Pace Analytical Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

2.8
Steve A. Vanderboom

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "The coworkers are great for the most part which makes the work day enjoyable" (in 10 reviews)

• "Nice coworkers, lots of hands-on experience for entry level employees" (in 15 reviews)

Cons
  • "low pay, but competitive for entry level" (in 32 reviews)

• "Women are often disrespected (from all levels especially upper management), talked over and severely under paid" (in 14 reviews)

"kits"

Former Employee - Kits in Ormond Beach, FL
    Former Employee - Kits in Ormond Beach, FL

I worked at Pace Analytical part-time (More than a year)

Pros

has a friendly environment to work in

Cons

organization can be an issue

Jul 20, 2018 – Pace Analytical

Organizing and increasing efficiencies is something Pace Analytical has as a top priority. We're glad you liked working for us and thank you for your recommendation!

2. "Chemist"

I have been working at Pace Analytical full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good working environment and growths opportunities

Cons

The pay is not so good

3. "lab analyst for 3m"

Current Employee - Lab Analyst in Maplewood, MN
    Current Employee - Lab Analyst in Maplewood, MN

I have been working at Pace Analytical full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

easy
    sometimes get free food

Cons

job is boring and repeatative

Oct 15, 2018 – Pace Analytical

We're happy to see you are happy working at Pace Analytical!

4. "A great Place to Start"

Former Employee - Chemical Analyst in Lenexa, KS
    Former Employee - Chemical Analyst in Lenexa, KS

I worked at Pace Analytical full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

It's a good place to start and build up a resume. Some managers there were good and willing to fight in your corner. Holiday party is usually awesome.

Cons

Work life balance is awful in the summer. In the winter, there is a chance you wont make 40hrs. There is also something called "winter expense control" where depending on how long you have worked there you are forced to take somewhere between 1-3 days. Gemba, In the mornings you have to report on safety (near misses or injuries) quality (any issues with quality of data) Delivery (data on time or not)Productivity (amount of paid samples delivered) and Cost (OT). The issue with Gemba is that it is used as a punishment when you don't meet a goal in one or more of those categories (in my case it was mostly cost and productivity due to an instrument going down). You have sometimes barely time for lunch and have to meet with other stressed out employees to discuss that the instrument went down for the same reason it went down last month (a high volume of samples can make a column go quickly, think 150 samples a night). I had issues with QC employees were also difficult to work with.

Advice to Management

Do not allow Charlie on Gemba, he quickly became a major point of stress and anger when we had instrumental issues.
    Have a set amount of money for Pace Spirit established by HQ. Morale is low and I mean REALLY low and unfortunately this is one area that Charlie gives little to no funding.

Additionally do not drag your feet when getting a heater or ac unit fixed. I have been in a lab when the heater was broken with winter gloves and coat under my ppe. It should not take 3 months to get the heater or ac unit repaired.

Cross train, I want HQ to push for more cross training, give management some reward for having x amount of cross trained employees. Metals should be cross trained with o prep. Voas with Semi Voas etc. This is the easiest way to keep productivity up and with it make morale a little higher especially when one dept gets hit with a large volume of samples.

Focus on the vet employees. If you want to raise morale focus on their needs to get their jobs done. With the high turn around rate that currently happens at entry level the best you can do is try to raise the morale in the workforce that has stayed (which may result in more new hires sticking around) and raise the new hire pay rate. When I started it was 13.50 and hour which is difficult to get by. While working there it was raised and that was due to the CEO visiting and hearing from what some of the vet employees were saying. I would like it raised again and or bring back merit raises. When you have employees coming in at 3 am to check up on important data or coming and working their entire weekend you should reward them.

"Manager"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Minneapolis, MN
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Minneapolis, MN

I worked at Pace Analytical full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

I had awesome co-workers and amazing/hardworking staff.

Cons

Everything felt like an uphill battle. The environment is very intense and groups and divisions do not work together.

There is a very large gender gap. Women are often disrespected (from all levels especially upper management), talked over and severely under paid.

Advice to Management

There are many people sitting in management positions that are not qualified for the work they are responsible for. It is very stressful on their employees and creates and very stressful and resentful environment. It’s time to take a hard look at the people in charge and make some decisions if they want the business to move forward.

Sep 24, 2018 – Pace Analytical

We appreciate your feedback and take gender equality very seriously. We strive to treat all employees of any gender with respect and dignity. If you have any further details you would care to share... More

"Forward thinking organization"

Current Employee - General Manager in Grand Rapids, MI
    Current Employee - General Manager in Grand Rapids, MI

I have been working at Pace Analytical full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Forward thinking corporation with leadership to match. More fringe benefits are available compared to other companies I've worked for. Abundance of opportunities to learn and improve knowledge on a wide range of subjects. All employees are held to a high-level of performance which increases the overall quality of data and job satisfaction.

Cons

Too much time spent acquiring corporate data and creating spreadsheets.

Oct 2, 2018 – Pace Analytical

We are glad to hear about your experience with Pace Analytical, and while we understand reporting isn't for everyone, we are thrilled you take advantage of opportunities to continue to grow your... More

"Positive vibe at this organization"

Current Employee - Programmer Analyst in Grand Rapids, MI
    Current Employee - Programmer Analyst in Grand Rapids, MI

I have been working at Pace Analytical full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I am able to come in daily and do the work I enjoy.

Cons

Technology is a little dated. That is common in our industry though.

"Pace Analytical Grand Rapids"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Grand Rapids, MI
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Grand Rapids, MI

I have been working at Pace Analytical full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Coworkers are great to work with. Benefits are pretty much the norm for a large company. Site is investing in the future by upgrading instrumentation.

Cons

Workload can get a little hectic at times. Learning to plan out the day is key.

Advice to Management

Value your employees, not just the bottom line.

"Laboratory Operations Manager"

Current Employee - Lab Manager in Grand Rapids, MI
    Current Employee - Lab Manager in Grand Rapids, MI

I have been working at Pace Analytical full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

- genuinely seeks to provide for and promote employee safety
    - sets very high priority on ethical treatment and behavior
    - aggressively pursues the timely reporting of accurate, documented results

Cons

- needs to improve on hiring and disciplinary practices

Advice to Management

Managing must be more about coaching, motivating and encouraging in a personal way than completing items in a complex spreadsheet through rigid deadlines.

10. "Low pay, glass ceiling"

I have been working at Pace Analytical full-time

Pros

My coworkers are nice but they're just as disgruntled as me.

Cons

Low pay. Unequal pay between employees. A new employee starting out is getting paid more than the same level employee who has been working there for years. Women are slow to be promoted in the lab. How many female principal chemists are there? NONE! A lot of people there, not just entry level, work 2nd jobs to survive. Overtime is expected.

Advice to Management

Pay your employees what they're worth. Your pay is not competitive at all. Pay attention to who you have working there, what they're getting paid, and what level they're at.

Oct 15, 2018 – Pace Analytical

We're sorry to hear your concerns. We strive to develop and promote all employees. If you have any additional concerns, we encourage you to reach out to your local HR Manager.