PVA Consulting Group Reviews | Glassdoor

Sort: PopularRatingDate

"Business Development Director"

Former Employee - Director in Orlando, FL
    Former Employee - Director in Orlando, FL

I worked at PVA Consulting Group (More than a year)

Pros

The staff here is wonderful. Nice Place to work.

Cons

None - They treated me very well

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work

"Learning experience"

Former Employee - Management Consultant
    Former Employee - Management Consultant

I worked at PVA Consulting Group full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Good place to learn the traditional Management Consulting business

Cons

Old school methodology and mindset keep this small company on a solid flatline trajectory. Lack of openness to input by employees with the company less than ten years means they tend to listen to associates that have learned not to challenge or argue.

Advice to Management

Follow the advice you give your clients.

Stop rewarding archaic management styles.

Embrace a Brave new World.

Mar 20, 2017 – Communications Specialist

We appreciate your feedback and are sorry to hear that your perspective on our methodology is that of a "flatline". PVA Consulting Group has heavily invested over many years to sustain and... More

"Okay place to start"

Former Employee - Consultant in Boisbriand, QC (Canada)
    Former Employee - Consultant in Boisbriand, QC (Canada)

I worked at PVA Consulting Group full-time (More than a year)

Pros

PVA is a good company to start this particular type of consulting. You will be exposed to all sorts of industries and meet all sorts of people along the way. The methodologies you learn will prove helpful throughout your career.
    If you have ever wanted fly first class, you may get a chance if you stick around with the company long enough. The points and status earned with all the travel involved are an added bonus.
    If you are able to manage the frequent travel and fulfill your obligations in driving the required results, the company will likely give you a promotion within a very reasonable time period.
    The company also offers a travel day that is not as common in the industry.

Cons

The travel involved is not for everyone, especially when you are required to work stupid hours. During an analysis of a project, you can work up to 70 hours plus travel. If you are new with the company, you are more likely to do night shifts, if required by the project.
    Because of the demands of the job, there is a decent turnover of new consultants (and apparently some more seasoned ones as of late). I found some of the "veteran" consultants resourceful and easy to get along with, with some of the others it was the complete opposite. I guess the latter happens in all work places, but it really rubs you the wrong way even more when you are on the road 100%. There is nothing worse than getting blasted for some trivial reason when you are hundreds of km's away from home and you are just trying to do your best with the least amount of sleep.
    The salary offered is under industry standard, but I believe other benefits are offered to mask this.
    If you are looking for a warm and friendly place to work, this may not be your place. The company is result driven and client focused, consultants (especially new ones) come later. It has had some success with this approach over the years, so it is unlikely it will change. Just know that going in, it will help.

Advice to Management

My biggest advice would be to look for better ways to incorporate technology into the system (pencils should only be used to take notes, not presentations, in my humble opinion), find a way to retain some youth and revisit continuous improvement strategies.
    Your re-branding looks very good, by the way. My two cents anyhow. Good luck!

Jun 14, 2017 – Communications Specialist

Thank you for your review. Indeed, our travel day is not common within the industry, and we believe it is among the many reasons as to why we have one of the highest tenure of employees and retention... More

"Director"

Pros

I have spent the majority of my career with PVA, starting as an entry level consultant over 20 years ago to my current role as Director of Operations.
    Working for this firm has had many rewards including job fulfillment and financial stability.
    I get up each day looking forward to helping our clients by delivering on our promises and solving complex problems and issues.
    PVA is extremely loyal to their employees and ensures efforts and results are recognized and rewarded.
    I am most proud of watching the professional growth of my fellow colleagues as they become world class advisers to the clients we are proud to serve.

Cons

Travel requirements may be difficult for some.(lifestyle)

Advice to Management

Look forward to the continued growth in the future

Mar 20, 2017 – Communications Specialist

Thank you for your feedback. I am so pleased to see that you highlighted the opportunity to grow and learn while here at PVA Consulting Group. We are always looking at ways to invest in our staff, to... More

"PVA invests in its people"

I have been working at PVA Consulting Group full-time

Pros

Great opportunities to move quickly within the organization. Internal communication has steadily improved since the last 5 years. The company cares about its people and offers a great work life balance

Cons

Some changes can be slow to implement

Advice to Management

Keep the positive changes that have been happening in the recent past

Mar 20, 2017 – Communications Specialist

We thank you for your valuable input and your note on change implementation. Changes in an organization are always dependent on its successful integration into the corporate culture, and thus may... More

"Great Opportunities to Learn Valuable Skills!!!"

I have been working at PVA Consulting Group full-time

Pros

This company is a great way to start in the management consulting world. Lots of support from colleagues and management, trust in each other and great team spirit. So many experienced and knowledgeable people guide you and help you grow which makes the experience rich in itself.

