PSC Group Reviews | Glassdoor

1. "Fantastic Employer"

Former Employee - Senior Network Engineer in Kansas City, MO
    Former Employee - Senior Network Engineer in Kansas City, MO

I worked at PSC Group full-time (More than a year)

Pros

This was my favorite employer since they were always focused on the well-being of the employee and attentive to the needs of the client.

Cons

I have only positive comments.

"Solid Company with a long track record of success"

I have been working at PSC Group full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

PSC is a company that delivers for our clients. That is because they hire truly wonderful people and then encourages and empowers us to take care of the clients.

PSC is also a compassionate employer. Speaking from both personal experiences and hearing and knowing about other situations - I am aware of no situations where an employee was not only allowed, but encouraged to put family first.

The work is challenging more often than not, some clients are easier to deal with than others - but at the end of the day, I like knowing that I work for a company that cares about me as a person.

Cons

Depending on client assignments - the commutes can be tough - but by the same token - all of the work is in the area and I am not forced to travel.

Advice to Management

Keep showing that you care about the employees and we will keep caring about you and our clients.

"Ignore the BS"

Current Employee - Senior Consultant in Schaumburg, IL
    Current Employee - Senior Consultant in Schaumburg, IL

I have been working at PSC Group (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great company to work for. They are innovative and take care of there employees. I don't understand the bashing of this company. I have been here for years, and have been approached by competitors, but will not leave them. Management is far from clueless...the fact that a few people who my guess are non-performers are bashing is both childish and ridiculous.

Cons

Some of the projects are less challenging and cutting edge...my thought is that you need to take the good with the bad. Not all projects are awesome...yes some of them are not so fun...welcome to consulting. Find me a consulting company where every project is great and cutting edge...they don't exist.

Advice to Management

Keep on track, ignore the BS of the few unhappy...my guess is they are ex-employees looking to poison the well. I think the new realignment will give us better opportunities to grow both individually and the company.

"PSC is a great place to work, ignore the trolls......"

Former Employee - Senior Solution Architect in Schaumburg, IL
    Former Employee - Senior Solution Architect in Schaumburg, IL

I worked at PSC Group full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Much better then most consulting companies, they actually make a valiant effort to make employees feel worthwhile, important, and engaged. I was never forced to "stretch" a job or "run the meter" with a client. Management does seem to care and pay attention. TONS of opportunity for personal growth if you choose to take advantage of it.

Cons

If you are someone that constantly needs reassurance and "pats on the back", you might not be very happy. While there is lots of positive feedback, people don't "gush" all over you - if you are that needy, you will feel unappreciated... if you are normal, and have a decent self esteem, you will be fine.

Advice to Management

Keep remembering that your employees ARE your assets, and most valuable resource.

"It's Amazing How Pathetic Things Are"

Former Employee - Consultant in Schaumburg, IL
    Former Employee - Consultant in Schaumburg, IL

I worked at PSC Group full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

I used to work for PSC Group and bought into their vision. I think they call it Clear Vision 2.0 and Five Points of Excellence. You will find that if you play along that you will have a decent job. I quickly grew through the ranks and had opportunities to see what happens behind the scenes. It does look like some of the reviews are posted by people that don’t like the company. It also looks like some of the reviews are posted by partners or management. It will have to be up to the readers to decide for themselves what information is important to them when reviewing the company. Personally, I think, you have to keep in mind that these situations didn’t immediately crop up. Was it a botched hire? Was it the fact that the company hired someone for a contract to make some money? Was it PSC’s inability to grow an individual?

When I worked at the company there were definitely personality conflicts between clients and employees. Even the A players and high performers had issues and were asked to leave assignments. One of the measuring sticks used by my boss was, “are we getting value out of an employee?” Undoubtedly, the companies goals are to make money but the A player list tended to be do-gooders, that had a high profit margin, a.k.a. were not paid as much as others. Typically, I would be asked if I would be happier to “flip the list” referring to a list of employees ordered by salary. Such statements quickly demonstrate to everyone that hears them that “money” is the driving factor. I challenge all that aren’t in management to consider these statements and think about times were they themselves had heard them.

Cons

This is somewhat the nature of PSC: As your career grows in the professional services space you will find that staffing is an important part of the job. Unlike other organizations there is a high-level of responsibility given to the individual consultant to remain billable the 40 hours. If you are in one of the practices that has significant overtime you can pretty much do what you want. If you are not, you will be watched. Not all evaluations will be equal. You will see partners and management come and go as they please but be asked to stay to 5pm every day—even when the office is empty. You will have senior leaders not show up for meetings and not do what they say they will do. In fact, senior leaders couldn’t even remember what they said from meeting to meeting. They often didn’t demonstrate an understanding of most topics and definitely didn’t have mastery over much. My boss in particular said, “I hate this job, I am not very good at it, and I would prefer to be doing something else.” If this is your attitude it is reflected in your work and in your team.

