Pacific Gas and Electric Reviews | Glassdoor

Sort: PopularRatingDate

"Weird Company Culture"

Former Contractor - Senior Compliance Analyst in San Francisco, CA
    Former Contractor - Senior Compliance Analyst in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Pacific Gas and Electric as a contractor (Less than a year)

Pros

Competitive pay and decent conversion opportunities.

Cons

Treated contractors like second-class citizens. The culture was a very typical union atmosphere. Nobody wanted to help outside of their narrow job description. Had frequent unpaid contractor furloughs. Very little transparency from management.

Advice to Management

Treat your contractors better

2. "Obsolete Behemoth trying to compete for agile talent"

Former Contractor - Project Manager in San Ramon, CA
    Former Contractor - Project Manager in San Ramon, CA

I worked at Pacific Gas and Electric as a contractor

Pros

Large corporation with lots of benefits & resources to compete for talent. Nice campuses in DT San Francisco, San Ramon & Concord

Cons

Risk averse culture stifles true innovation at a time when the entire utility industry faces real threats from an aging workforce, cybersecurity & aging infrastructure.

Advice to Management

The world is changing faster than the utility industry. Find a way to match the speed of innovation of risk becoming irrelevant.

3. "Senior Estimator"

Current Employee - Senior Estimator
    Current Employee - Senior Estimator

I have been working at Pacific Gas and Electric full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Great pay for the lack of education you need to get this gig. Retirement is very competitive, medical, dental, opt.. Union is strong for the most part, could be improved but could be a lot worse.

Cons

They just hire one inexperienced supervisor after another. You get a strong sense that most people are just here for the pay, and there is very low job satisfaction. I definitely wouldn't tell someone to not take the job if they needed the money, but if you can do something else, DO IT! Go somewhere where you can take some pride in the work you do. You are just a number here.

Advice to Management

Go back to coaching little league you college football rejects! Ha! Hire competent people who know the job inside and out, and let them lead.

"Respect the guys and gals in the blue trucks, but I wouldn't work there again"

Former Employee - Manager in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Manager in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Pacific Gas and Electric full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great that Geisha Williams will become CEO in 2017. Some good leaders in the company and some innovation too. Most of the field-based employees are hard-working and really care about customers and the community.

Cons

Very political and toxic work environment the further you get away from the field. Speaking up in the corporate offices is not necessarily encouraged, especially if you work in the corporate office. Many leaders run their operations by using fear and intimidation as their management style. Promotions often occur by managing up and playing the political game. If you play it well, you'll do well. If you don't, you won't. A lot of employees are miserable at PG&E but won't leave /feel they can't leave because of the pension.

Advice to Management

Listen to field-based workers. Walk the talk. Pay attention to the departments that have high attrition rates and seek to understand why. Don't reward political game players. Learn from San Bruno and all the other mistakes the company has made.

"Lack of clarity about our shared future"

Current Employee - Manager in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Manager in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Pacific Gas and Electric full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

The company leadership has given it the college try to get out in front of announcing that Diablo Canyon Power Plant will not pursue relicensing.

Cons

Senior leaders have placed way too much emphasis on the impending excellence plan without providing anything besides a limited promise on compensation if you stay for defined periods of time. While the intent is appreciated (incent me to stay longer), there appears to be no intent on providing other incentives including employee development (described as a far off objective) and engagement.

Advice to Management

Include your supervisors and managers as players in leading this change. Up to now, I (a manager) have been relegated to getting my information along with the rest of the plant personnel.
    Provide a better game plan for the next 4-7 years, right now it feels like all I'm being asked is to push the "I Believe" button. That's not enough. Morale is starting to degrade.

"Pseudo Government and the worst of it"

Pros

Good Benefits andeFairly easy work environment

Cons

No true drive for excellence and don't hold managers accountable (not that many could stand the heat of the real world

"Great place for baby boomers. But not for people who actually want job satisfaction."

