Pacific Gas and Electric Reviews | Glassdoor

Rating Trends Rating Trends
Pacific Gas and Electric CEO & President Geisha Williams
Geisha Williams

Cons

"Openness encouraged, yet taken advantage of"

Current Employee - IT Business Analyst in San Ramon, CA
    Current Employee - IT Business Analyst in San Ramon, CA

I have been working at Pacific Gas and Electric full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Making a better California: You are involved in helping make the PG&E territory a safer place

Cons

Regimented and silo'd work life

2. "PGE is not for everyone"

Current Employee - Process Safety Engineer in San Ramon, CA
    Current Employee - Process Safety Engineer in San Ramon, CA

I have been working at Pacific Gas and Electric full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Work location is ok. staffs are friendly

Cons

On the gas side of the business, PGE is not a likeable company due to its management. if you are considering a job there, you need to assess how it fits your values. PGE only makes revenue by the rate of return on project. PGE is corned by the loss of customers due to renewable energy and the lack of organic growth forcing PGE to increase project to maintain profit. They are one of most expensive utilities in america already, with aged system.

Advice to Management

Re-think your management strategy.

3. "Project Manager"

Current Employee - Project Manager in San Ramon, CA
    Current Employee - Project Manager in San Ramon, CA

I have been working at Pacific Gas and Electric full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great Benefits and work life balance

Cons

The work culture is terrible. There is low productivity and lack of innovation.

Advice to Management

Change the culture to keep the talent and energy

4. "IT Analyst"

Current Contractor - Anonymous Contractor in San Francisco, CA
    Current Contractor - Anonymous Contractor in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Pacific Gas and Electric as a contractor (More than 3 years)

Pros

Employees are good people who want to improve things.

Cons

Management is terrible. Many have little to no leadership skills, little to no constructive communication, many have little actual knowledge of the department functions that they lead.
    The technology and software development/project methodology is not only antiquated, it's been considered bad practice for over a decade. Do not work here if you want to have a career in IT outside of utilities or other industries stuck in the 20th century.

Advice to Management

Collapse some of the layers, there is a lot of dead weight in the management pool. Stop promoting based on longevity and start promoting on skills. Some department managers have created very hostile work environments. When you get complaints about management and work environments, take action instead of ignoring the problem or retaliating against your employees.

"Great Opportunities - false hope"

Current Employee - Senior Program Manager in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Program Manager in San Francisco, CA

Pros

Interesting and challenging positions with opportunity to make a significant contribution.

Cons

Most positions do not get filled. Career site is difficult to navigate. Difficult to connect. Screen freezes and session lost mid-session.

Advice to Management

Value candidate with experience and wisdom. Stop rejecting candidates based on age. Don't post positions you have no intention of filling

"Exactly as you would imagine"

Current Employee - Drone in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Drone in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Pacific Gas and Electric full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

None - an unnecessarily difficult place to ply your craft

Cons

Take 30 seconds; imagine working at PG&E. Really think about it what it would be like, the people, the bureaucracy, the politics. You are correct, that is exactly what it is like.

Advice to Management

Fire yourself, and your peers.

7. "IT business analyst"

Current Employee - IT Individual Contributor in San Ramon, CA
    Current Employee - IT Individual Contributor in San Ramon, CA

I have been working at Pacific Gas and Electric full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

You can work hard and get some I repeat some opportunities. It is just an okay place to work

Cons

Management is not as educated as other ITgroups I was at. Supervisors and some "managers" are not required to have a college degree I have never heard of this in an IT shop. As a result, management is very weak

"Awful work/life balance, and terrible middle and upper managers."

Current Employee - Analyst in San Ramon, CA
    Current Employee - Analyst in San Ramon, CA

I have been working at Pacific Gas and Electric full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Salary, benefits and a family (in that order) are keeping me from becoming a contractor somewhere else.

