Pace Analytical Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated June 27, 2017

Full-timePart-time

Steve A Vanderboom

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Nice coworkers, lots of hands-on experience for entry level employees (in 9 reviews)

• Worked with great people, lots of opportunities for further education (in 9 reviews)

1. "Lab Analyst II"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Greenfield, IN

I have been working at Pace Analytical full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Pace is good to their employees

Cons

Local Pace management aren't always transparent

2. "Lab Technician"

Former Employee - Lab Technician in Asheville, NC
    Former Employee - Lab Technician in Asheville, NC

I worked at Pace Analytical full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Yearly pay raises.
    Yearly bonuses.
    Good work environment.

Cons

Zero Tolerance Policy.
    Training could be better.

"A good place to start your career!"

Former Employee - Lab Analyst I in New Orleans, LA
    Former Employee - Lab Analyst I in New Orleans, LA

I worked at Pace Analytical full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- Good place to get your career jump started
    - Steady Work/Life
    - Good environment

Cons

- Low base pay
    - Little room for upward mobility/raises

Advice to Management

Find ways to keep employees engaged. It's quick to get set in your ways.
    Encourage if not make people learn new things and shift things around.

4. "Great Place to Grow"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Greenfield, IN

I have been working at Pace Analytical full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Helpful management, Open Door Policy, Love my Pace Team at the Greenfield location! Shortly after starting my career with Pace, I required an emergency surgery with 2 weeks recovery time. Pace was extremely accommodating! They care about their people, and it shows!

Cons

None at this time.

5. "A great place to get started in the environmental science world."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Minneapolis, MN
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Minneapolis, MN

I have been working at Pace Analytical full-time

Pros

Competitive benefits and salary (much better than other organizations I've worked at). This place is looking to grow like crazy so there are tons of opportunities. Many, many people in the organization have been there for over 10 years, so job security is great. The people are fantastic you're really dealing with a huge group who are passionate about their organization, the environment, and working together as a group. The company is also the only major analytical testing firm that is American owned and operated, and there is a lot of pride in that.

Cons

The company is split into 3 major departments that really operate as separate units and is a bit siloed.

"Good Experience - to move on a find a better job."

Former Employee - Laboratory Analyst in Melville, NY
    Former Employee - Laboratory Analyst in Melville, NY

I worked at Pace Analytical full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great place to build your resume. Coworkers are a quirky bunch that you may quickly learn to love. I built lasting friendships working at Pace, and the instrumental experience I gained in the lab is priceless. Small perks like the holiday party (open bar!), BBQs, ice cream trucks, monthly cake for birthdays, weekly fruit platters, etc. help break the monotony of routine. Schedules are flexible if you take classes, have kids, or appointments. There are yearly reviews and small raises. Opportunities to move up or laterally in the company surface sometimes when employees leave - take advantage!

Cons

Benefits aren't great, and neither is pay. You are pressured and expected to work overtime and weekends for long periods of time. Training is either poor or nonexistent, and much of the work is left for you to figure out for yourself. Only months later, you may find out from the QC department that you've been doing your job incorrectly. Occasionally you are expected to troubleshoot complicated instrumentation - with little to no experience - in lieu of a certified professional service tech. Due to a combination of poor supervision and impossibly high demand, sketchy practices are sometimes allowed to make a quick dollar. However, when all is said and done, the blame falls on you and the company wipes their hands clean. The place has become a revolving door of exhausted and dissatisfied people, and at 1 year of my time there, I was already considered a "senior analyst." By the time I left, I was at my wit's end.

Advice to Management

Treat your employees with more respect. We are all human beings - see to it that we have a human amount of work to accomplish. Remember that everyone has a life to live outside of the lab. INVEST IN YOUR STELLAR EMPLOYEES. They won't leave if they are paid fairly and aren't under daily crippling stress. Quality work can be produced if the necessary time and resources are available to do it.

7. "Thrown away like damaged goods"

Former Employee - Lab Analyst in Duluth, GA
    Former Employee - Lab Analyst in Duluth, GA

I worked at Pace Analytical full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

GREAT job until life happens.

Cons

Passive aggressive supervisor cliquiest organization.

Advice to Management

Get off carpet ,Train people

"Contract Work"

Current Employee - Regulatory Analyst in Minneapolis, MN
    Current Employee - Regulatory Analyst in Minneapolis, MN

I have been working at Pace Analytical full-time

Pros

Comfortable and challenging work environment. It's a large company so there are many different positions and locations available within Pace if you'd like to try something else. Great if you're a recent graduate with no work experience and are struggling to find that first job.

Cons

This company is a scientific staffing agency. Most positions require a Bachelor's degree in a scientific field yet the pay is well below any median salaries for similar positions in the area. In fact, many positions are contract at larger companies were you work along side people earning 2-3 times as much.

Advice to Management

the cost of higher education is increasing. The UMN estimates students need to borrow 25k per year, that's ~ 100k or less if you're able to get scholarships or grants. If a Bachelor's degree is required for a position you should at least provide a salary that enables employees to make their loan payments.

"Management not so great."

Former Employee - Project Manager in Melville, NY
    Former Employee - Project Manager in Melville, NY

I worked at Pace Analytical full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

My coworkers were great! The culture amongst us was great. Oh, and we would have fresh fruits every Wednesday. Yep. Pretty much sums up the pros.

Cons

Management wasn't all that great. Lots of gossip and very cliquish. All they care about is metric and not true services to their clients. I worked in the Long Island, NY location.

Advice to Management

Overhaul needed for management!!!!

"LabOps Division - Good People, Mediocre Pay and Benefits"

Former Employee - Engineering Worker in Maplewood, MN
    Former Employee - Engineering Worker in Maplewood, MN

I worked at Pace Analytical full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Pace has a highly talented group of employees and management, many fresh from college and ready to adapt to the latest industry practices. There is a lot of talent at this company, I just with the company knew it.

Cons

Very poor salary. Pace is a business which always seems to be expanding. I feel that senior management has put far too much emphasis on acquisitions and growth and "competing in the industry" as opposed to investing in the people and employees that actually enable them to compete and grow. On my team, turnover was high enough that I became the most senior member within 2 years. Pace pays so far below the market rate for so many positions, that almost any movement out of the company meant a significantly higher paycheck. This means that Pace sees substantial loss of talent and experience to a problem that has a seemingly simple solution.

Advice to Management

Learn more about your employees that have stuck with the small paychecks for 1yr+. Find out what they actually do every day and then do some research and see what they're actually worth. You'll be surprised. I am doing very similar work now for a different company and my salary more than doubled when I left Pace. Pace places a large focus on consistency and high levels of customer service; It only makes sense that should invest in the employees that make those goal attainable. Appreciate your people and they will appreciate your company back with higher productivity and quality.