Pacific Dental Services "dentistry" Reviews | Glassdoor

Pacific Dental Services Employee Reviews about "dentistry"

Updated Dec 19, 2019

3.4
Pacific Dental Services President Stephen Thorne
Stephen Thorne
Pros
  • "I loved how I was able to work on a project that actual dentists could use in the field to positively impact their practice(in 46 reviews)

• "I have been a Dental Assistant for over 9 years and never thought that I would still learn so much in dentistry with so much of excitement(in 36 reviews)

Cons
  • "PDS offices go through associate dentists extremely quickly(in 62 reviews)

• "You have to be cognizant of what it takes to create a good work life balance, but that's largely dependent on your skill set as a manager(in 53 reviews)

Reviews about "dentistry"

Return to all Reviews
  1. Featured Review

"So Grateful to work for Pacific Dental Services"

Current Employee - Dentist in Ventura, CA

I have been working at Pacific Dental Services part-time for more than 8 years

Pros

I was a 30 year private practice dentist when I moved to California and was hired by PDS. I have come to see soo many pros to this forward thinking company that I would never go back. to private practice. The support professionally is unrivaled. Exposure to new technology and training was so amazing Support by the company and my professional peers during medical challenge I went through was invaluable. Had I been in private practice I would have been in serious jeopardy on many levels. The management team and founder have developed an entity that describes how I see dentistry for the next generations of dentists and I feel fortunate to be a part of it

Cons

Not so many cons after 10 years . What I originally saw as cons, have become common sense practices and procedures that are necessary to move forward with this type of organization

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're doing, and that includes growing and changing and evolving

Pacific Dental Services2019-07-12

"Great Company! Great leadership and training! Great benefits!"

Current Employee - Dental Assistant in Boston, MA

I have been working at Pacific Dental Services full-time for less than a year

Pros

They provide all of the resources for you to succeed. Lots of training and support from regional and national team all the time. Everybody is a hard worker starting from the employees with "high tittles" which makes you realize we have to work as a team with no exception. Managers and regional mangers listen to your concerns and recognize the work you are doing for your office. Company has lots of charity donations, including building wells in Africa and pay us 16 hours of volunteer work a year, helping you to help others in need. Go on PDS website and read the "We Believe" which is our core. Our goal is to provide the best experience to every patient in every visit. Have been working in one of PDS offices for 3 months and loving it! I have been a Dental Assistant for over 9 years and never thought that I would still learn so much in dentistry with so much of excitement.

Cons

Overtime. Dental assistants have to be in the office 30-45 earlier and some times have shorter lunch break. But, for those who likes the extra money, this is actually not so bad.

Advice to Management

Keep up with the Team Work, and your team will never leave you!

Pacific Dental Services2019-07-22

"Ignorant Operations Managers"

Former Employee - Associate Dentist

I worked at Pacific Dental Services full-time for less than a year

Pros

My coworkers and OD were a pleasure to work with.

Cons

I have never felt so disrespected and discriminated against until I worked at PDS. We got a new egotistical operations manager who previously worked at a car rental place, worlds away from dentistry. He had the audacity to sit me down and tell me that I needed his PERMISSION to leave the office. He said that I had to tell him where I was going during my free time and he would be the judge of whether it was ok or not. I would understand if I was paid by the hour, but I’m not. I would have huge gaps in my schedule due to lack of patients. I told him that I did not want to just waste my time sitting in the cold break room while I wait for my patient to arrive HOURS later. I tried to compromise with this corporate goonie by explaining that if I’m needed for an emergency walk-in patient he could simply text me and I’ll be there before the X-rays are even taken because I’m normally just at the Target in the same shopping center as the office or in my car. Of course his ego was too large to compromise and he refused to let me leave the office without getting his permission first. He said that I could do OFFICE WORK when I’m not seeing patients. That is HIS job that he is paid for, not mine. Plus, everyone in the office leaves to run errands when there are no patients, yet only I was reprimanded for this and supposed to bow down to his ruling. I quit that very day. HR attempted to contact me regarding it, but gave me a phone number that had a full voicemail. I called several times and she NEVER picked up. I even emailed her to schedule a time to talk about it and she did not respond with a time. HR clearly wanted to create a facade that they care, but clearly don’t. Stay away from PDS if you don’t wish to be a slave to corporate goonies that know nothing about dentistry and only care about numbers.