Cons

There is not really any cons, but you need to be able to work in a team as much as be able to work by yourself. You are not going to have a full team with you on all projects which is something you need to be comfortable with.

Advice to Management

Keep bringing PVA to the next level

Mar 20, 2017 – Communications Specialist

Thank you for your positive review!

"Set for success"

Pros

Adaptable is the word that best describes this company! A new vision was recently implemented and it's engaging everyone in the right direction. Communication is not only THE trend, but the reality. Whatever your postion or level, you have access to important and detailed information that will drive you to success! This is an employer of choice for the organization culture and overall benefits.

Cons

Besides the extensive traveling that is part of the job, there is nothing major enough to state as cons.

Advice to Management

Your wisdom has led you to your current success and growth. Continue to utilize your amazing internal resources, as each piece makes the overall masterpiece an amazing one!

Jan 30, 2017 – Communications Specialist

We appreciate your time in posting your work experience at PVA Consulting Group. We welcome all feedback and are committed to earning your positive comments and hearing your suggestions. We will... More

"Over two decades of working with PVA"

Pros

Good working environment, people easy to get along with and very helpful, great team mates and social atmosphere.
    Very good corporate culture, that really does have a "can do" attitude. The employees are committed to support the mission and goal of the company and business.
    Employers are flexible and caring about their employees, the work/life balance is very well managed.
    A great place to cut your teeth on challenging projects, great learning experiences.

Cons

Reward and recognition for successes is not always well managed, which makes motivation challenging. However, the management is getting better at this.
    Opportunities to progress in a support role are few, which can be frustrating.
    You can progress, but it takes consistency in achievements, and potentially many years, regardless of your experience.

Advice to Management

Keep trying to innovate, explore new initiatives to expand our services by bringing in new blood. But do not forget that the veterans can still bring a lot to the table.

Jan 30, 2017 – Communications Specialist

Thank you for taking the time to write a review. Your feedback is greatly appreciated, especially on the point of recognition at PVA Consulting Group. We will implement your feedback well beyond the... More

"Don't be fooled by positive reviews posted by PVA insiders."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Toronto, ON (Canada)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I worked at PVA Consulting Group full-time

Pros

Pros: You'll gain interesting client experiences and learn their (basic) methodology. You'll also acquire frequent flyer points due to extensive travel.

Cons

Cons: Archaic way of working - nothing is automated - prepare your HB pencils as everything has to be written out and calculated by hand. Signs of a paranoid executive. Copies are limited for fear you'll leave with their expertise - one they borrowed from another firm doing the same work. There are very long hours and absolutely no consideration for work/life balance. Bullying is the way of the land and people around you fear the CEO. This is not an organization who cares about their staff and merely focuses on winning contracts. Set your sights on more established and refined organizations that operate in the same field where you'll gain more valuable (up-to-date) experience and work in a healthier environment.

Image is far more important to senior management - hence their reply to this feedback and others you'll see here on glassdoor.

Advice to Management

Bring in new blood and automate processes. Stop bullying your staff. It is well known that consulting requires many hours on the road, however, measures are put in place in other firms to compensate.

Jun 13, 2016 – Communications Specialist

Thank you Anonymous for your comments. First: PVA does not have nor have we ever had a CEO...Long hours are monitored, and we encourage that the work gets done within the client's workday. As for... More

"The Management Consulting World isn't that easy"

Pros

I’ve worked for PVA for 4-5 years. When you start in the consulting world, you basically have to follow the methodology and go by the rules. It can quickly get boring and frustrating for motivated people who strive to learn and better themselves but then again you have to understand that it is the way to learn. People will say that PVA is a very hierarchical and that time will get you promoted, which is not true. Your hard work, eagerness and achievements are going to get you promoted. If you show your PM that you are eager to learn and demonstrate that you can do more than what is assigned to you, they will recognize it, provide you with the proper training to become a PM and support you. Now, all PMs are different, some will make your life harder than others just because they can, some don’t have the best ability to teach and some are excellent but you can always learn something useful from each. You hear a lot of excuses like: “I wasn’t given a chance…” but it’s about taking that opportunity when it shows and creating your own professional path. PVA recognizes talent, their goal is to train consultants to become PM. Being able to learn on each project and apply your skills in all kinds of industries is what keeps the job interesting.

Cons

You do have to work long hours and traveling every week can get hard but PVA made changes to their traveling policies to accommodate work and personal life balance which really makes it easier and also speaks a lot about PVA.

Nov 2, 2015 – Partner

Thank you very much for sharing your experience at PVA, and especially for providing a reality check to our current employees looking to move up and for prospective candidates looking to join us... More