PTC Reviews in Boston, MA | Glassdoor

PTC CEO Jim Heppelmann
Jim Heppelmann

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • Lack of long term strategy and work/life balance (in 38 reviews)

• Communication from upper management is poor (in 26 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"New PTC - best place I've worked!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Needham, MA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Needham, MA

I have been working at PTC full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Leading innovative products, talented employees who can make a difference and are rewarded for it, a collaborative culture, an executive team that are all rowing in the same direction all make PTC a great place to work, especially if you pride yourself in making a difference and achieving great things. People are friendly, very smart, and want to make a difference. Friday social hours, employee resource groups, change-maker recognition, and stock grant to all employees demonstrate a focus on the importance of our people, who make everything possible.

Cons

PTC wants to drive positive change, and while the company emphasizes and rewards this, there are still pockets of resistance, which is probably to be expected in a 30-year old company. Some people have been at PTC so long, that while they have great historical, institutional knowledge, they don't have much perspective on how others outside are solving problems today.

Advice to Management

Continue to move fast to win in IoT and to complete the business model move to subscription. Recognize and reward the employees (at all levels) who are driving the transformation.

2. "Analyst"

Current Employee - Business Analyst in Needham, MA
    Current Employee - Business Analyst in Needham, MA

I have been working at PTC full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The team is motivating, inspirational, supportive, human and approachable. I have access to amazing mentors who are SVP in the company. Big career opportunities.

Cons

Know how to be independent and work on your own

Advice to Management

keep up the culture change

3. "Exciting time to lead IoT"

Current Employee - Vice President - Technology in Needham, MA
    Current Employee - Vice President - Technology in Needham, MA

I have been working at PTC full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Energetic, transformative, agile, accelerating, winning! If you like these characteristics and can handle rapid change, then this is a place you can make a profound impact.

Cons

Need to tighten up synchronized business / technology planning timelines to optimize all the wood behind the arrow for maximum positive impact.

Advice to Management

Keep up the velocity. Clock speed in IIoT, AR and VR increasing daily. Ensure underpinnings on operations and back office sufficiently invested to rapidly scale to support evolving GTM strategy.

"Marketing Manager"

Current Employee - Marketing Manager in Needham, MA
    Current Employee - Marketing Manager in Needham, MA

I have been working at PTC full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Innovative tech company. Strong changes to improve culture. Stock price has increased significantly with current CEO

Cons

The company would significantly benefit from doing mandatory manager training. Several people have teams that report to them and have no skills when it comes to providing constructive criticism, encouragement, and fostering collaboration. People often switch teams solely due to the fact that their direct manager is not equipped to be a manager.

Advice to Management

Have people with direct reports take management training and do 360 reviews to make sure that it's working.

Also company says it is family friendly - but it's inconsistent. Several managers frown upon needing to work from home.

"Great Company! Love working for an industry leader!"

Current Employee - Talent Acquisition Specialist in Needham, MA
    Current Employee - Talent Acquisition Specialist in Needham, MA

I have been working at PTC full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

-20 Days PTO
    -15% discounted Employee Stock Purchasing Program
    -Social Fridays with beer and events
    -The Company has emerged as a leader in IOT
    - Great new culture, can wear jeans to work
    -Stock price has tripled since I started working here in 2013

Cons

-The company is always changing, some people don't like that but all the changes have been for the better.

6. "Strategy Intern"

Former Intern - Strategy Intern in Needham, MA
    Former Intern - Strategy Intern in Needham, MA

I worked at PTC as an intern

Pros

Excellent working culture, great intelligent people, give you good feedback on your work

Cons

you never know what your colleagues are thinking of as they are always saying encouraging words about your work, its hard to tell when they are honestly appreciating your work or just being good to your face.

7. "Strategy"

Current Employee - Strategy in Needham, MA
    Current Employee - Strategy in Needham, MA

I have been working at PTC full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great benefits, awesome people, dynamic environment. It is a very exciting time to work at PTC! With PTC's recent acquisitions and growth in the AR space, PTC is in a great position to succeed.

Cons

Very fast paced, dynamic environment

Advice to Management

Continue the story! LiveWorx 2017 was an excellent event, which finally delivered on what PLM promised. Complete cycle PLM.

8. "PTC: Innovative and Growing"

Current Employee - Talent Acquisition Intern in Needham, MA
    Current Employee - Talent Acquisition Intern in Needham, MA

I have been working at PTC part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

As an intern at PTC, I frequently help out on smaller projects given to me by managers and also anything that the other employees need. Each employee makes sure that I am comfortable doing what I am doing and that I'm on the right path to success. Everyone has a friendly attitude and I honestly enjoy coming to work. There are weekly events that interns get to attend that help with public speaking, personal growth, and problem-solving. At PTC, they truly want the interns to learn and be better as a worker, but also as an individual.

Cons

Sometimes, an intern may receive work from 2-3 different employees and it might seem overwhelming.; however, if you space your time our effectively and let the employees know that you are working on various projects at the same time, it doesn't seem quite as stressful at all.

Advice to Management

Keep involving the interns as much as possible as it helps us get ready for the real-world careers that we will have to search for after graduation.

"OK place. They rely on a select few to do all the work. Many VPs who do nothing and make tons."

Current Employee - Finance Director in Needham, MA
    Current Employee - Finance Director in Needham, MA

I have been working at PTC full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Strong products, solid vision, some very talented people are around to do the vast majority of work. Decent PTO packages.

Cons

Restructuring every quarter. New plans that never pan out each quarter. Burns out good workers. Can't execute on plans. Cheap to invest in tools where needed.

Advice to Management

Stop hiring management and hire some staff to do all the work you need done.

10. "Decent Place to Intern"

Current Intern - Marketing Operations Intern in Needham, MA
    Current Intern - Marketing Operations Intern in Needham, MA

I have been working at PTC as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

Freedom to accomplish project goals by your own methods. Not very stressful

Cons

Some of the work that is assigned is kind of tedious. Also, there are times where there isn't much to do but do busy work