Pacific Gas and Electric Reviews | Glassdoor

Pacific Gas and Electric Reviews

Updated April 10, 2017

Pros
Cons
  • work life balance - this sometimes can be an issue (in 34 reviews)

• A lot of pressure from upper management regarding project deadlines (in 39 reviews)

1. "The people make this company great."

Current Employee - Independent Contractor in Columbus, OH
    Current Employee - Independent Contractor in Columbus, OH

I have been working at Pacific Gas and Electric (More than a year)

Pros

Great Team to work with, love the people.

Cons

Trouble with sticking to projects. Things are often picked up and put down due to misalignment.

2. "PG&E Academy"

Former Contractor - Curriculum Developer in Livermore, CA
    Former Contractor - Curriculum Developer in Livermore, CA

I worked at Pacific Gas and Electric as a contractor (More than 3 years)

Pros

The work was challenging, and the people are great to work with. I was able to grow my skills while contributing to a meaningful team.

Cons

The work can be very high pressure, because the training is very important for safety and reliability, and the standards are exacting.

"Great company for those looking for stable, long-term job."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Pacific Gas and Electric full-time

Pros

Great pay, benefits, and work life balance - majority of the company adheres pretty closely to the 8/9 hour work day and don't take work home (although, of course, this may depend on your specific position or company).
    Transparent executive leadership - constant updates from executives via email and monthly calls
    Smart people
    Loyal workforce - there seems to be a strong PG&E sense of pride
    As a whole, this company values diversity and safety and is really progressive
    Easy to make lateral moves to other departments

Cons

It can feel repetitive and slow. The company is still a huge workforce of over 20,000+ and it can feel that way at times. There are many "lifers" here as well (nothing wrong with that). If you're someone who's more settled down and looking for a great paying stable job to provide for yourself and family - this is a company for you. if you're someone who is full of energy and ideas and want to work with other like-minded people in a fast-paced environment...this is definitely not it.

5. "Intern"

Former Employee - Engineering Intern in San Ramon, CA
    Former Employee - Engineering Intern in San Ramon, CA

I worked at Pacific Gas and Electric full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

PG&E offers competitive pay. Also, interns spend a lot of time networking and attending events with fellow interns, and they do their best to ensure you're actually engaged in your job.

Cons

I was unlucky and received a remarkably boring assignment. All of the "good" or interesting intern assignments had been given away by the time I was offered a position, and as a result I was placed in a group that did not give me any really valuable experience. A lot of my time spent as an Engineering intern was downtime, killing time between menial tasks. I was not the only one with this problem, so if you're interested in small workloads and good pay, check PG&E out.

Advice to Management

Make sure your intern assignments actually mean something. I spent 12 weeks editing spreadsheets and copy/pasting data from one sheet to the next.

"Great place to work"

Current Employee - Senior Construction Manager in San Ramon, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Construction Manager in San Ramon, CA

I have been working at Pacific Gas and Electric full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

PG&E is what you make of it. It is such a large company that you can fly under the radar and get paid well and have a good work life balance. But it is also a place that there is plenty of opportunity if you are ambitious and want to move through the ranks. The key to do so is meet as many people as possible and work hard and prove your worth. Speak up during meetings and adopt company policies and procedures. Challenge policies that do not benefit the company and be sure you present a problem with a solution to said problem. As I say, it is what you make of it. You can put in 80-90% effort and cruise or you can put in 100-110% and make your presence known and prove to be a valuable asset to the company and it will eventually be noticed and rewarded. Plenty of opportunity to make moves laterally or upward!

Cons

Such a large company can sometimes be difficult to make changes. Keep pounding the pavement if you want to implement a change. You need to make your presence known if you want to change things for the better and not give up. It is easy to be rejected or for a process change to get lost due to the size of the company but you can't give up.
    Planning is terrible at PG&E. There are some large bottlenecks that are creating issues with planning projects. Once these bottlenecks are cleared, planning will improve. But until that happens, dates will constantly be missed and projects will constantly be pushed.

Advice to Management

Improving the project planning process is absolutely imperative to begin to cut project costs. You cannot focus on cost improvement until the planning process is improved. If you constantly miss dates, you will never improve project cost or project efficiency. Late scope and schedule changes will always have cost implications. Focus on improving the leading indicators (project planning and scheduling) prior to trying to fix the lagging indicators (project cost)

7. "Senior Engineer"

Current Employee - Senior Engineer in San Luis Obispo, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Engineer in San Luis Obispo, CA

I have been working at Pacific Gas and Electric full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Good steady work that is almost immune to market volatility. Good people with lots of diversity. For me it allows me to stay in CA with my family.

Cons

Work can be boring and monotonous. Lots of red tape and processes to follow so productivity is low.

Advice to Management

Find a way to reduce processes and unnecessary work.

"Satisfaction depends on what's important to you"

Current Employee - Senior Internal Auditor in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Internal Auditor in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Pacific Gas and Electric full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Talented, diverse people everywhere, Incredibly interesting company and nearly any field you want to work in has opportunity. Great bennies, excellent work life balance and meanigful work at a company that truly allows society to function.

Cons

Stupid IT leadership will bring the company to its knees. Senior leadership is afflicted with the same disease as every other large company and places too much emphasis on short term profits over quality decision making.

Advice to Management

Running a business takes more than handshakes, photo ops and flashy gadgets. You have to spend money to maintain advantage, especially in IT. The current IT philosophy is going to kill this company.

9. "Descent pay, future prospect not so good"

Former Employee - Drafter in Avila Beach, CA
    Former Employee - Drafter in Avila Beach, CA

Pros

The pay is great, it would be hard to get payed as well at other local companies where I would have even greater responsibilities. Safety.

Cons

Was not encouraged to learn more skills or to take on more responsibilities. Little interaction with immediate supervisor. Little to no feed back on job performance. Low morale and opinion of management by many employees.

Advice to Management

More transparency, better work reviews and feed back, more incentives for good employees, better reception to employee concerns

10. "Stable Utility"

Current Employee - Expert Analyst in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Expert Analyst in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Pacific Gas and Electric full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Pay and benefits are good, company is relatively stable

Cons

Slow pace, recent regulatory changes may bring significant downsides.

11. "Intern"

Current Intern - Intern - Hourly in San Francisco, CA
    Current Intern - Intern - Hourly in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Pacific Gas and Electric as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

Great learning environment. Employees are super friendly and willing to teach you. Good pay.

Cons

IT sector is just getting to the speed of it should have been some years ago. It could be seen as a Pros because people will get to learn from this

Advice to Management

Keep improving the IT Sector