Pacific Bridge Medical Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

3.3
Ames Gross

Sort: PopularRatingDate

"Consulting Company in the Asian Medical Market: Small, Dynamic, and Interpersonal"

Former Employee - Junior Associate
    Former Employee - Junior Associate

I worked at Pacific Bridge Medical full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Working at Pacific Bridge Medical is a great introduction to the worlds of Asian business and medical consulting. Because PBM is a small company, all workers get a strong exposure to the inner workings of the company, and involvement in the company’s main projects from their first day on the job. The nature of PBM’s business also means that there will be many different jobs that need to be completed every day, keeping workers on their feet with a varied workload. The company’s culture is also strong, with a close-knit group that is always there to lend a helping hand when someone is in need. This manifests itself not only in the office itself, but at weekly Friday meals and the occasional celebratory meal out. Upper management at PBM are particularly interpersonal, interested in workers’ lives and willing to alleviate any stresses that may come from the job or the CEO.

Cons

Instructions on the job tend to be vague, and it may be hard to interpret exactly what the CEO wishes of you when he assigns you a project. Work may also seem tedious at times, as there are a lot of rudimentary tasks that must be completed every day at such a small company. It may be frustrating completing these simple tasks early on at PBM, but employees will get more involved the longer they stay on board, and as they get used to the ins and outs of the company. The CEO, as mentioned below, may be challenging for some workers to adjust to due to his leadership style. Despite this, however, he certainly does value his employees and works interpersonally with them, often assigning tasks based on what employees feel they are strongest at. Finally, because the CEO determines the company’s direct course of action, it may be challenging to take initiative as a new worker at PBM, something that particularly motivated employees may find frustrating.

2. "Intern experience"

Pros

I learned a lot about the industry through interning at Pacific Bridge Medical.
    The working hour is relatively flexible.

Cons

The CEO is quite a character from a good side and a bad side. It took a while to get used to.
    The company works in a niche area. Needs a lot of experience and trainings to develop a long-term career in this field.

"Fast-paced company with great opportunities to learn about business."

Pros

PBM is a well-established, small consulting firm that specializes in regulatory affairs in Asia for Western medical device and pharmaceutical companies. Working here will enable you to learn a lot about the medical industry, consulting, and business development. PBM is fast-paced and a great career-building experience if you are interested in consulting or business. The small size of the company enables you to have close relationships with your co-workers, who are extremely supportive, helpful, and understanding, as well as learn from them directly. There is a lot of trust and responsibility placed on to you. Tasks vary from sitting in on conference calls, formatting documents, conducting market research, and writing and editing medical technology articles. If you are hard-working and motivated, your work will be recognized and you will thrive.

Cons

The CEO of PBM has a very particular character -- you will either tolerate it or become annoyed by it. You will constantly be asked to edit and re-edit documents until the CEO approves. He means well by his criticisms and wants you to do the best work you can do, but you will have to get used to his management style. It will be apparent if he favors you. You may have to complete vague tasks until you figure out what the CEO actually wants. Tasks may become repetitive, but there will always be something new to learn. How much you enjoy working here depends on the mindset you bring to PBM.

"Great company with an excellent client reputation. Growth opportunities for thought provoking individuals."

Current Employee - Senior Consultant in Bethesda, MD
    Current Employee - Senior Consultant in Bethesda, MD

Pros

At PBM, colleagues are always willing to lend a helping hand. The office environment is fast paced and energetic. You work among extremely bright, motivated, hard-working, and dynamic individuals. I was previously employed by a large publicly owned company in an environment where teammates were extremely competitive and non supportive of one another. I can honestly say that everyone at PBM is genuinely a team player. Colleagues are supportive of one another’s success and work well together. You seldom receive negative responses, such as, “that’s not my job responsibility” or “figure it out on your own.”