I did have an opportunity to speak to several of the rising stars at PSC. I wanted to see what their thoughts were on a number of subjects. As it turns out, PSC is not acquiring talent to fill needed positions they are growing from within. This is a good opportunity for those up to the challenge but places a wager on the success of these individuals. Most have expressed doubt as to whether they can be successful. Several have said that they learned long ago not to be loyal. They will do what they can before they move on. This doesn’t provide a good culture for anyone that might want to stick around for some time.

I have also heard quite a bit of talk about the values of PSC, I have been in meetings were employees have been disparaged in front of piers. At first I thought that it was an isolated incident but as my concerns grew and I started to investigate the truth behind the matters I found that it was more of a pattern then anyone should be comfortable with. Several x-employees spoke openly of what they called the “CEO Crazy Years” in which one of the now owners would belittle and touch past employees. The stories included lawsuits and other settlements but I have not been able to verify that.

Advice to Management

The revolving door of PSC is fairly active. There are many websites and blog posts about the company that exist outside Glass Door. All employees, job seekers, and clients should make sure they do their homework before engaging.

It should be noted, there are a few people that are happy working PSC. The typical response for staying at PSC is that “it’s not bad and there are worse [out there].” Most should note, that the knowledge gap continues to grow PSC will be significantly challenged to acquire new talent. Whatever their reason for staying it does not disqualify the fact that better, more prosperous, better managed companies exist within the Chicago land area.

"Business Analyst"

Former Employee - Business Analyst in Overland Park, KS
    Former Employee - Business Analyst in Overland Park, KS

I worked at PSC Group full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great company. Great people to work with and to work for. Nothing but kind words.

Cons

Lack of general guidance to set up expectations.

Advice to Management

Keep it up.

"An Awesome Consulting Company that does "Listen" :-)"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Schaumburg, IL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Schaumburg, IL

I have been working at PSC Group full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

1) Incredible team of co-workers - from top to bottom, there are no weak links
    2) Management really listens to our issues and works to correct anything they can
    3) No Extended Travel - Only time I have been out of town was for a short trip. Less than a week.
    4) Provides technical and professional training opportunities - We have some programs I have never seen in an organization this size

Cons

1) It's still consulting - There are always going to be difficult situations with projects or clients
    2) Local commutes can be long at times - but the project will end and the next one is usually not as far

Advice to Management

Keep finding the great people we work with and the challenging projects. I would like to make it to 20 years like Jeff!

"Smoke and Mirrors"

Current Employee - Consultant in Schaumburg, IL
    Current Employee - Consultant in Schaumburg, IL

I have been working at PSC Group full-time

Pros

It is clear based on some of the reviews below that management is aware that employees are turning to social media. They also use a tool called Tiny Pulse to gather feedback from their employees.

Cons

If PSC is aware of the issues they should change them instead of trying to hide behind them.

Company is going through a restructuring after so many people have left. Sales has acted like a revolving door accept for those incumbent high rollers. CEO publically walked around a conference saying that he and his wife were not sure, "What he does". After a Practice Leader left CEO continues to say that he is not really a Practice Leader after assuming responsibility for the vacancy.

You can ask any number of employees that work for PSC what they do verse what they used to do. You have resources hired as developers that haven’t written code in years because it is more profitable to keep them on as Staff Aug. You have Lotus Notes team that is acting as BA and PM’s because it is more difficult day after day to find Lotus Notes work. You have an advisor services practice that no one is really sure what they do.

It is amazing why PSC is so focused on career development. They believe that it will keep employees around longer for them to make money off of you. Employees are given false hope of management and responsibility to keep them happy. Management offers periodic gifts in compensation to keep people from quitting and holding on to hope. There are actually employees that are billed at an hourly rate less than it costs to keep them.

The number of employees that have talked about looking for new work in the last 9 months is almost 75%. Don’t be one of them.

Advice to Management

As a CEO and an Owner you have to be everything the company needs.

"Senior Consultant"

Pros

It's a job and a stop over when looking for a better job.

Cons

Upper management is clueless and will lie to avoid conflict. Office is filled with bugs, elevators don't work, Chicago office was a failed experiment, high turnover, client projects have problems, ceo makes fun of employees, pay is low, they are not compliant with software licensing because it's to expensive. Management calls it speeding. The list goes on.

Advice to Management

Your pulling to much money out and are upsetting to many people in industry. Word is out and that is why you have problems hiring people

"Run and don't stop"

I have been working at PSC Group full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

It's a job. If you buy into the marketing material you will love the place.

Cons

The partners decided that they were going to purchase the company from the original founders. They each draw a salary of $350,000 and are focused on paying down their back note. Granted the entire focus of a company is to make money it should not be prioritized to the point it is. While in quarterly meetings you will be presented with talk that includes challenging projects with talented people. The people are talented, the projects will be staff aug, and you should prepare yourself for that. There is a large number of folks working in roles that they were not hired for. Think .NET or Lotus Notes developers that haven’t developed in years. Profitability has suffered because of the lack of sales, turnaround is high because of the lack of interesting projects.
    The company pays below industry and is flat out confused. In some cases has conducted itself illegally. Try your luck elsewhere.

CEO is aggressive, speaks well, but has issue when dealing with staff.

Advice to Management

Resign