PSEG Reviews | Glassdoor

3.4
Ralph Izzo

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • Work life balance is not the best especially if you are in a finance field (in 11 reviews)

• Not family friendly: company doesn't have any work from home policy (in 7 reviews)

"Not worth the experience"

Former Employee - Senior Operations Supervisor in Jersey City, NJ
    Former Employee - Senior Operations Supervisor in Jersey City, NJ

I worked at PSEG full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Decent pay - but not good pay
    Close to NYC

Cons

Working with bad people
    No difference between high performers and low
    Management won't have your back
    You will have to deal with Unions all the time

Advice to Management

Protect your people from Union attacks. A little bit of protection would go a long way.
    Compensate people off their abilities
    Train your people to deal with Union better

"No respect and low morale for a company that used to be great to work for"

Former Employee - Fossil Manager in South Plainfield, NJ
    Former Employee - Fossil Manager in South Plainfield, NJ

I worked at PSEG full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good salaries, good people working there.

Cons

The executive staff has ruined a good company with excessive browbeating, lack of respect and over all arrogance. They have destroyed a positive culture for the sake of punishment, impossible goals to meet and their personal agendas.They damaged the entire fossil division. When Rizzo and his Excelon cronies leave for better pastures, PSEG will grow in a positive direction. I am glad I left when I did.

Advice to Management

Leave PSEG. You obviously do not have leadership skills to foster trust, more accurately you don't care.

"hard lesson"

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Cranford, NJ
    Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Cranford, NJ

I have been working at PSEG full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

great overtime, great people, money is great, benefits excellent

Cons

management sucks, they treat you like a seat number and not a person, alot of nepotism. its who you know that can advance you to the next position

Advice to Management

get a clue

"No advancement, no recognition, disengaged management"

Former Employee - Engineer in Hancocks Bridge, NJ
    Former Employee - Engineer in Hancocks Bridge, NJ

I worked at PSEG full-time

Pros

Decent starting compensation and benefits

Cons

No room to advance a career
    Very depressing work environment
    Very low morale
    10+ years to make a career move
    Pay levels off quickly
    Horrible location
    Management has no knowledge about what they are supervising
    Management is too hard headed and won't listen to engineers
    Unethical decision making by management
    Impossible to work in a team
    Other departments won't answer emails or phone calls. You often find yourself battling other departments/
    "It's not my job" or "I don't have time to help you" are commonly said/
    Performance reviews are a joke. No progress reports or feedback are ever received.

Advice to Management

Look at high employee turnover in nuclear. People work for two years take their money and run.
    People have tried to speak to management and they won't listen, they won't change and they don't care.

"Abusive Work Practices, Strong Sense of Entitlement, and Hateful Managers"

Current Employee - Control Room Supervisor in Hancocks Bridge, NJ
    Current Employee - Control Room Supervisor in Hancocks Bridge, NJ

I have been working at PSEG full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Benefits are good. Compensation is good for union workers, but if you're in management they'll cheap out until you stand up for yourself (and then make false promises). Lots of opportunities. Many good people working at various levels of the company (but they get pushed around - see Cons).

Cons

No respect for employees on any level. Management often creates a hostile work environment even when there is no reason for one. Senior management comes up with new policies, often contradicting the union contract, and forces first-line supervision to implement. This puts the supervisors in a position of having to implement policies they don't understand and don't agree with or ignore them and risk getting fired. The company lost a lot of good supervisors and managers over the years who got tired of these antics. And if you're not in the union, they'll stick it to you for as long as they can on salary. When you find out your being grossly underpaid, they'll make promises to align your salary with your peers, but then when the raises come out they'll hem and haw about budget constraints. All the while they'll work you ridiculously hard and you'll find that your actual hourly rate is less than that of the guys working for you, but the company will tell you it's a good deal because you're in management.

Advice to Management

Quit stabbing employees in the back at every opportunity. Quit encouraging employees to stab each other in the back. Quit paying ridiculous salaries and bonuses for executives and then telling first-line supervisors that the 2% raise is a favor and that they're luck to be getting a raise at all. Quit trying to control every aspect of the union-management relationship just to show the union who's boss; it's not helping and in the end, it always costs more money.

"Bad Work Environment, Bad Management"

Current Employee - Cost Analyst in South Plainfield, NJ
    Current Employee - Cost Analyst in South Plainfield, NJ

I have been working at PSEG full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The benefit are ok, but comparable to other companies, so nothing special.

Cons

First off, some people are allowed flexible schedules and ability to work from home while others are not. Some are allowed summer hours, while others are not. A few of the directors are good honest people, but the rest are not. Management seems to be driving people out the door, by allowing gossip, bullying, rudeness, and general micro managing. They tout diversity, speaking up, and integrity, but do not practice what they preach. People who speak up or voice unfairness are often targeted and end up either being terminated or have their lives made so unbearable they voluntarily leave. The people who only seem to advance and get fair and decent treatment or those either friends with or related to the directors/management. I used to think the CEO was an honorable man, but cannot continue to, since he allows these types of people to stay in management.

Advice to Management

Learn how to be leaders, and fair to everyone underneath you, not just your friends or relatives. Promote from within the company rather than filling positions with family members/friends. Live by the standards you voice. Take a look at the constant overturn in employees and realize that perhaps management is the problems, not the employees. Stop transferring managers who are incompetent to other areas, the problems only follow them.

