Pacific Gas and Electric Reviews | Glassdoor

Sort: PopularRatingDate

"Senior Analyst"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Pacific Gas and Electric full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Focus on Safety. Good 401K plan.

Cons

Many Favoritism in the department and in each team. Micromanagement. Manager like to do row check everyday. IT has many defects and not enough people to handle the problem. Not willing to listen and change.

Advice to Management

Not focus in employee growth or development, but nip picking minor problems.

"Outsourcing and Poor management"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Ramon, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Ramon, CA

I have been working at Pacific Gas and Electric full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Most employees and supervisors runs their own business or second jobs as Outsourced vendors takes care of everything. Good job with money and no works. The outsourced employees and managers really work hard.

Cons

Middle level managers does not have any management skills, they treat employee as slave not as IT professional. They are have their own side business that they run in the office.

Advice to Management

Replace middle level management with good managers and supervisors.

"After 17 years I'm absolutely disgusted."

Former Employee - Journeyman Lineman in Auburn, CA
    Former Employee - Journeyman Lineman in Auburn, CA

I worked at Pacific Gas and Electric full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Great pay,ok bennies.good time off work.

Cons

Management sucks.upper management brought in young ,so called supervisors and ducked it all up .

Advice to Management

Get new people. People with experience. I wonder if upper abovementioned what really happened to me .the company blacked balled me for what reason ???

"bureaucracy, politically driven, non-educated engineers, miserable management"

I worked at Pacific Gas and Electric full-time

Pros

Good benefits for its own employees.

Cons

Almost everything else:
    1) Engineers are not educated and they do not even being trained. An engineer can be in PG&E for 10 years and be a project engineer and can be missing the fundamentals and basics of engineering practices.
    2) Management has no idea what takes place in the project whatsoever. They like to carry the big name and do absolutely nothing.

"Don't take rotational opportunities to help grow in the company"

I worked at Pacific Gas and Electric full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

the benefits and a few of the people

Cons

if you trust someone don't, they are only out for themselves. The company only looks out for itself legally too. And you cannot trust to tell leadership when unethical things are happening, it is you that becomes the problem

Advice to Management

if you want internal people to become leaders you should set up a better system so when their temp assignment is over they aren't just let go. you lose strong performers and keep bad managers that way. systems are set up so bad managers have all the power and there are no checks and balances. Look at your policies and procedures.

"Principal"

I have been working at Pacific Gas and Electric full-time

Pros

Great location to find another job if you work downtown. Great places to each lunch as well. Wish I could say something about the company that I liked...

Cons

Career killer if you are young (30's), smart, ambitious or brown. This is a union minded place. I would totally recommend this for anyone who wants to join a union though (seriously). But not for anyone in one of the support functions. You literally will end up working for someone you are smarter than just because they've been there for 30 years.

"Openness encouraged, yet taken advantage of"

Current Employee - IT Business Analyst in San Ramon, CA
    Current Employee - IT Business Analyst in San Ramon, CA

I have been working at Pacific Gas and Electric full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Making a better California: You are involved in helping make the PG&E territory a safer place

Cons

Regimented and silo'd work life

"PGE is not for everyone"

Current Employee - Process Safety Engineer in San Ramon, CA
    Current Employee - Process Safety Engineer in San Ramon, CA

I have been working at Pacific Gas and Electric full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Work location is ok. staffs are friendly

Cons

On the gas side of the business, PGE is not a likeable company due to its management. if you are considering a job there, you need to assess how it fits your values. PGE only makes revenue by the rate of return on project. PGE is corned by the loss of customers due to renewable energy and the lack of organic growth forcing PGE to increase project to maintain profit. They are one of most expensive utilities in america already, with aged system.

Advice to Management

Re-think your management strategy.

9. "Stay Away"

I worked at Pacific Gas and Electric full-time

Pros

Wages and benefits are good.

Cons

Dangerous company, no real concern about public safety. Claims of safety are a lip service to the public. Constant battle between company and employees. People work here for the money, some of them work hard, some hardly work at all. It's an embarrassment. I came from another utility and I regretted leaving as soon as I got in the field.

Advice to Management

Too top heavy and disconnected. Seek advice from other utilities that are actually safe and productive.

"Excellent pay but very poor work life balance and backstabbing management chain"

Former Employee - Anonymous in Sacramento, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous in Sacramento, CA

I worked at Pacific Gas and Electric full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Pay and benefits are excellent, great and skilled people in the technical trades. Always room for promotional development and frequent training.

Cons

Never trust anyone, be careful of the snakes. Terrible management relationships for the workers. Managers are always out to create scapegoats to make themselves look good. Unless you have 20 years the union or anyone else will not support or help you in any way.

Advice to Management

Engage with your workforce proactively and stop backstabbing others to satisfy upper management.

Showing 90 of 1,133 reviews