The work is challenging, however, most definitely interesting since you interact with PBM’s offices in Asia quite often. In addition, since PBM provides both business development and regulatory consulting for all the Asia markets, the projects are very diverse, so you are not stuck with repetitive or tedious tasks. There are opportunities for domestic and international travel (depending on your position or the project you are assigned to). he CEO can be particularly critical of your work; however, at the end of the day, he truly cares for his employees and wants everyone to grow and succeed. If you desire to learn something new, you are given the opportunity to do so, but must demonstrate intelligence, dedication, and enthusiasm. Straightforwardly, all of the aforementioned pros heavily depend on your personal work ethic, if you are not self-driven and positive, you will be very unhappy working for this company.

Cons

Work/life balance, although respected, can be a bit tough during your initial starting months. Overtime is not a mandatory company policy (no one ever forces you to work long hours). Given that PBM's consulting projects are extremely complex, being able to independently manage projects is an earned privilege. You need to take the initiative to learn and fully grasp the business, which may require extended hours during the beginning of your employment. If you want a job that doesn't require "thinking outside the box" and multi-tasking, I would not recommend working here.

"Very challenging at times, but great potential for personal and professional growth"

Current Employee - Associate in Bethesda, MD
    Current Employee - Associate in Bethesda, MD

I have been working at Pacific Bridge Medical full-time

Pros

The workplace environment is a huge plus for this company. The coworkers are not only excellent at what they do, but also extremely friendly, supportive, and happy to work as a team.

Everyone works closely with the CEO, so if you perform well, you will be given a great deal of responsibility in a relatively short period of time. Even as an entry level employee who was fresh out of college, I was involved in a wide variety of projects and trusted with many responsibilities within just a few months of starting the job.

The work is diverse and fast-paced. The CEO is innovative with business strategies and will move fast to implement his ideas, so there are constantly new projects to work on along with the more standard projects the company usually takes on.

The company’s focus on Asia is a plus if you have an interest in the Asian region. If you know or have studied an Asian language, there will be chances to utilize your language skills from time to time.

Cons

If you prefer to follow clear-cut directions and not have to think for yourself in out-of-the-box ways, then it will be a challenge for you to grow at this company. The ability to think on your feet under pressure is a must.

It can be difficult to get used to the CEO’s managing style in the initial months because he is straightforward with his criticism; however, whether this turns out to be a pro or a con for your overall experience is dependent on your own attitude. Personally, I feel that learning to accept criticism and stepping out of my comfort zone in order to improve myself have been some of the most valuable and eye-opening experiences I have gained from working here. The CEO is not mean-spirited; he simply expects everyone to perform at a very high standard, and you either grow as an employee and a person to rise up to the challenge, or you can blame the CEO for pointing out your mistakes. He WILL recognize hard work and good performance, and he genuinely cares about his employees. When I mentioned that I was more interested in a certain aspect of the job, he was very accommodating in allowing me more time and resources to grow in that direction, even though I had only been working for a few months at the time and was in no position to make any demands.

If you are looking for a job where you can put in minimal effort to do passing work, you probably should not apply for a position at Pacific Bridge Medical. The people who feel the most rewarded with their experience working here are the ones who are self-motivated to do their best to help the company succeed.

"It is a consulting company"

Pros

Business oriented, must have business sense

Cons

Private company, very limited resource and supports

"Terrible Company"

Former Employee - Business Associate in Bethesda, MD
    Former Employee - Business Associate in Bethesda, MD

I worked at Pacific Bridge Medical full-time (More than a year)

Pros

There really are no pros to working at this super tiny company.

Cons

The company, if you can call it that, is more like a dictatorship run by the President of the company. Do not give any credit to the three 5-star ratings below. They are clearly written by someone still working for this guy. Scroll down to the comments below to find out the real truth from REAL people. The president of the company treats his employees terribly by yelling at them, constantly putting them down and telling them they do terrible work. It is a terrible work environment that no one should deal with. Whatever you do, do not work for this company.

"Pacific Bridge Jump Started My Professional Career"

Former Employee - Manager in Bethesda, MD
    Former Employee - Manager in Bethesda, MD

I worked at Pacific Bridge Medical full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

+ Ability to Work in Fast Paced High Energy organization
    + Diversity of work (ranging from writing market research reports to helping on business development deals)
    + Ability for expanded responsibility if a person demonstrates results

Cons

- People who require a significant amount of structure and hand holding will not thrive in this environment
    - People who just want to "coast" through an internship will be challenged here. You need to work.

