Pacific Dental Services Associate Dentist Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated Dec 19, 2019

2.4
Pacific Dental Services President Stephen Thorne
Stephen Thorne
  1. "Great Private Practice Model in a DSO"

I have been working at Pacific Dental Services full-time for less than a year

Pros

Benefits, Support, Mentorship, CE, Culture

Cons

Production based, heavy on referral to specialists

Pacific Dental Services2019-11-21

"Ignorant Operations Managers"

Former Employee - Associate Dentist

I worked at Pacific Dental Services full-time for less than a year

Pros

My coworkers and OD were a pleasure to work with.

Cons

I have never felt so disrespected and discriminated against until I worked at PDS. We got a new egotistical operations manager who previously worked at a car rental place, worlds away from dentistry. He had the audacity to sit me down and tell me that I needed his PERMISSION to leave the office. He said that I had to tell him where I was going during my free time and he would be the judge of whether it was ok or not. I would understand if I was paid by the hour, but I’m not. I would have huge gaps in my schedule due to lack of patients. I told him that I did not want to just waste my time sitting in the cold break room while I wait for my patient to arrive HOURS later. I tried to compromise with this corporate goonie by explaining that if I’m needed for an emergency walk-in patient he could simply text me and I’ll be there before the X-rays are even taken because I’m normally just at the Target in the same shopping center as the office or in my car. Of course his ego was too large to compromise and he refused to let me leave the office without getting his permission first. He said that I could do OFFICE WORK when I’m not seeing patients. That is HIS job that he is paid for, not mine. Plus, everyone in the office leaves to run errands when there are no patients, yet only I was reprimanded for this and supposed to bow down to his ruling. I quit that very day. HR attempted to contact me regarding it, but gave me a phone number that had a full voicemail. I called several times and she NEVER picked up. I even emailed her to schedule a time to talk about it and she did not respond with a time. HR clearly wanted to create a facade that they care, but clearly don’t. Stay away from PDS if you don’t wish to be a slave to corporate goonies that know nothing about dentistry and only care about numbers.

Advice to Management

Hire people that know about dentistry to run DENTAL offices.

Pacific Dental Services2019-12-20

"Very unethical dental practices"

Current Employee - Associate Dentist in Las Vegas, NV

I have been working at Pacific Dental Services full-time for more than a year

Pros

Ok place to start as a new dentist Cerec training Increase your speed Don't have to do tx you're not comfortable with - can refer

Cons

Need to up sell if your want to make money They tell you how you "need to dx more SRP's or Crowns" They only care about profits and not about pt care If you don't make your average daily production you have to pay back what you owe to the company No PTO or paid holidays Frequently need to work through lunch Poor mentorship, my OD is not very knowledgeable but this depends on your owner doc OD may take high productive treatment leaving you with scraps Associates get the worst insurance and owner doc always had the best. I would work twice as hard for half the pay Always out of supplies they are so focused on profit they regularly under order and you can be out of cement, gauze, bibs etc. We are ALL replaceable. Dentists are commodities CE classes they offer are all internal with the company and also brainwashing type classes about PDS Everything is about selling treatment and verbiage for patients to accept treatment they might not need High turnover

Advice to Management

Remember why you became a dentist! You are a doctor and need to treat your patients not maximize profits! Re-eval the way you pay your doctors. Take better care of your all employees instead of only focusing on revenue.

Pacific Dental Services2019-11-01

"Terrible for Associates, Great for company and owners"

Former Employee - Associate Dentist in Denver, CO

I worked at Pacific Dental Services full-time for more than a year

Pros

Free CE, Get to work with new technology

Cons

You are a dental salesman, not a dentist at PDS supported offices. Pay is based on how much you sell, not the quality of your work. As an associate, you will often have to do follow ups for other doctors because they are too busy doing production work. The company will push you to sell "upgraded" (more expensive) crowns, laser treatments for periodontal disease, and oral DNA testing which isn't covered by insurance plans. We had multiple training sessions alone on how to sell oral DNA testing. The line that "the average PDS supported dentist makes $160,000 to $390,000" that appears in all of their job listings also includes owner doctors who take the majority the practice revenue. Don't expect to make anywhere near that amount of money as an associate. Associate compensation is based on how much you sell, so you have "unlimited earning potential." In reality, there will be days where you will walk home with near minimum wage salary, when your owner decided that you had to do a bunch of HMO exams and cleanings for no production (ie no sales). There is no PTO and you'll have to work most holidays including Christmas Eve and New Years Eve. In summary, associate dentist positions with PDS are extremely high risk positions, especially for recent graduates. There is a possibility that you can end up in a good office. There is a greater possibility that if you don't sell enough, take a sick day, or get a bad review that you will be terminated. PDS offices go through associate dentists extremely quickly. I worked with 3 different associates in the same office over an eight month period.

Pacific Dental Services2019-11-07

"High Turnover. New staff every 6 months."

Former Employee - Associate Dentist in Temecula, CA

I worked at Pacific Dental Services full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Great mentorship available. Cerec training. Implant seminars. 401K. Bc emphasis on specialty, do not have to perform RCT or XBs if you don't want to.

Cons

As an associate, you will only get the worst insurances, most difficult patients, and will have to work all the holidays like day before Thanksgiving, Christmas Eve, New Year's Eve. Lots and lots of gossip about your private life. Very unprofessional environment with little to no respect for the doctor.

Advice to Management

Be good to the good people. Fire the lazy ones.

Pacific Dental Services2019-09-27

"Doc in the Box"

Former Employee - Associate Dentist in Chapin, SC

I worked at Pacific Dental Services full-time for less than a year

Pros

I really did not see any positive aspects to this company.

Cons

Way to heavy on Ad Min side

Advice to Management

Get out of the Profession. You are treating patients, not selling TV's. Your front desk and area business managers are clueless.

Pacific Dental Services2019-05-23

"Get if you want to use it as stepping stone not for long run"

I have been working at Pacific Dental Services full-time for more than a year

Pros

Good for a start. Easy to get job with PDS since dentists don't stick around for more than 6 months.

Cons

Really bad work culture. These guys are production and money driven. They don't care about the dentists.

Advice to Management

Dentists are not a commodity. Show some respect towards dentists. Corporate guys treat dentists like crap.

Pacific Dental Services2019-02-01
  8. "Associate Dentist"

I have been working at Pacific Dental Services full-time for more than a year

Pros

Work, Life, Balance is great. Good income with lots of CE

Cons

Too much patient, heavy workload

Pacific Dental Services2018-12-10
  9. "Associate Dentist"

I have been working at Pacific Dental Services full-time for less than a year

Pros

Mentorship, Nice office, Great staff

Cons

Compensation, not much to say here other than that

Advice to Management

Be more transparent with Associate Dentist Average Daily Production before hiring.

Pacific Dental Services2018-11-03
  10. "Very good"

Current Employee - Associate Dentist in Portland, OR

I have been working at Pacific Dental Services full-time for less than a year

Pros

- training - mentorship - path to ownership

Cons

- treatment planning courses encourage aggressive planning but is called “conservative” because it prevents problems at the sacrifice of health/pt finances

Pacific Dental Services2018-08-18