Pacific Gas and Electric Reviews | Glassdoor

Sort: PopularRatingDate

"too fear based"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Pacific Gas and Electric full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great teammates and clear community purpose (safely providing energy)

Cons

Not safe to speak up in HR (which should be the role model)
    More about who you know not what you know
    No career path, unless you come in from finance

Advice to Management

Value those with functional expertise more than you are now
    People with functional experience know where to cut back without quality/compliance risks

"Going through Downsizing"

I have been working at Pacific Gas and Electric full-time

Pros

Good pay and great benefits .

Cons

The company has recently had a round of layoffs and morale for office employees is very low.

"Good place to work, hard place to earn a comfortable living."

Current Employee - Safety Manager in Oakland, CA
    Current Employee - Safety Manager in Oakland, CA

I have been working at Pacific Gas and Electric full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Equipment is well maintained. No expense is spared for safety.

Cons

Its too expensive to live in the Bay area and the traffic is getting worse. Affordability efforts have cheapened the look and feel of the operation.

Advice to Management

we can't do more with less

"Not in a good place."

Former Employee - Principal Business Analyst in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Principal Business Analyst in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Pacific Gas and Electric full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

-The people you work with are great and one of the reasons why I stayed as long as I did. There's alot of smart and passionate people there with alot of years of experience. For people that are new to the industry it's a great opportunity to learn from experts. For the most part people have no problem sharing their knowledge with you, all it takes is a coffee or lunch every now and then.
    -Easily accessible location from East Bay... Peninsula side not so much.

Cons

-Out of touch. Their business will continue to shrink because of all the CCA's and renewables eating into their market share. Eventually it will get to the point where all they'll do is manage transmission lines but even then they're not doing the best job or innovating in that field.
    -Poor job security. Many of the staff are being outsourced, they've started with IT but will expand to other business groups.
    -Poor management. It's kind of like a locker room vibe, you either fit in or get stomped out. If you try to rock the boat they'll find a way to get rid of you or make your life miserable.
    -They try to give off the impression that you can file grievances about work place issues openly without persecution but that's kind of false which is evident in the calibration meetings. I participated in one when my manager was out of the office and was shocked to see that it's essentially each manager bashing his/her own team members and everyone else just sitting there nodding in agreement or adding their own negative comments. The only people getting praised seemed to be the type of people that sit around talking at the water cooler instead of doing actual work or attractive recent grads. It was weird to see managers praise an employee days before at a team meeting, only for the same manager to totally crap on that person when holed up in a room with other management staff at the calibration. There's alot of behind the back stuff that people should be aware of.
    -The calibration is the bread and butter of the promotion process, if your manager doesn't praise you at the calibration you're going to have a tough time there because all of the managers know and it impacts their interactions with you along with future promotions and salary increases. It sets the tone. Other managers can also see the results, so yeah if you get on someone's bad side it can be a tricky hill to climb.
    -The Premier Survey's can be traced so be mindful of what you say in them, don't be 100% truthful if you want to keep your job. I know a few of my colleagues who were truthful about their job dissatisfaction and were laid off despite being solid performers.
    -No growth, the company is shrinking. They aren't creating new positions and nor are they replacing people who left for greener pastures or got laid off, unless you're an outsourced worker from other country.
    -Tons of reorgs, expect to have a new manager/director every six months.
    -Tons of projects but no follow through from executive or management.
    -Convoluted business processes, sometimes I feel like they have certain processes just to look busy but serve no real world purpose.
    -Hearing about co-workers (lineman) dying on the field is a huge bummer. It's even worse when you see that PG&E donates zero money to help their families when they're dying on the job working for PG&E.
    -Hearing about San Bruno every other week, the tragedy happened like 10+ years ago yet every few months there's a new fine put in place or something to remind you about it.
    -Going into the required Ethics course at work and listening to snippets from the Enron tapes, then finding out that one of the top guys issuing orders on the tapes was hired by PG&E as a director and worked there for years before retiring with benefits.