"Can't keep employees, people are literally running out the door to another company."

Former Employee - Senior Engineer in South Plainfield, NJ
    Former Employee - Senior Engineer in South Plainfield, NJ

I worked at PSEG full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I liked my co workers and some of the staff, the pay was decent, and benefit were ok. I enjoyed playing sports with some of my co workers.

Cons

About 80% of the people who were there when I started have left. People would come in and quit within 6 months. Management is extremely poor, especially within the directors. They hold meetings upon meetings about Diversity, Speaking Up, Ethics, but do not live those cultures. They are extremely nepotistic, and if they don't like you (even if you are a top performer), you might as well find another job, because they will find a way to push you out the door. It isn't about the work you do there, it is about who you kiss up to, and if you like to be their little spy. Most of the employees who have been there along time spend all their time watching and inaccurately reporting what everyone else it doing, and not doing any work. Management seems to like this. A lot of pointing fingers, gossiping, and overall unprofessional behavior. They are always going on about "Speaking Up" But the few people I know who did were pretty much fired for some ridiculous reason. The only way to get ahead and have security here is to keep your mouth shut, unless it is to gossip about or tattle on another employee. They are hiring like crazy because they can't keep professional people in positions. Forget about any kind of flexibility, there is none. If there is 2 feet of snow on the ground, most employees are forced to drive in and risk their safety, or use a vacation day (and these aren't even electricians, we are talking about accountants, etc.). Some are allowed to work from home, but that is based upon who you know, not how well you do your job.
    Almost no room for advancement, unless of course, you are one of the directors pets. They will deny you a position, but then turn around and ask you do the work for that position until it is filled. Employees, especially contractors, are treated very poorly and with disrespect.
    I am so happy the economy improved and companies started hiring, because I could not get out of there fast enough. Good luck to future employees, especially in DP & C, you will need it!

Advice to Management

Learn to treat your employees fairly and with respect. Stop favoring people, and act like professionals. You are not running a school, it is a business.

"Pay and benefits are good, but upward mobility is severely limited for those without a degree."

Current Employee - Technical Operator in Trenton, NJ
    Current Employee - Technical Operator in Trenton, NJ

I have been working at PSEG full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Good place to develop skilled trade experience or managerial experience and then more on. Still well regarded by future employers.

Cons

Provides some tuition aid, but doesn't schedule work or overtime to accommidate anyone wishing to go to school part time. Management tends to micromanage and not empower employees. Hires managers from outside, rather than developing from within. New policies rarely filter down through the many levels of management and are rarely put into practice. Company promotes standards of integrity, but most managers and supervisors act unethically, and you can't believe what they tell you. I couldn't recommend this company to a friend or relative.

Advice to Management

Treat your greatest asset, your employees, how you would like to be treated.

"Sadly, this company does not treat its employees very well"

Former Employee - Scheduler in South Plainfield, NJ
    Former Employee - Scheduler in South Plainfield, NJ

I worked at PSEG full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The office was clean, loved some of my coworkers, but unfortunately they left. Pay was good, benefits were good.

Cons

When I accepted my position with PSEG I was very excited to be working for such a large, well known company. However, within days of starting, I already started regretting my decision to work there. First and foremost, I was given no kind of training or introduction to the Power/Utility industry. Nor was I given any type of training or instruction on work processes. The only reason I was able to learn some things was a coworker being kind enough to have me work with them to familiarize myself with the work. Then within a few weeks they my own projects at me. When my coworker tried to help me, they told her to back off and I had to "sink or swim". The project manager I worked with had no qualms about belittling me, cursing at me, calling me names, etc. When I brought this up to my manager, nothing was done. I was told to toughen up. People seem to spend most of their time in the office prying into what everyone else is doing, passing blame, and pointing fingers. "It is not my job" seems to be the mentality there. There is absolutely no communication whatsoever between departments, and it is impossible to have accurate work when no one responds to your questions. There are serious cliques in the office, and if you are not one of them, they treat you horribly. People are in management positions who really have no knowledge or right to be in one. They treat others with disrespect and unprofessionalism. I just recently left, and am so glad I did, because I would actually feel sick driving into work, knowing I had to spend a day dealing with those people.

Advice to Management

I don't think they care, because they must know what goes on in that office, but do nothing to change it. They will keep losing good employees, and will most likely change things when it is already too late. I am just glad I am not a PSEG customer.

"Very upsetting and hostile place to work"

I have been working at PSEG full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Free coffee, decent toilet paper in the bathrooms, nightly cleaning crew

Cons

PSEG is not a nice place to work. Their number one priority is to PREACH about their values (they do not follow them or represent them, just preach them) For example, they will go on and on about how safety is #1, yet demand office people drive in during a horrible snow storm or else use their vacation. How is this caring about the safety of your employees? And forget about work/life balance, they don't care. Some people are given summer hours, while others are not. Some are given ability to work from home, others are not. Most of the jobs are given to incompetent people because they are friends with directors. Most decent established employees do not stay there and find better places to work where they will actually be appreciated.

Advice to Management

I don't have any, they obviously don't care.