Advice to Management

Hire people that know about dentistry to run DENTAL offices.

Pacific Dental Services2019-12-20

"Don't do it"

I worked at Pacific Dental Services full-time

Pros

cerec training free trip to california for training for 1 wk Benefits are ok

Cons

Everything else..forget your ethics here.. you will never make over that guarantee. Especially with insurances accepted. daily production goals to meet....a patient is an "opportunity". managers (office and regional) telling you how to tx plan and role play with you on how to "sell" dentistry. I DON'T SEE THEIR DENTAL DEGREE ON THE WALL?

Pacific Dental Services2018-12-27

"Operations Manager"

I have been working at Pacific Dental Services full-time

Pros

Great training program, really helps you to understand how to be successful.

Cons

Very focused on sales, felt like I was selling dentistry much of the time.

Pacific Dental Services2018-10-16
  6. "Dental Assistant"

I worked at Pacific Dental Services full-time

Pros

Good pay, benefits, nas room for growth.

Cons

It's coorporate dentistry and sometimes feels very sales driven.

Advice to Management

Put more emphasis on quality of care rather than sales.

Pacific Dental Services2018-09-22

"General Dentist"

Current Employee - General Dentist in Baton Rouge, LA

I have been working at Pacific Dental Services full-time for more than a year

Pros

I initially had reservations working for PDS due to the corporate reputation. However, I am so glad I did. PDS has exceeded every expectation I’ve had. As a dentist, I am solely able to focus on my dentistry. I do not have to worry about insurance, hiring/firing employees, marketing, etc. Before PDS, I worked in private practice. My work life balance has vastly improved since switching. Other pros include the amount of free C.E. at my disposable, which is usually very expensive. There is full benefits (medical, vision, 401k, etc) which is unheard of in private practice. I am so happy I took a chance with PDS because it has brought my career to the next level.

Cons

Occasionally open extended hours (7PM) and Saturdays. However, I worked these hours in private practice as well.

Pacific Dental Services2018-03-19

"Dentist"

Current Employee - Owner Dentist in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Pacific Dental Services full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Good overall income Control over your dentistry Technology Training

Cons

A company that is growing too fast and appears to be losing its heart in order to produce more revenue. Lack of qualified personelle Valued only for how much money you can generate

Advice to Management

Honestly listen to your dentists and Owner doctors. Management does actually apply all their own advice to their relationship with the dentists. There is a lack of transparency and a tendency to ignore the increased pressures placed on the owners that continues to increase pressure on Owner Dentists, without increasing their compensation.

Pacific Dental Services2018-02-03

"dental hygienist position"

Former Employee - Hygienist in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at Pacific Dental Services part-time for more than a year

Pros

just they took us to a training session and had a class in laser training.

Cons

the offices they offer are all about production. the locations compete with each other and the office I worked was was a complete chaos. The doctor was basically was only interested to make more and more. The manager had it and after several years of work quit and got a better position with better pay and less hours in another corporation. The new manager was basically clueless and HAD NO KNOWLEDGE ABOUT CHARTS OR EVEN BASIC knowledge about industry like root canals etc. They just bring people that have mostly no knowledge of dentistry and expect them to just produce . they put 4 quads of srp in one hours at times. Most is pushing un-necessary procedures on the public. As I have been a hygienist for more than 10 years I know the industry pretty well; they first promise you -you get bonus and want you to produce 2000 or more. and they say you will get this and that but end of month comes and you get $15, or even if you get any. BE VERY CAREFUL. they even say you get this and that benefit you have to be there more than 2 years to even get the 401 k the people in charge of departments whisper on phone!!!and seem like to push your concerns to the curb

Advice to Management

foremost you are in health industry treat it as such. you are responsible for people's well being at the end of the day then MONEY

Pacific Dental Services2018-02-09

"Good for new doctor be careful"

I worked at Pacific Dental Services part-time

Pros

Clean office new equipment no experience beeded

Cons

Poor management doc takes all the risks and corporate promotes pushing dentistry and medical history medications the best treatment for the patient is not emphasized. You work on patients for free

Advice to Management

Transparency and honesty

Pacific Dental Services2018-02-05