PSAV Reviews | Glassdoor

Rating Trends Rating Trends
PSAV CEO Mike McIlwain
Mike McIlwain

Pros
Cons
  • compensation negotiation, bonus payout schedule, work life balance (in 38 reviews)

• Long hours, but that just comes with the territory of the job (in 48 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"ASDP/Hotel Sales Manager"

Current Employee - PSAV Sales Manager - Hotel Divisions in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - PSAV Sales Manager - Hotel Divisions in Dallas, TX

I have been working at PSAV full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Went into the accelerated sales development program (ASDP) right out of college which is a 8 week fast track to the sales manager role. I had quite a lot of sales internships and experience prior to applying, so make sure you have a decent resume if you apply to the program. The 8 week training program was an invaluable experience that I recommend to anyone wanting to get into sales and the Event Technology industry. The skills and knowledge I have acquired from the program will help me in any career path I end up in. Everyone I work with is extremely helpful, kind, and enjoys their job with PSAV. I know it varies by location, but for myself and most of the people in my ASDP group that has been the general experience. Very generous base pay and commission plan for college graduates, just need to be willing to put in the work and hours! Many career advancement opportunities and an awesome company culture. It is the AV industry which is entertainment, so most of the time the people you work with are more chill and relaxed, but like to get business done and appreciate hard work when it is needed.

Cons

-Slow seasons in the hotel sales services can be long and boring days... but hey you are still getting paid!
    -Will work over the 40 hours a week they say you do, but sometimes less.
    -HR and the hotel locations could be in better touch with each other.

Advice to Management

Keep doing your thing!

"Good Job"

Current Employee - Director of Event Technology in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Director of Event Technology in Houston, TX

Pros

Good Work environment. Work inside and not in the the heat. Work alot of hours most of the time long weekends.

Cons

Work by yourself, usually alone. Hard to find help and labor. Long days and nights with lots of mental thinking.

Advice to Management

More communication. Better planning. Need to ask the field Directors before pushing out new equipment that doesn't make sense.
    Why did we lose Shure again?

3. "Not just a job, but a career amplified!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Tampa, FL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Tampa, FL

Pros

It is getting paid to work in an electronic toy box all day! Best in the industry! Great people to work with and the culture is infectious. Compensation is better than most audio visuals companies, great benefits and plenty of room for growth. They tend to promote from within so there is always a new opportunity around the corner. If I was to ever leave Swank Audio Visuals it would be to change industries because I can not see myself working in the audio visual industry for anyone else.

Cons

You will get consumed by the culture and work long hours by choice. Could be pro or con depending on view. There is a small window of time that you can take your vacation and a lot of people try to take theirs at the same time so scheduling time off is somewhat difficult. Stress can get the best of you if you let it because of tight deadlines and demanding customers.

Advice to Management

The management could consider looking at a new, updated, more intuitive procurement system for re-rents and purchases as the current system is very frustrating and "clunky" when it comes to searching for the term you need to fulfill a certain criteria. Currently you need to know the exact term you need for the search to work properly. With today's technology the process could be made much more simple and lessen the time spent in rewriting orders to get them right.

5. "It's like coming into something that you know is good for you, like a family relationship."

Current Employee - Audio Visaul Technician in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Audio Visaul Technician in Washington, DC

Pros

Pleasent work atmosphere, great service, knowledgeable staff, professionals at work.

Cons

Only thing is we are paid twice amonth.

Advice to Management

Leadership properlly selected to run sucessful operations.

6. "Swank is a great company run by genuinely good people with good business sense and heart."

Current Employee - Director of Audio/Visual Services in Tucson, AZ
    Current Employee - Director of Audio/Visual Services in Tucson, AZ

Pros

Training and advancement opportunities are prevalent and managers assist in placing you in a job that fits your skill set while stretching you and making you ready for advancement. The job is rewarding and challenging.

Cons

A 50 hour work week is standard. This is a 24/7/7 career and weekends and holiday are generally required work days.

Advice to Management

Thank you for your support and teamwork. Keep empower us to manage our business and we won't let you down.

"Great company that treats you right, if you treat it right."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

Pros

I have worked for Swank Audio Visuals for many years, and have been dedicated to the company. As a result, the company has been dedicated to me. It is disheartening to hear people come in and expect to get raises and promotions without earning them. Swank can be a great place to have a career as long as there is a mutual respect between the employer and employee.

Their training program is an industry leader. They invest quite a bit into bringing knowledge to the field.

The management is human. Of course they are running a business, and want to be profitable, but many of them are home grown and understand what is like to be out on the floor. They listen to what I have to say, and something actually comes out of it.

Swank generally has good equipment. They equip the offices with good, most times new, equipment.

They pay better than most companies in this industry.

Cons

I wish there was more advancement opportunities. When we are in a growth period there are promotions abound, but when we are not growing into new hotels, the promotion can be harder to get.

It is tough to maintain a good life/work balance, but I think it is standard for the industry. When you are busy, it could be up to seven days a week. However, when the slow season hits they turn a blind eye to taking shorter days and are pretty flexible with scheduling when they can be.

Sometimes the guests really don't appreciate what you do. We bust our buts to make them happy, and they still complain.

The industry isn't glamourous. We are highly educated, hard-working indivduals, who have a professional career, but are often seen as just an "AV Guy."

Advice to Management

Understand that we want to have a life outside of work. Please do what you can in order for us to have a good work / life balance.

Please talk to me a little more before deciding to transfer me to a new hotel.

8. "positve"

Former Employee - Branch Director in Winter Garden, FL
    Former Employee - Branch Director in Winter Garden, FL

Pros

Great support team and fun , professional environment

Cons

For a large company,. purchasing sometimes has too much red tape.

Advice to Management

Give your leaders corporate credit cards so they can get things done more efficiently.

9. "Good"

Current Employee - Event Technology Specialist in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Event Technology Specialist in Washington, DC

Pros

You run your own business without someone always looking over your shoulder. Freedom to make your own choices that you think is best.

Cons

There will be times when you work long hours. A lot of politics to consider as you have three groups of people you need to make happy. The hotel, the hotels end users, and your boss.

Advice to Management

PSAV has great employees, however some senior managers try to take away what the company put in-place for us to have and use.

10. "Lots of opportunity to gain experience and knowledge."

Current Employee - Senior Sales Manager in Lake Buena Vista, FL
    Current Employee - Senior Sales Manager in Lake Buena Vista, FL

I have been working at PSAV full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Largest hotel AV provider in the world. Lots of locations to choose from. Great talent pool to work with.

Cons

Sometimes the "big company" makes decisions that don't make sense or decisions are made without talking to the employees who would be affected, and asking the employees for ideas to solving issues.

Advice to Management

See Cons above.

"Working at psav has been a great learning experience and a great way to start a career"

Current Employee - Senior Even Technology Specialist in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Senior Even Technology Specialist in Dallas, TX

I have been working at PSAV full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

There is always room to move up in the company and to due so relatively quick. PSAV is probably the best and most laid back work enviornment i have ever worked in.

Cons

gear is in rough shape a lot of times