Pacific Child & Family Associates Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

2.5
Jeffrey P. Winter

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Direct Service Provider"

I worked at Pacific Child & Family Associates part-time

Pros

Having direct contact with supervisors

Cons

Traveling to different homes with each client.

2. "Not worth the mileage on your car"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Jose, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Jose, CA

I worked at Pacific Child & Family Associates part-time (More than a year)

Pros

At Pacific you are given the opportunity to work with children on the autism spectrum and watch them improve each and every session

Cons

Management. When I was first hired, they said that they were building a San Jose location and that most of the clients will be based in the area that you would like it to be. Folks, my clients would reach as far as OAKLAND and I would get absolutely no mileage reimbursement because the client would be my first and last client of the day. This is someone coming from San Jose!The company also promised that you would get holidays but quickly said that no, you would have to work on holidays Supervisors are supposed to be there for you on your first session of a new client, but I had found myself walking in on several sessions with absolutely no idea what to expect and had no help whatsoever. Half the time you feel alone because there is no support in place for you.

3. "Poor managment"

Pros

flexible schedule, help kids with disabilities

Cons

CFO does not care about staff, changes to hours as soon as I started

4. "Past employee"

I worked at Pacific Child & Family Associates full-time

Pros

You become a tight knit family. The new CEO and CFO have turned things around and really care about their employees. When enough people demand change, they work to make it happen.

Cons

The pay can be better.

"Company personnel gutted due to people quiting"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Ramon, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Ramon, CA

I have been working at Pacific Child & Family Associates part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I love working with our kiddos and families. And all my supervisors are nice people who care a lot about the kids and families.

Cons

Emails to staff speak in terms of punishment if you do not complete something by the due date. It just does not bring about a supportive atmosphere, but one of consequences IF you do not submit something on time. Huge turnovers on all levels of employment. From lower level workers to the clinical director. Constantly adding new requirements, policies, procedures, and protocol.

Advice to Management

Offer a procedure or email to staff which would share how an employee can move forward in their career with the company. Offer positive and supportive environment. Make lower level employees feel important.

6. "Not much opportunity for growth"

Former Employee - Behavior Therapist in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Behavior Therapist in Los Angeles, CA

Pros

I worked in the LA region as BT. Clients and coworkers were very nice and I learned a lot. It was more DTT company when I was there, but I leaned basic ABA as a therapist. It was nice that this company had many school cases as well as home cases to balance out the hours.

Cons

I had a nice supervisor at first, but my 2nd and 3rd supervisors were horrible. They would come and write on a supervisor note negative feedback but never discussed in person or taught me how I could improve. When I let my supervisor know parents wanted to change schedule for the summer, one supervisor thought I was changing schedule without their permission and called me into the office and gave me written warning. Not sure to this day what she was trying to do. Now she is a clinical director of this company.

They promoted me on my 3rd year but cut hourly wage by $3 on my 4th year saying that I make too much. Went from $18 to $15 per hour. I was still in the same position and had same responsibility as a senior therapist. When I got my MA in Psychology I asked if I could become a supervisor (I had excellent reviews from all my sups) and they said unless I have BCBA I cannot be a supervisor. There was no other career advice, and it took me more than 2 months just to have the meeting. Clearly, this company does not have any room for growth, and they don't consider employee's career planning as important. I went to a different ABA company and started working as a supervisor right away.

Advice to Management

For many ABA company nowadays I know it is difficult to have nice culture and supportive environment when they want to pursue max profit.
    Still, there are plenty of other ABA companies who tries to strike the balance. So the management needs to consider employee growth and satisfaction more. Unless employees are happy, we cannot make our customers happy. Lay out more clear career path, and create a culture to support it on the management level and supervisor's level.

"Apparently things are changing?"

Current Employee - DSP in Glendale, CA
    Current Employee - DSP in Glendale, CA

I have been working at Pacific Child & Family Associates part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Being able to see a child's growth because of ABA. Knowing that your small contribution is going to make a big difference in the long run of the child, family, and community affected by autism.

Cons

The children are the only thing keeping me in this company.

-Received minimal training. Received 25 hours of classroom training. I felt like this training did not prepare me well enough provide the proper services for the children.
    - Once you've gone through the training, you'll do overlaps. I was given two overlaps (6 hours) before starting my first case. I felt like I needed to observe more before putting me out on the field.
    - All of my supervisors have been great. However, in the few months that I've been here, I've seen so many come and go. So I lack supervision for weeks or months in some cases until they find someone to replace them.

8. "ABA"

Former Employee - Behavioral Therapist in Glendale, CA
    Former Employee - Behavioral Therapist in Glendale, CA

I worked at Pacific Child & Family Associates part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

work with kids. get to know families. bonding. pay is ok.

Cons

so many changes with administration that it ruined communication. asked to move from part-time to full-time and never got an answer when they said they would.

9. "Ok"

Current Employee - Direct Service Provider
    Current Employee - Direct Service Provider

Pros

Working with great families
    Good online training

Cons

Stressful schedule that puts too much strain on kids and therapist

Expectations of employees working on holidays and having no paid time off. Employees should not have to make up hours if client cancels due to kid being sick. You really can never get ahead.

Insufficient training and communication

Asks a lot for non-clinical pay rate

Advice to Management

Better time off policies and training please

10. "DIRECT SERVICE PROVIDER"

Former Employee - Direct Service Provider in El Paso, TX
    Former Employee - Direct Service Provider in El Paso, TX

Pros

Enjoy working with the children and their families.

Cons

Pay is poor. No structure, poor leadership locally, poor communication when it comes to scheduling. Difficult to remain informed and understand the process. They just want you to take a bunch of tests, but not structure. A few cents of employment payment increase.

Advice to Management

Communicate to staff and ensure employees understand the expectation. Be available to provide guidance and leadership.