PSAV Reviews | Glassdoor

PSAV Reviews

Updated March 21, 2017

Full-time Part-time

Pros
Cons
  • compensation negotiation, bonus payout schedule, work life balance (in 38 reviews)

• Long hours, but that just comes with the territory of the job (in 48 reviews)

1. "Know what you're getting into."

I have been working at PSAV (More than 3 years)

Pros

Varied pace throughout the day will keep you on your toes. The work itself is a great learning experience for anyone new to the industry. This is a good option to get your foot in the door. If you have advanced AV skills, go for full time! You will be utilized even more and get opportunities for travel and benefits.

Cons

They don't always provide stable hours, but that depends on your region. Corporate cares about the bottom line (That's no so much a Con, but an HR issue). Spending freezes keep us from repairing our broken inventory. Oh yeah, and PART TIMERS DON'T GET RAISES. Benefits will be coming in 2017, but no raises.

Advice to Management

Promote and train your part timers. They're worth investing in too.

"Sales Manager (Houston/New Orleans)"

Former Employee - Sales Manager in New Orleans, LA
    Former Employee - Sales Manager in New Orleans, LA

I worked at PSAV full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Decent Pay with commission bonus.

Free food at some properties. This helps you save money on tight months..

Felt respect by RVP and Area Manager. I felt that I could communicate with them about issues that I had.

Cons

Where do I start...

Pricing is ludicrous and so inconsistent with the rest of the industry. Directors, Technicians or Sales Managers who come from other companies are sure to remind you of that whenever they can. Your managers will have a "it is what it is" mindset about the pricing until the hotel drops the hammer . Most successful production companys got their foot in the door with PSAV and know that if they get their client to complain loud enough you will have to drop pricing. Superiors will push you to charge those high prices to increase overall growth; even if there is history that they have never paid those ridiculous prices.

Human Resources is barely existent. There were multiple times where people should have been terminated, but all that was done is a 2 hour webinar lecture on company policies. I even had one superior threaten to with hold my pay, micromanage every move I made and when I reported to HR acted physically aggressive . I have also heard stories of racist slurs and sexist behavior tolerated to technicians in various properties with no disciplinary action. These might be one of the reasons why PSAV is losing its younger sales and technician staff members.

The title of "Manager" is redundant for a Sales Person. The technicians end up resenting us when we inform them that a set needs to be changed. Half the time a superior told them to set it up a different way. You have no power in this role to make any change on your show unless you cause a scene. By that time, the client has seen the setup and is furious that it does not resemble what was previously negotiated for months of planning. I was always told "Sales are the face of the show" which basically meant it is always our fault no matter if the crew does not want to follow directions.

On the note of Operations, DETs will gladly take advantage of your time and efforts for their own gain. I have had two different call ins on the weekend because they didn't plan accordingly and were short on labor. I would charge way over what was needed for labor and get the contract signed months ahead of time. One of the shows that I was requested to come work was not even sold by me. I was given a lecture on "teamwork" when I complained that this was not in my contract. "Lets see what we can get away with" seems to be the protocol across the board with this company.

I could never really get over how the technicians were treated. I would buy coffee , donuts and lunch when I could swing it for the bigger shows. The techs are overworked and underpaid. Directors will milk the part time hour maximum while promising the techs that they would eventually move up. Often times it is an outside hire for the Directors roles and it really seems to ruin any sense of team morale. The individuals that do move up are the ones who can stick it out and have no current alternatives.

My biggest complaint by far is the hotel and PSAV's relationship. The majority of the hotels that I have been to embrace fear over any real alliance. They treat staff as if we are an annoyance that they have to put up with. At the end of the day, the hotel staff knows that you are temporary and the company will move you within a few years. It is a chess board and you are another pawn.

Advice to Management

PSAV needs to do some actual field research on what goes on inside of the hotels and how their staff members are being treated. The big ups in the company only really care about their next acquisition and are out of date with new upcoming scenic/technology trends. I would like to say that everything went down hill when we got involved with a big bank, but I think the real problem is not developing any younger than mid 40s leaders. I have met brilliant people who have left the company because of the outdated micromanagement tactics and poor leadership. PSAV needs to spend more time developing the relationship with the hotel and newly acquired companies instead of just buying every company they can.

3. "Good Company"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

Pros

Good Company to work for

Cons

Corporate Politics and favortism not good

Advice to Management

HR Department

5. "Busy season=slave labor"

I worked at PSAV full-time

Pros

Benefits, semi-steady work in a non-steady business, cool people.

Cons

Not given out times on the schedule, mandatory 12+ days with no warning. Company culture of "you can't complain about no lunch break when I've been working 10 hours without one either".

Advice to Management

Listen to the concerns of your workers and actually change policy instead of nodding and then ignoring.

6. "Unrealistic expectations"

I worked at PSAV full-time

Pros

Interesting industry; AV candidates were great to speak with (creative, non-corporate types)

Cons

Difficult to "sell" the company as a Recruiter as very poor pay, work hours are not set and techs need to be available at all hours. Leadership cares too much about the bottom line and not those who are on the floor each day/night.

7. "Great Place to Start a Career"

I worked at PSAV full-time

Pros

Flexible Hours, Holiday Pay, Great environment

Cons

Demanding on time and energy.

Advice to Management

Keep it up and raise the salries!

8. "Excellent place to work."

Current Employee - PSAV Sales Manager - Hotel Divisions in San Juan, PR
    Current Employee - PSAV Sales Manager - Hotel Divisions in San Juan, PR

I have been working at PSAV full-time

Pros

Good opportunities to grow. FOR techs slow season is hard. But easy job over all.

Cons

Salary wise can be better.

9. "So far so good"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

I have been working at PSAV full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

There are lots of people willing to help and great team. Lots of learning and career opportunities.

Cons

work life balance is difficult during busy season.

10. "Decent"

Current Employee - Sales Coordinator in Frostburg, MD
    Current Employee - Sales Coordinator in Frostburg, MD

I have been working at PSAV (Less than a year)

Pros

Relaxed Work atmosphere
    Good Team oriented culture
    Good Work/Life balance

Cons

Low Salaries and Low Earning Potential
    Slightly Unorganized

"NO Work-Family balance"

Former Employee - Event Technology Specialist in Indianapolis, IN
    Former Employee - Event Technology Specialist in Indianapolis, IN

I worked at PSAV (More than 3 years)

Pros

Generally good people to work with. If you work a hotel property, you get free food.

Cons

IMPOSSIBLE to balance work and life, or plan anything with family, as hours fluctuate wildly, from 70 hours+ a week, to 5 hours a week. And you rarely get off when scheduled - often having to work 4 or 5 hours past your scheduled end time. There are often hours of down time waiting for events to end and rooms to clear. There will be two or three month periods where you will only work 5-10 hours each week. At many locations, you will be expected to do all of the lifting, climbing, and crawling while wearing a suit. Managers will sell an event and not provide the techs with the equipment needed to do the show, leaving the techs to face the wrath of the client.

Advice to Management

Try to schedule more realistically, and schedule full-time employees at least 30 hours every week.