Pacific Dental Services "give back" Reviews | Glassdoor

Pacific Dental Services Employee Reviews about "give back"

Updated Nov 12, 2019

3.4
Pacific Dental Services CEO Stephen Thorne
Stephen Thorne
Pros
  • "I loved how I was able to work on a project that actual dentists could use in the field to positively impact their practice(in 45 reviews)

• "I have been a Dental Assistant for over 9 years and never thought that I would still learn so much in dentistry with so much of excitement(in 36 reviews)

Cons
  • "Management will constantly sit you down to give you lessons about dental treatment planning even though they aren't dentists(in 63 reviews)

• "You have to be cognizant of what it takes to create a good work life balance, but that's largely dependent on your skill set as a manager(in 52 reviews)

Reviews about "give back"

Return to all Reviews
  1. "Pacific Dental is Awesome!"

Current Contractor - Accountant in Henderson, NV

I have been working at Pacific Dental Services for less than a year

Pros

- I really enjoy coming in every day. - Management is great, willing to help with anything - No one is looking over you shoulder / no micro managers - Recruiting and hiring process is very easy and professional - Great people work here, environment is very positive - Company is known for its humanitarian efforts and giving back

Cons

None at the moment, everything has been really good.

Advice to Management

Keep on, keeping on.

Pacific Dental Services2019-11-12

"No Organization"

I have been working at Pacific Dental Services full-time for less than a year

Pros

A lot of Opportunities to give back

Cons

-No organization -High turnover -Upper management does not like the honest truth on how to fix things -They fire women with an opinion -No Communication -Nobody knows what the other is doing or if they do they don't care and don't consulting their colleuge and do what they want against another directors advice

Advice to Management

-Listen and fix problems -Play nicely together in the sandbox -Work together and delay a project a week and release it correctly then push it out then roll it back because you want it pushed out right now to the company.

Pacific Dental Services2018-08-03

"Benefits Coordinator"

Former Employee - Benefits Coordinator

I worked at Pacific Dental Services full-time for more than a year

Pros

As a dental corporation, they do offer part time off, health benefits, and 401ks. Private offices do not have these benefits. PDS has offices all across the US, so if you wanted to transfer it is an option. They also have options to give back to different charities, which is amazing.

Cons

Price gouging. Upselling tactics. They are extremely cheap and do everything they can not to give employees raises. They also will tell you they can see you on a management path, but not take steps to show you what that path is or to train you. No promotion from within, they will hire an outside person with no relevant experience. PDS understaffs and overworks their employees. The turnover is crazy high and... stressful for the people who remain.

Advice to Management

Invest in your team. Take some time to get to know your team's potential and how you can help them get to the next level into management. STOP BEING SO CHEAP WITH EMPLOYEES. You will not keep top talent if you look to cut their paycheck at every opportunity.

Pacific Dental Services2018-03-05

"Operations Manager"

Former Employee - Operations Manager in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at Pacific Dental Services full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Autonomy for managers in some regions, decent benefits, culture of giving back to community.

Cons

Regional Partners in CA are more concerned with driving profit, have lost sight of what got them into those positions. Too much favoritism, and passive aggressive behavior if they dislike a manager.

Advice to Management

Do the right thing, stick to the core values and mission Steve Thorne created many years ago. RP's should embody and exude these values. Your Regional Manager's will follow . Passive aggressive behavior is not the same as direct conversations.

Pacific Dental Services2018-01-18
  5. "Operations Manager"

Current Employee - Operations Manager in Baton Rouge, LA

I have been working at Pacific Dental Services full-time for less than a year

Pros

Structured, great values, management is great, and love that they give back to the community

Cons

Late hours, some weekends, marketing events can be tiring after working all week

Advice to Management

Stick to a schedule and stay in constant communication with your peers/managers.

Pacific Dental Services2017-12-03

"Growing Organization With Great Values and a Supportive Team"

