Pacific Gas and Electric Reviews | Glassdoor

Pacific Gas and Electric CEO & President Geisha Williams
Geisha Williams

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Cons

"PG&E IT - Former Leader's perspective"

I worked at Pacific Gas and Electric full-time

Pros

Longevity. you can stay there forever if you are not management. Good pay and benefits.

Cons

IT Leadership is horrible and politically driven. Recent layoffs and future eminent ones are not making it a good case to work there.

Advice to Management

Concentrate on quality of work instead of buzz words in the industry. Why are you putting so much money into Digital Catalyst when you are not in a competitive environment like Nordstrom's or Macy's? Rather you spend millions on applications for union workers that hate technology to start with and would rather be left alone. Let's put it in simple terms...THERE ARE NO HARD BENEFITS FOR THAT WORK!!!

"Horrible place for anyone with a degree in anything..."

Former Employee - Electric Ops Manager in San Ramon, CA
    Former Employee - Electric Ops Manager in San Ramon, CA

I worked at Pacific Gas and Electric full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Really strong union that prevents even the best ideas from happening (pro and con).

Cons

Horrible for anyone who wants to be judged by their merits versus how long one has been there. PG&E literally has Sr. Directors with high school diplomas running billion dollar portfolios, who were promoted just because they were the last man standing, and I do emphasize "man". And the company wonders why they have so many issues from record keeping to fires that kill dozens at a time.

Advice to Management

How about promoting people on something other than how they look (race/gender) and how long they've been there (20+ years) and start going with people who are qualified to do the complex work necessary to prevent the entire territory from burning down or blowing up! Just a thought...

"Think twice, it's not always greener on the other side"

Former Employee - Senior Product Manager in Stockton, CA
    Former Employee - Senior Product Manager in Stockton, CA

I worked at Pacific Gas and Electric full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Great place to work as a manager or above
    No matter the issues we face, this company will always be profitable.
    Brown nose means a future for you in this company.

Cons

Politics are a big issue here, you have to constantly have a brown nose to move up in this company.
    Salary is a joke. They overwork you and belittle every chance they get. Pay raises are 1 to 2 % if you are lucky but if you are management, well then you would be very happy.
    Bonuses are given but if you aren't leadership, it's not really anything to sing about. Managers bonuses are half of an employees pay.
    Leadership doesn't think twice about firing people if it comes to keeping their pay while saving money. Instead of finding ways of reducing costs, their fast approach is fire first think later. They ha e fired hundreds of people every year yet get pay raises equivlant to the savings they gained from it.
    Overworked! Stress is the number issue at this company. Even with evidence that their direction in the company is causing problems, their main objective is cost savings while deep pockets.
    Supervisor and managers have no backbone to fight for their employees. They are too scared to bring up legitimate issues to leadership.
    We are encouraged to keep our mouth shut it risk getting fired.

Advice to Management

Replace the current leadership with peoplethat have a a vision for the future. The problem with current management is that they have no idea how to move this company to be number 1. Their mindset is money rather then employee safety, work safety, company moral, and various other options that's boost the company into the new age.
    Our current management just do not have that idea of how to lead.

4. "not a good company to work for"

I worked at Pacific Gas and Electric full-time

Pros

good benefits, lots of events, good work/life balance

Cons

favoritism/closed to new ideas. If you want to become un-hirable by other companies you can work for this company.

Advice to Management

This company needs rapid change otherwise its not gonna stay in 10yrs.

"Very political environment, was bored out of my mind"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Pacific Gas and Electric full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

pension, benefits, San Francisco office on Beale is easy to get to as it's near public transportation.
    It's a collaborative environment.

Cons

PG&E is a very political environment, it's more about making the directors and the higher ups look good, not yourself. If you speak up or think deep thoughts, you'll get in trouble. Its very hierarchical, managers want followers, not independent thinkers.
    It's not a place for innovation if you are working on technology. Everything is dated, development is over the wall and often outsourced. Contractors are often in key decision making jobs, leaving permanent employers not making key decisions.

PG&E likes to hire extremely senior people but then watch their minds go because the extremely senior people aren't using their brains and are managing vendors, or doing junior work to stay busy.