Former Employee - Project Manager
    Former Employee - Project Manager

I worked at Pacific Gas and Electric full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

- Work life balance (people really don't work that hard there)
    - Stable (it's a monopoly). PG&E gets paid no matter what.
    - Great for baby boomers who like slow pace and have meetings to talk about the agenda for the next meetings. But if you are ambitious and actually want to work fast and get things done. This is not the place for you.

Cons

- Cheap company (laptops renew cycle is every FIVE years). Might as well give me a desktop. I haven't seen laptop this big and heavy since I don't know when. Is it even legal to have employees carry something this heavy and walk between floors?
    - Cheap company: office doesn't even offer plastic plates, forks and cups.
    - Cheap company: office settings look like something that you see from Mad Men
    - Manage to report: people really care about status reports, have multiple meetings to talk about the same status reports, than actually getting things done. It's all about reporting status to 'leadership'.

Advice to Management

Before getting hired I had this perception that it is a big dinosaur and bureaucratic company. It is even worse than I expected.

"Consultant/Contractor Enterprise Change"

Former Employee - Change Consultant in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Change Consultant in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Pacific Gas and Electric full-time (More than a year)

Pros

This review is based upon my 1 1/2 years experience as a contractor in Enterprise Change (Joe Raftner's group). Pros/Cons will overlap.

Pro #1 - $92.00/hour
    Pro # 2 - The facilities are great. Downtown has a captured deli, free gym with classes available to contractors. Free parking in the garage with prior arrangements. San Ramon Conference Center and Bishop Ranch facilities are beautiful and there is always free food!
    Pro # 3 Perfect place for people who operate best in environments where they can just do what they're told and go home. Many, many lifers. Those looking for a workplace that is like a second family will love it here.
    Pro #4 Projects that fall within certain budget criteria are required to have a Change Lead assigned. This is the reason for the ridiculously large amount of overpaid Change Contractors at PG&E. This makes it a great place to coast because very few people actually understand what you're supposed to be doing. but don't expect to learn anything.

Cons

Enterprise Change has very little respect within the organization, and I suspect it will soon be buried in the very crowded PG&E graveyard of good, but poorly executed, intentions.

Except for one person, all of Joe's direct reports (Change Partners) are either executives from other industries, or retired military officers who are lovely but have zero corporate or change experience.

So, unless you're a Change Lead on one of 3-4 critical projects (Superfit, Ecap), you will be completely on your own. This is great if your project team/sponsor understands change, but if they don't and can make a case against enterprise change/Joe (I.e scope, schedule, budget), your contract will end with zero notice. Don't worry because another agency will pick you back up and you'll be on another project in no time.

Advice to Management

Hold people accountable, figure out a way to get rid of incompetent people versus moving them around. Stop trying to be something other than a utility company. PG&E is an amazingly frustrating place for those who have worked in other industries, companies, realities.

"Great if you're looking for somewhere to retire"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Pros

great work-life balance. low stress for folks who are looking for job security. pace is very manageable.

Cons

company has a terrible reputation in the community. management does not take action when it comes to eliminating deadweight

Advice to Management

work on branding and providing services to the community to offset negative reputation

"Lack of on-the-job training and mismanagement"

Current Employee - Expert Business Systems Specialist in San Ramon, CA
    Current Employee - Expert Business Systems Specialist in San Ramon, CA

I have been working at Pacific Gas and Electric full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Benefits package is excellent. Union employees get fair compensation. I am non-union.

Cons

This is the first company (as a seasoned professional) I've ever worked at where I am underutilized and undervalued. Tax liabilities for relocation package are steep. IT is a jumbled mess of incompetent management, yet instead of providing a service, they actually dictate the business despite not understanding the business needs. Every department is siloed, so there is a lot of repetition and waste. What I find incredulous is 90% of the time, the bad, expensive idea wins over the economic, inexpensive one.

Advice to Management

Management needs to recognize that proper training in a job is more important than technology. Older staff knowledge is being lost when new technology with no guidance is being put in as the replacement
    Management pays more attention to consultants that have ulterior motives than staff who are actually knowledgeable of the field (years of experience outside of PG&E), and could provide decision assistance.
    Centralizing San Ramon has created a talent vacuum due to the cost of living and horrific commute.

Showing 129 of 1,122 reviews