Cons

This is not true for all of PG&E, but in parts of IT, they treat their employees like second class citizens. In fact, it's better to be a contractor in my organization.

Poor planning by managers are reflected in all of the last minute and end of year projects. Oct - Dec. has become the most unhappiest time of the year especially for employees who're forced to work OT w/o any addt'l compensation.

And forget about complaining, if there's a 360 review process, it's trash. The supervisor/middle managers get to decide who can submit a review about them. HR is useless since they don't seem to have the power to reprimand, and forget upper management, they don't care since they were all consultants and career managers who're only interested in scoring quick wins on their quick ascension to the top.

Advice to Management

This is an advice to the CEO/CIO. If you're interested in improving the quality of your product offerings and contribute to happy/productive employees, do the following:

1) please vet the candidates for the Director positions carefully. Ex consultants and career managers, do not make good managers. And how is it possible that someone gets to be promoted twice w/in less than a year and become a Senior Director. Good directors beget good managers/supervisors which would then beget satisfied and content employees.

2) You should also hire Directors and VPs who're interested in staying w/ the company for over 5 years. W/in the last 4 years, I've seen several new Senior Directors/VPs who left to pursue even higher positions.

3) To fix the issues w/ IT, you have to talk to the employees. Hiring a consulting group and then following their suggestions by hiring more contractors and consultants will never work. Our issues are self inflicted. The employees are not motivated and feel defeated because management all the way from the supervisor to the director level do not have their best interest in mind. For that matter, they don't have PG&E's best interest in mind either.

"H/R"

Current Employee - Human Resources in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Human Resources in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Pacific Gas and Electric full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Short Commute is the best I can come up with for the required 5 words....

Cons

Just about everything else - terrible mid-management with no leadership skills. Feels like a group of "Stepford" robots who work out of fear. Everyone is graded on a curve, which makes your co-workers do everything they can to look good, including taking each other down. A real negative experience.

Advice to Management

You need to take advice from others who have come from successful companies before they leave. The Directors of the groups generally shut this down, so it is a challenge to reach down to some fresh ideas, Leadership skills are lacking in H/R. People manage up well, but hide the dysfunction.

"Discriminates against Disabled Combat Vets"

Current Employee - Pre Apprentice Lineman in Stockton, CA
    Current Employee - Pre Apprentice Lineman in Stockton, CA

I have been working at Pacific Gas and Electric full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I interviewed twice (a year apart) and got offered a pre-apprentice lineman job. I am overly qualified for this entry level position. NLC grad, Class A license, NCCCO fix sswing cab. Army combay Vet heavy equipment operator. Grounds an ibew 3 months experience doing cut and kick in the distribution portion for pge on their property.
    Was currently making the equivalent of 120k+ a year as a crane operator.s. Had some speeding tickets, and explained it was a tough adjustment coming back home from my tour over seas, which was gnarly.

Cons

They told me "You're just not looking as competitive". I saw 18-20 year old kids lacking all but NLC, barely any experience, and brown skin getting the job. Safety first. How about working with a Disabled combat Veteran first? How about giving me an opportunity that I had been working towards for over 3 years. I was working 60 hours a week and on my one day off I was driving 400+ miles to see my kids on Sunday, every Sunday. I don't enjoy being on the road like that it made me feel paranoid and vulnerable do to how routine it was, I was living in a rough part of Oakland and felt like i was being watched and followed. Got speeding tickets.

Advice to Management

After Denying a Disabled Combat Veteran an opportunity to work for your company. And work hard! I showed up to work contracting for you with poison oak and sweat hard making all the Lineman look lazy.. Email him back explaining a little better why you cannot hire him? I understand that your company is all about looking good to the public and turning a profit because it is an investor owned Utility. After writing detailed and very humble letters to the head representatives of multiple positions (officers) asking for an opportunity to come and sweep floors for 6 months before taking me into the apprenticeship, please return that persons email.

Showing 33 of 1,036 reviews