If you are a designer or developer, anything interesting is outsourced to contractors and outside vendors. The goal is out outsource IT to TCS, and layoff permanent IT folks to save money on pensions and benefits.

Offices are very traditional, managers want you to stay in your cubes, not move around.
    Software projects are more about teamwork and collaboration but at a political level. It's far less about execution. What ends up happening is garbage is launched from a software perspective.
    PG&E corporate is not a diverse environment. Basically they want people to not think and just follow.

Advice to Management

Hire people for their brains and let them use their brains. Don't outsource all the interesting problems to outside vendors.
    Don't let contractors and directors abuse internal permanent employees verbally or mentally.
    Make an investment in employees, don't feign making an investment and then say 'no'.

"Quickly becoming a company that is hated by it's employees and the public."

Current Employee - Gas Crew Leader
    Current Employee - Gas Crew Leader

I have been working at Pacific Gas and Electric full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Challenging work, never a dull moment in my line of work. Problem is I am told to do more with less and I'm not getting any younger, with hardly any new hires to fill the gaps. I get a decent wage, but benefits are slowly shrinking. If you like overtime, it's thrown on your lap at the worst times of the year due to bad planning and management. Union job, with hardly any union backup.

Cons

I don't know where to begin. They hire people in the wrong positions that haven't got a clue of the work we do. Seems like if you have an east coast accent, you're hired even if you're clueless and unsafe. They have cut back on almost every perk, all the while upper management bonuses have never been larger. I barely have tools to do my job in the Gas dept. If there were an earthquake, we are screwed due to lack of personel and tools. The service yards are falling apart. Too much red tape to do anything productive. Drowning in paperwork...Yes paperwork not computer. 20 years behind in almost everything. In my eyes, we are far from "The leading utility company"

Advice to Management

Stop wasting so much money on how to save money. This company is being torn apart from the inside due to morale and the upper management "money grab". We have so many employees that can run the company more efficiently if given proper compensation without the constant threat of loosing their jobs. Wake up! In the end, we all loose.

"Horrible place to work, very political/toxic work environment. It's all about who you know."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Pacific Gas and Electric full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Comparable benefits, but all the good benefit perks are getting chipped away every year for the general employee pool.

Cons

Every year there's going to be work force reductions, not sure how upper management thinks morale should be high. Employee engagement teams are told to improve morale using band aid solutions of non company sponsored team lunches and happy hour while not addressing the heart of the issue.

Advice to Management

Please stop speaking out both sides of your mouth. If being affordable is really the direction for the company, at least set the example. Stop spending money remodeling the Sr officer floor, stocking only the refrigerator on your floor with a plethora of soda, juices, sparking water, etc while everyone else can barely get coffee, and getting catered lunches most days of the week.

"IT: Outsourcing is the plan"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Ramon, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Ramon, CA

I worked at Pacific Gas and Electric full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Benefits, pension...some more words for 5 words minimum requirement.

Cons

Outsourced: Have to train people replacing you; and those people will evaluate if you are doing a good job at knowledge transfer or not. If not, then you won't get your severance package.
    Bad Management: Management more concerned about images and politics rather than common sense and doing what needs to be done.

"too fear based"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Pacific Gas and Electric full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great teammates and clear community purpose (safely providing energy)

Cons

Not safe to speak up in HR (which should be the role model)
    More about who you know not what you know
    No career path, unless you come in from finance

Advice to Management

Value those with functional expertise more than you are now
    People with functional experience know where to cut back without quality/compliance risks

"IT HR recruiters are I'll informed and not friendly"

Current Employee - Sr IT Analyst in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Sr IT Analyst in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Pacific Gas and Electric full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Good company with alot of great people to work with. Great opportunities to learn many facets if the industry.

Cons

New HR recruiters do not seem to know the process, the different job categories or even much about the job they are recruiting for. This recruiter made 6 errors about job and salary. I think these recruiters are a poor reflection on PGE. This company could do a better job if they could be trained about the recruitment process and coached on behavior.

Advice to Management

Listen to the feedback of new employees and don't be fooled by the recruiter's LinkedIn page. Train tem and coach them and make sure these are the folks you want to represent the company.

Showing 91 of 1,146 reviews