Advice to Management

I started working for Pacific Bridge, Inc. when I was a sophomore in college and I can honestly say that it provided a great foundation to jump start my career. I not only obtained exposure to the Asia medical device / pharma market but also learned core marketing skills, how to be accountable for managing projects and to work with a diverse group of people. The President of the company is tough but always treated me fairly and I was compensated well for delivering results. When I left Pacific Bridge to join one of our clients, I had his full support. Over my career I have worked at Fleet Laboratories, Covidien and am now a general manager with Zimmer Holdings. Like anything in life, true stars make their own opportunities. However PBI provided me the opportunity to do so.

"A good place for ambitious people who are genuinely interested in business in Asia"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bethesda, MD
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bethesda, MD

I worked at Pacific Bridge Medical full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

If you have an entrepreneurial spirit, are able to think outside the box, able to take criticism, thrive on your own accomplishments and have an interest in Asia, this is a good place to work early in your career. I joined the company only a few years after college and found myself in the unique position of dealing directly with clients at very senior levels within large multinational organizations. I attended numerous conferences throughout the US and traveled to meet with clients. You have to work hard, but it’s not investment banking or management consulting hours. You’re working on projects exclusively focused on Asia so you might need to make calls in the evening or on Sunday nights. You might have an occasional 12-hour+ day, but you won’t be doing this 7 days per week unless you want to. Having moved on in my career, I can say that there was a good work-life balance at Pacific Bridge.

This company is not for people who want to drift through the day on Facebook or who want to build their social lives while in the office. If you have the mindset that your purpose in coming to work each day is to build your career skills, make money and do something that you find interesting, then you will understand that in order to achieve this you must help the company succeed. If all of this makes sense to you and you find what the company does fundamentally interesting, then I think you will thrive at PBM. At an earlier stage in your career, you will learn much more here than you could in a large corporate environment. This is a great place for ambitious people who want to learn about business in Asia.

Cons

To me this is not a con, but to be clear, this company is not for people who rely upon structure or predictability to get through the day. Ames is a small business owner and has been doing this for more than 25 years. He can be critical and change his mind quickly, but that’s how you stay flexible and alive in this type of business. If you put in an honest effort, are willing to take criticism constructively and are willing to push back when you need to, he will respect you and give you levels of responsibility that would take years to gain in a large corporate environment.

Again, this company is not for everyone, but ambitious, self-motivated people can do well and be successful here. When I left the company after 4+ years, I was ready to move on to other challenges, but feel that the skills I developed at PBM will continue to be useful to me throughout my business career.

"Great opportunity for those willing to commit and learn the business"

I have been working at Pacific Bridge Medical full-time

Pros

I have definitely learned a lot working at PBM. Everyone trains in the company business (pharmaceutical and medical device consulting in Asia) for the first month. After the first several months, you sort of graduate from training and start taking on real tasks to help the business. So, you get to do a variety of things and really learn about the market segment from the bottom up.

Because it is a small office, everyone has direct access to the company president -- there are no mid-level managers or anything. Also, you can do a variety of different tasks in the office, instead of just doing the same small task repeatedly, like you might at a larger company.

There are also very good opportunities to advance. Even if you know nothing about consulting or about the business, you can assist with projects and transition to consulting after 1-2 years (where you can make more money!). It all depends on how hard you are willing to work. The company president really rewards those who are loyal to the business and will work hard.

Co-workers are really friendly and the building is in a good location, close to the metro, with a gym on site, etc.

Cons

Especially for those who don’t know much about the business area, there is a steep learning curve the first couple of months when you are training and learning about the company’s work. Therefore, the first few months can be a bit difficult. After the training period, however, work becomes much more interesting. The company president expects everyone in the office to perform to very high standards.

One downside of it being a small office is that if you make a mistake, the company president does have direct access to take you to task for making the mistake, which can be rather intimidating at times. The president also expects everyone to double-check their work and make sure it is done well before submitting it -- so as long as you do this, you should be fine!

And it is consulting, which means that the working hours can be a bit long. But you are compensated for the longer work day and the bonus system and benefits are definitely good.