needs to do some actual field research on what goes on inside of the hotels and how their staff members are being treated. The big ups in the company only really care about their next acquisition and are out of date with new upcoming scenic/technology trends. I would like to say that everything went down hill when we got involved with a big bank, but I think the real problem is not developing any younger than mid 40s leaders. I have met brilliant people who have left the company because of the outdated micromanagement tactics and poor leadership. PSAV needs to spend more time developing the relationship with the hotel and newly acquired companies instead of just buying every company they can.

"Quit and wont turn back!"

Former Employee - Sales Manager in Grapevine, TX
    Former Employee - Sales Manager in Grapevine, TX

I worked at PSAV full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I don't know if this is still true anymore because I am under the impression they aren't growing as fast anymore because customers have gotten wise and stopped using them for their AV needs. However, they used to be great to get your foot in the door of the corporate world. You can go from making $14/hr to a salary of $40,000 a year with commission in less then a year.

Some of the people you work with will be really awesome, some not so much. But for the most part the awesome people make your job bearable.

They have decent health insurance, give you $300 a year for career wear, and pay $60 a month toward your cell phone bill (if you are full time and salaried).

They have properties everywhere so if you are willing to move around you can move up in your career even faster.

Cons

Honestly, if I wrote them out I would be here all day. If you are looking to get a job with PSAV make sure you know who your Director of Operations, Director of Sales and Director of Event Technology are. And make sure you like them. Every property is different and who your Manager is makes a huge difference. This can be an extremely stressful job and most of the time it's up to you to figure it out. Most Managers have never had management experience before so don't expect constructive feedback from most. If you start to fail they most likely will just try and transfer you and tell you it's a promotion.

Not everywhere at PSAV is bad. But corporate is very far removed from the daily dealings of each hotel and tends to make rules and goals that go against each other. Example: Operations and Sales will be given goals that directly contradict each other and neither is aware of what the other departments goals are. There is a lot of interdepartmental fighting.

If you are voting for Donald Trump, have thick skin, can handle a lot of stress, don't care about working late and on the weekends, and don't need any guidance to learn a new job, then you might fit in well.

Advice to Management

Please read the book 7 Habits of Highly Effective People. Have people you promote into management positions read that book. Train people you promote into management positions. Just because someone was a good technician or a good sales manager does not mean they will be a good leader or director. Stop setting up your employees to fail.

Listen to your employees and make changes to improve turnover. CARE ABOUT YOUR EMPLOYEES. CARE about their quality of life and their ability to feed themselves and their children. Trust your employees to do what is right and don't micromanage everything they do.

After I quit, an employee in a Director position said "I guess we are just a place that college graduates just stay at for a year or two and then leave." No one did an exit interview. No one asked me why I quit or tried to understand. 3 months after I quit 4 more employees in Sales Manager and Project Manager positions quit in my region. None got exit interviews. How can you improve if you don't know what you are doing wrong? You are spending a ton of money on hiring and training and right as people get good at their jobs they quit. Don't you want to know why and how you can improve retention?

HR is a joke. Please improve HR. Going to HR means you are going to get called into the person who is threatening you or harassing yous office and asked why you complained.

9. "PSAV Bastop"

Current Employee - AV Technician in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - AV Technician in Austin, TX

I have been working at PSAV full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Good on the job training.

Cons

Work in full black uniform in the Texas heat. Just got informed that my pay dropped from $18 an hour for a senior tech to $16 an hour for more work.

Advice to Management

Hire more people to help the crews.
    Get a golf cart to take equipment on and off the course and by the pool verses the small push carts.

"Event technology specialist III"

Former Employee - Event Technology Specialist III in New Orleans, LA
    Former Employee - Event Technology Specialist III in New Orleans, LA

I worked at PSAV (More than 5 years)

Pros

Usually lunch is free and ft workers usually get the added perks that hotel employees get; parking, discounted suites, etc. a good starting point as a technical specialist.

Cons

Managers usually penny pinch because half of the revenue goes to the hotel. That leads to lower wages, poor performance from employees and less happy workers. And even with that being said, ft employees typically make less than some pt employees because as a full timer, your overtime is being watched heavily and you have no time to do things besides work at one hotel. Management always make silly mistakes that cost way more in the long run but there never seems to be a solution. Last thing: way too much unnecessary drama as a full time employee. Be advised: stay as a pt employee if you don't want to go to high school again. Most management is very untrustworthy.

Advice to Management

Do better. Treat your employees with respect and be honest. There's a heavy lack of respect for others in the work place. don't be so spiteful. You come to work to work together. It's usually the other way around. Communicate, communicate, communicate - another huge problem that never seems to be resolved nor does any effort go towards resolving communication errors.