Advice to Management

-Listen to your actual employees not the managers.
    -Look at what's going on in the industry and look at what you're doing. Nothing has changed with your approach, you're doing the exact same thing as 10 years ago and you're expecting everything to change to your favor. It's not. The industry has evolved at a rapid pace. You had some good times as a "monopoly" but those times are slowly going away, you're going to have to innovate in order to stay in business. Learn from the mistakes of the Blockbusters, taxi cabs, etc. or you the same will happen to you. Open your eyes.

"IT HR recruiters are I'll informed and not friendly"

Current Employee - Sr IT Analyst in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Sr IT Analyst in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Pacific Gas and Electric full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Good company with alot of great people to work with. Great opportunities to learn many facets if the industry.

Cons

New HR recruiters do not seem to know the process, the different job categories or even much about the job they are recruiting for. This recruiter made 6 errors about job and salary. I think these recruiters are a poor reflection on PGE. This company could do a better job if they could be trained about the recruitment process and coached on behavior.

Advice to Management

Listen to the feedback of new employees and don't be fooled by the recruiter's LinkedIn page. Train tem and coach them and make sure these are the folks you want to represent the company.

6. "A forward thinking energy company working hard to do right by its customers in a challenging regulatory environment."

Pros

Its mission driven and puts safety of its people and customers first. There are a number of fascinating opportunities across the company for smart and dedicated people.

Cons

Figuring out how to get from where we are to where we need to go does not seem clear. It seems like we know where we want to be but the "how" isn't there.

7. "Technology strategy and planning principal"

I have been working at Pacific Gas and Electric full-time

Pros

Good pay master and good work environment

Cons

Not at this point any cons

Advice to Management

Not at this point any advice

"Watch your back"

I have been working at Pacific Gas and Electric full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Good pay, personal development opportunities

Cons

A highly charged political environment. Company has changed considerably the last few years with a constantly revolving door of executives, policies, and priorities.

Advice to Management

Start answering the difficult questions posed to you. The marketing fluff in last weeks casual friday was disgusting.

"Completely Unstable!"

I have been working at Pacific Gas and Electric full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Good salary, 401k matching, pension, and bonus plans
    Flexible compressed work week schedule
    Safety conscious
    Very nice employees
    Variety of work is available

Cons

This was an excellent place to work, but has declined greatly in the last year.
    Reduced and confusing benefits with high pressure deadlines attached to "opt in"( proof of dependents, SDI replacement scheme, and etc)
    Loss of a true vacation buy plan (I'm not buying the tax reason; other law abiding companies are doing it, so there is a way. )
    Horrible office conditions have become the new "office standard" and make it impossible to hear yourself think...they pack us in like animals with deplorable work stations.
    Leadership does not listen to the employees; they can help
    Overpaid executives have destroyed the company and continue to expedite our implosion.

Advice to Management

You are running The business into the ground through reactionary tactics and are not at all forward thinking. You're leading through a rearview mirror with no real focus. Changing the mission statement is not the guidance that will right this sinking ship.
    New Exec Leadership has tunnel vision leading us to nowhere. Lately, more focus has been applied to political causes than running the business. Are we selling energy or running a campaign? The company is changing for the worse and we are continuing to lose sigh. Our "Northstar" is chasing old technology and labeling it as innovative; it's like a train to nowhere(make that a stagecoach to nowhere). Micro- management is plentiful with directors required to approve everything instead of focusing on the strategic development of the company. Not that aren't a ton of directors to execute the mundane tasks; in fact, there are way too many in some lines of business. Slowdown, listen, and think...don't forget your employees are shareholders too and we are not impressed!

"No work-life balance"

Former Employee - Director's Assistant
    Former Employee - Director's Assistant

I worked at Pacific Gas and Electric full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Very hard-working employees, great benefits, lots of opportunities for growth within the company.

Cons

No work-life balance and poor leadership. The Affordability measures and elimination of jobs impacted employees who were left with jobs, creating a low moral and poor work environment.

Advice to Management

Be more transparent. Listen to your employees.

Showing 920 of 1,093 reviews