Pacific Gas and Electric Reviews | Glassdoor

Pacific Gas and Electric CEO & President Geisha Williams
Geisha Williams

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Cons

"Rapidly descending into madness"

I have been working at Pacific Gas and Electric full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Good people. Meaningful work. Good benefits.

Cons

Downsizing. Burn out. Clueless leadership. Too many leaders and not enough people doing actual work. demoralized staff in many departments. Energy is low.

Advice to Management

Get it together! Seriously! Stop lying to people about doing "less with less" when it is the same old doing "more with less." GET IT TOGETHER!

2. "Analyst"

I have been working at Pacific Gas and Electric full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Safety is the priority in the company

Cons

No work life balance. Telecommute is only work for certain teams or departments

3. "Gas QC Engineer"

Pros

Top energy company in CA

Cons

Going through a freeze and people getting laid off

"Cuts all around, no real incentive to attract or retain talent"

I have been working at Pacific Gas and Electric full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Good long-term benefits such as pension, 401(k), and decent health/dental plans. Work/life balance is pretty decent, depending on your supervisor or manager. Depending on your team's needs, the company allows for alternative work schedules (9 days/80 hours, 4 days/ 10 hours)-- once you switch to one of these schedules, you wonder how you survived a 9-5 standard schedule.

Cons

Red tape all around, morale is at an all-time low with lack of employee engagement, cuts and/or major hurdles for team-building events and lingering fear of headcount reduction, leading to fear of merit and bonus cuts.
    The culture of each team differs in each department or organization, and you really don't know what kind of culture you'll land in until after the fact. New departments with younger teams are more in line with the startup/tech culture where hours are flexible, teams practice Agile methodology, and the team environment is loud, but entertaining (which can lead to distractions). However, most of PG&E is still extremely corporate and the ability to take risks is frowned upon. It makes sense since the company is dealing with sensitive data and explosive commodities, but the time it takes to implement change in the company is ridiculous.

The company struggles to recruit talent from top-tier schools because there is no short-term realized incentive. In fact, most college graduates are likely to pass over PG&E as there is a stigma that this is an old company stuck in old corporate practices, which for the most part is true.

Lack of communication within the company is a huge issue. You can have multiple departments working on projects that are trying to achieve the same goal.

Advice to Management

From the CEO top down, there needs to be a better sense of transparency. Every speech from the leaders during all All-Hands feels SO rehearsed and fake.

There needs to be a focus on keeping your employees happy. With all these cuts, you're encouraging your new talent to look elsewhere. It's hard enough to attract talent, so you're making the wrong move by reducing or cutting funding for employee events, and making employers jump through hurdles to get approval for basic expenses.

I'm writing this on Glassdoor in hopes of major changes, because any internal employee probably feels that their feedback is greatly dismissed whenever we have open discussions, or that the feedback never reaches to their intended target audience.

"Look elsewehere if you want opportunities"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Pacific Gas and Electric full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

There are wonderful people at this company. It is like a family in some very good ways. Leadership is forward thinking and looking to continously improve in every way.

Cons

Highly political. Ive seen blatant nepotism and quid pro quo deals from high level mangement. Everything is run by the "good old boy" network, with females sprinkled in only in a few positions. Women are still simply not seen as fitting in.

Advice to Management

Stop promoting your buddies and start cultivating the competent, hard workers readily available in your company.

"Always changing with unclear goals. Too much red tape to get anything accomplished with minimal spending."

Pros

Work is always challenging as a gas crew foreman. I love working outside and making sure the customer is please with the work my crew performs. I take pride in working safely and being able to accomplish a tremendous amount of work, when given the green light.

Cons

Safety and customer commitment are preached until you are blue in the face, but only when meeting a "metric". The paperwork in this company is beyond outrageous. Too many inexperienced supervisors in charge of critical operations making poor decisions. More supervisors than the company know what to do with.

Advice to Management

We need to return to core values. Customer safety, commitment, and satisfaction should be paramount. Employee salaries and benefits should match our growing economy without constant take aways. Only then, will we become the number 1 utility in the nation.

"Company that has lost sight of its purpose and vision as a Utility"

I have been working at Pacific Gas and Electric full-time

Pros

Dedicated employees and good benefits

Cons

Limited delegation of authority with a high level of micro management results in slow decision making; reporting to senior management is consuming too many valuable resources and time with little value add to the end customer

Advice to Management

Empower employees to make decisions and remove unnecessary red tape; limit unecessary upward status reporting and refocus resources to take action to address issues instead of continuously generating presentations to discuss them

8. "project management Analyst"

Current Employee - IT Project Coordinator
    Current Employee - IT Project Coordinator

I have been working at Pacific Gas and Electric full-time

Pros

Job Security is good but hard env. for smart people

Cons

low level learning and not many opportunities for young talents.

Advice to Management

give opportunities to young talents

9. "Senior Estimator"

Current Employee - Senior Estimator
    Current Employee - Senior Estimator

I have been working at Pacific Gas and Electric full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Great pay for the lack of education you need to get this gig. Retirement is very competitive, medical, dental, opt.. Union is strong for the most part, could be improved but could be a lot worse.

Cons

They just hire one inexperienced supervisor after another. You get a strong sense that most people are just here for the pay, and there is very low job satisfaction. I definitely wouldn't tell someone to not take the job if they needed the money, but if you can do something else, DO IT! Go somewhere where you can take some pride in the work you do. You are just a number here.

Advice to Management

Go back to coaching little league you college football rejects! Ha! Hire competent people who know the job inside and out, and let them lead.

"Lack of clarity about our shared future"

Current Employee - Manager in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Manager in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Pacific Gas and Electric full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

The company leadership has given it the college try to get out in front of announcing that Diablo Canyon Power Plant will not pursue relicensing.

Cons

Senior leaders have placed way too much emphasis on the impending excellence plan without providing anything besides a limited promise on compensation if you stay for defined periods of time. While the intent is appreciated (incent me to stay longer), there appears to be no intent on providing other incentives including employee development (described as a far off objective) and engagement.

Advice to Management

Include your supervisors and managers as players in leading this change. Up to now, I (a manager) have been relegated to getting my information along with the rest of the plant personnel.
    Provide a better game plan for the next 4-7 years, right now it feels like all I'm being asked is to push the "I Believe" button. That's not enough. Morale is starting to degrade.

Showing 56 of 1,058 reviews