Pacific Dental Services "give back" Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated Nov 12, 2019

3.4
Pacific Dental Services President Stephen Thorne
Stephen Thorne

"Great org who invests in their employees"

Current Employee - Operations Manager in Baton Rouge, LA

I have been working at Pacific Dental Services full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Great company who develops their employees. They are continually investing in training and providing you with tools to do your job. Job is very challenging but plenty of support is provided. You have to be the person who knows how to manage the MANY tools provided to you. Don't expect the support to do your job for you. They empower you to treat the office as it's your own. Love the community service piece of the company. They are always looking for ways to give back to their local communities. Fast growing company who has plenty of growth opportunity. Gulf Coast region is awesome. Michael Hurley is an effective passionate leader.

Cons

Can be long hours at times. Company is growing fast so IT infrastructure lately has been weak but I know they are working on it.

Advice to Management

Continue doing what you are doing.

Pacific Dental Services2017-05-14

"A Great Company To Be A Part Of"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Irvine, CA

I have been working at Pacific Dental Services full-time for more than a year

Pros

I've worked for PDS for 2 years, and I still look forward to coming to work everyday! Everyone is always so welcoming and enjoyable to be around. There is always room for growth and development, no matter what position you hold. Managers are helpful, encouraging and supportive of their teams. We offer continuing education to our Hygienists and Doctors which I think is really cool! There's also a lot of opportunity to give back to the community within the company which I think is really special as well.

Cons

The only con I can think of would be our current parking situation in Irvine (although it's currently in the process of being corrected right now).

Advice to Management

Continue to help, encourage and support your team.

Pacific Dental Services2017-02-14
  3. "Great company to work for"

I have been working at Pacific Dental Services full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

I work at the Support Center, and the culture is very open and collaborative. The only people who have offices with doors are our legal team and VPs/Sr. VPs. They advertise promoting from within, which I have experience firsthand being promoted twice. They give back to the community, have great managers, and friendly employees.Great place to grow your career.

Cons

benefits could be a better (vacation, medical)

Advice to Management

Continue to invest time to train and challenge employees to attain talent

Pacific Dental Services2017-02-17

"Could have been great and then they got greedy"

Current Employee - Operations Manager

I have been working at Pacific Dental Services full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

The model works most of the time. There are nice people you get to work with in the office. You get to also give back with some efforts. You can learn a lot about dentistry

Cons

There is no room for advancement or growth. Upper management will tell you that you are doing a good job and if you keep doing well you will move up with the company or make more money, but those promises never happen. They will lie to you when hiring You and even during your annual reviews. They cut budgets last minute and cut payroll from the people who need the money and hours most. There are a lot of upper management roles that do not do much of anything and for the positions that are needed they say they do not have the money to add them.

Advice to Management

If people put in more work then pay attention to them and reward them for a job well done. Start developing your people and promoting from within Also Thorne's uninformed political comments don't look very good when speaking to his company. He could spend more time learning about what his employees and the supported docs do everyday.

Pacific Dental Services2016-10-07

"Culture to help others is good - internal culture is bad"

I worked at Pacific Dental Services full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Great programs to help communities and those in need. Plenty of opportunities to help with food banks, playground building, dental clinics and giving back.

Cons

Bad communication and internal culture. So many changes in systems and structures that as soon as you get used to one they change to another.

Advice to Management

Don't say one thing and then do another. If culture is to grow internally, it should be across entire organization and not state to state or region to region.

Pacific Dental Services2016-09-14

"Overall nice place to work but no work/life balance and the health insurance is terrible"

Current Employee - Benefits Coordinator in Irvine, CA

I have been working at Pacific Dental Services full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Giving back on serve day, nice bonus if we reach our monthly goal. Nice people to work with if you get a good office

Cons

No work life balance, OM's are pressured by RMs to produce. All they care about is production. Front office feels pressured to fill the schedules. If the schedule falls apart management and owner Doctor get upset with you. Also our health insurance through BCBS is terrible. You'd think a dental company would have better coverage.

Advice to Management

Make sure Office managers treat their employees well. Not having a lunch and staying late every day gets really annoying. We all would like to get off on time and be with our families. Production isn't everything. If you focus on treating patients well, your numbers will be good.

Pacific Dental Services2016-08-22

"Love my Company"

Current Employee - Operations Manager in Las Vegas, NV

I have been working at Pacific Dental Services full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

I love the company I work for! They offer so much room for growth that I see myself here till i retire. It's more than a job it's a career. Constant training to keep everyone updated on the new and improved technologies and everything dental. They give back to the community with many events they sponsor i.e.: We Serve Day, Braveheart, Mobile Dental Clinic. Great bonus system and they truly give back to the employees in Christmas parties, XP event, and appreciation days.

Cons

Really only con is that our medical insurance has such a high deductible you'd think with company with so many employees they'd be able to get a pretty good rate for better insurance.

Advice to Management

Keep investing in your employees

Pacific Dental Services2016-03-20

"Pros and Cons"

I worked at Pacific Dental Services full-time

Pros

corporate culture designed around patient and giving back

Cons

worked excessive hours, poor upper management

Advice to Management

get new management

Pacific Dental Services2016-04-12
  9. "Work here if you want to be the best"

Former Employee - Operations Manager in Denver, CO

I worked at Pacific Dental Services full-time

Pros

Well trained, they invest a lot of time and effort into your development. Tons of support from senior management. Great camaraderie. Partnering with a great Owner Doctor. Giving back to the community. Great values/beliefs.

Cons

Dealing with slimy insurance companies. Explaining benefit coverage to patients.

Advice to Management

Keep investing in your employees.

Pacific Dental Services2016-02-03
  10. "Dentist"

General Dentist in League City, TX

I have been working at Pacific Dental Services

Pros

In my 10 years of practice I have worked with 2 other very large Dental Service Organizations. My 2 years experience as a PDS supported clinician have been extraordinary compared to the other 2 DSOs. Not only is PDS at the forefront with modern technology but it does an amazing job in supporting its doctors with ongoing continuing education to support that technology. I received over 70 hours of free CE in my first year with PDS and learned more in that time than I did in my first 8 years practicing. Today, thanks to the support I have received from PDS, I have become a very successful practice owner and a very well rounded clinician practicing in a state of the art facility where I am able to offer the best dentistry possible to each and every patient. One of my favorite things about PDS is the Pacific Dental Services Foundation. The foundation provides a platform for clinicians like me to give back in ways I could have never imagined. Last year I had the amazing opportunity to travel to Ethiopia for a week not only to treat patients in need but, also to teach Ethiopian dental students to become better clinicians. I would recommend a career with PDS to any one of my friends and family or to anyone looking for an exceptional career in the dental field.

Cons

I honestly have no cons. I am extremely happy with PDS.

Pacific Dental Services2016-01-22