Current Employee - Lead Generator in Irvine, CA

I have been working at Pacific Dental Services full-time for more than a year

Pros

In a nutshell- Supportive team, fun atmosphere, patient-focused, living out values and "we believe" statements in everyday business, professional and personal growth opportunities, and giving back to communities. TEAM- Specifically, within our team at our National Support Center, our leadership team has always made sure to recognize great performance, celebrate birthdays and special events, and provide support... when someone is going through a difficult time personally, by encouraging to take time off, sending flowers, and/or giving a card of encouragement, signed by everyone on the team. We work hard but laugh often. Furthermore, suggestions and recommendations on how to improve company and team culture, processes, and systems are requested by our leadership team, which makes the team feel like our opinion is valued and shows the organizations' focus to continually improve. VALUES- We start each day with our team huddle, reading a short story of success or words of encouragement, always ending with one of our "we believe" statements, and talking about how what we do each day impacts our dentists, patients, and team members. There is a constant focus on our vision and how we impact the business. It's not just something you read in orientation and never see again. DIVERSITY- I've read other reviews addressing diversity, which is very surprising to me, considering the very diverse culture we have at our National Support Center. Anyone who follows the social media accounts can see the diversity in the photos. GROWTH- Another huge advantage is the professional and personal growth opportunities. I have been promoted once myself, and have witnessed about a dozen other promotions within our team and other teams. There are great career paths at PDS and with the growth of the organization, it's not unlikely to see multiple promotions for someone. GIVING BACK- Lastly, PDS is really big into volunteering. They even offer paid time off to volunteer. During the recent hurricanes, our team members and executives came together and helped raise over $25,000 to help our team members in the gulf coast and their families get back on their feet. Some people even donated their time off to those affected team members. PDS also provides free dentistry every year to people across the US (and in other countries) that otherwise could not afford it, and we run fundraising campaigns each year to raise money to build wells in Africa to provide clean drinking water to people in need. How awesome is that?

Cons

Being that it is a growing organization, there are some kinks that still need to be ironed out with processes and systems to be more efficient. The good news, is the leadership and executive team recognizes this and is in process to make things better. Also, the two pieces of consistent feedback for improvement are benefits and communication. There has always been a disconnect with some communication between... departments, and from higher level management and team members. I have also seen an improvement with this in the 2 years that I have been here but there is still room for improvement.

Advice to Management

1) Continue to seek feedback from your team members to find out how to improve culture, systems, and processes. 2) Offer more options for medical benefits, and offer more time off.

Pacific Dental Services2017-11-02

"My Experience @ PDS"

Former Employee - Regional Marketing Assistant in Corona, CA

I worked at Pacific Dental Services full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Promotes giving back and volunteering in the communities. I met some great people there.

Cons

Leadership promotes based on who they like and favoritism rather than hard work and high work ethic. When unethical situations are reported to upper management, they turn their head if the person being reported is well liked by them. The sales pressure is so strong on the office teams that it pushes Doctors to diagnose treatment that is unethical. I have seen this with my own two eyes. In the end, the patient... loses.

Advice to Management

Please stop the blatant favoritism. You have hard working employees who give 150% everyday, promote them. When unethical situations are reported, do something about them. Do not promote individuals when it is well known they are involved in unethical relationships or numbers practices.

Pacific Dental Services2017-10-09

"It depends on what team and region you are a part of - people leave bad managers"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Irvine, CA

I worked at Pacific Dental Services full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

I held several roles while working at PDS at different locations so I had a mix of the good and the bad. Some of my managers were great. They shared their vision, were motivational, provided consistent feedback, were honest, they had your back, and had realistic expectations. Those managers made the teams positive/trusting/fun. The company is growing so there are opportunities for promotions (and transfers)... if you show results and are vocal about what you want- just be prepared to play more politics as you advance up the food chain. Lots of community service and giving back. PDS does give back to the community (local/international). They also allow their team members to have paid volunteer time.

Cons

Lots of politics and favoritism in management - if the "right" person doesn't like you, I have witnessed unfavored employees be pushed out. Bad managers and leaders who only care about data/profit/growth and forget about the people. PDS keeps a lot of data/metrics to measure business performance. Next time someone points out turnover, maybe those leaders that have bad turnover should look at themselves....... people leave bad managers. Not a lot of vacation time - Only 6 company holidays. I guess if you came from a retail environment that is considered good/normal but you are also trying to compete with other corporate companies.

Advice to Management

Stop overworking and burning talented people out. Staying "lean" is great to keep costs low but management needs to realize that they need to provide support for their employees in order for them to be great at their jobs...don't take away resources/people and then be surprised when things start breaking/falling apart. Star players are amazing but they are still human. Also, celebrate your people more. Even... though we still grew and remained profitable, we were told that we didn't hit our aggressive goals and management didn't really celebrate our wins.

Pacific Dental Services2017-09-21
  9. "Great opportunties!!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Irvine, CA

I have been working at Pacific Dental Services full-time for less than a year

Pros

Lots of growth available and constant learning. The company is always giving back.

Cons

No cons as of now.

Pacific Dental Services2017-09-08

"Not bad but not amazing either"

Current Employee - Benefits Coordinator

I have been working at Pacific Dental Services full-time for less than a year

Pros

Good benefits and lots of opportunities to give back to the community. There are wonderful people who are within the company and are very passionate about their jobs.

Cons

Some management is lazy and have no idea how things are supposed to be run half the time. This is also a more Christian leaning company and they like to hide that their offices are corporate run.

Pacific Dental Services2017-08-02