Cover image for Pacific Gas and Electric
Logo

Engaged Employer

Add a Review

Pacific Gas and Electric Employee Reviews about "upper management"

Updated Oct 28, 2021

3.9
Pacific Gas and Electric Chief Executive Officer Patricia Poppe
Patricia Poppe

Top Review Highlights by Sentiment

Pros
  • "They have a great benefits package and positions available in both major cities and beautiful wild areas in central and northern California.(in 328 reviews)
  • "this job has Good pay and benefits especially for the areas that we get to work in.(in 172 reviews)
  • "The people you work with are great and one of the reasons why I stayed as long as I did.(in 163 reviews)
  • "work life balance is good(in 111 reviews)
  • "401k AND pension?(in 52 reviews)
Cons
Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.

Ratings by Demographics

This rating reflects the overall rating of Pacific Gas and Electric and is not affected by filters.

Want more demographic options?

Reviews about "upper management"

Return to all Reviews
  1. 5.0
    Current Employee

Great Pay, Benefits, Unionized position,

Oct 9, 2020 - Electric Distribution Engineer in San Francisco, CA
    Business Outlook

Pros

Depends on your position/city. I had a great supervisor that truly cared about developing me as an engineer and offered opportunities to rotate to other departments. Not all supervisors are like her though so it really depends where you land.

Cons

Upper management revolves too often and they push their agenda without any input from others. No real incentive from people to leave a union position to go to a management position.

2. 3.0
    Current Employee, more than 8 years

Bad pay

Oct 28, 2021 - Senior Recruiter in Concord, CA
    Business Outlook

Pros

Benefits, Great people, Non micromanaging Team Lllkjjjiingthft Ghghjjkhyh Hvhjvhkk

Cons

Pay Career advancement Favoritism Lots of upper management turn over

1 person found this review helpful
  3. Join the Pacific Gas and Electric team
    See Our Latest Jobs
  4. 3.0
    Former Employee, more than 3 years

great compaty

Jun 27, 2021 - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA
    Business Outlook

Pros

great benefits excellent location. San Francisco downtown

Cons

tech companies around pay better. Upper management does not care about middle level.

5. 3.0

Not uncommon for employees to be here for 40 years

Mar 5, 2021 - Principal Engineer in San Francisco, CA
    Business Outlook

Pros

Easy mobility within the company, great retirement plans

Cons

Constant change in upper management

6. 4.0
    Former Freelancer, more than 10 years

Has great potenital, but mid to.upper management has had issues for decades

Dec 13, 2019 - Senior Electrical Engineer in San Francisco, CA
    Business Outlook

Pros

Good pay, good benefits, a great sense of team work among those that do the real work.

Cons

An extraordinarily bureaucratic management system. Many mid level managers and directors are fundamentally incompetent and are promoted too quickly. Many have gotten to their positions because they "know" someone. But there are a quite a few good supervisors. The Performance Management System is a deficient as managers and directors can influence and arbitrarily override the supervisors evaluation of their direct reports. Over the years this has probably led to the Company's current fatal downfall . The field workers and engineering support do their work very well, the mid to upper management tends to be incompetent and have a bunker mentality.

7. 2.0
    Former Contractor, more than 1 year

Their Agile efforts fell flat

Nov 2, 2019 - Scrum Master in San Francisco, CA
    Business Outlook

Pros

My manger was great and wanted this new software development style to work My teams were amazing and hardworking Fun place to work

Cons

Upper management was counterproductive to our efforts The millions of dollars spent to convert a team to a new software methodology was lost when a single person was put in charge WAY too much politics

8. 4.0
    Current Employee, more than 10 years

Love the company / hate the uncertainty

Jul 24, 2019 - Manager in San Francisco, CA
    Business Outlook

Pros

Good people, exciting work, great benefits, and a family oriented place to work

Cons

Because of the bankruptcy, there is a lot of uncertainty that comes from upper management as well. When everyone is worried about their own position, there seems to be a lack of empathy for others.

2 people found this review helpful
  9. 4.0
    Former Freelancer, more than 10 years

Constant Change

Feb 15, 2018 - Underground Electric Crew Foreman in Sacramento, CA
    Business Outlook

Pros

Small Yards and Work groups stay consistent

Cons

Upper Management is hired from outside companies. a lot of structure change.

10. 4.0
    Current Contractor, more than 1 year

I have been working at Pacific Gas and Electric as contractor

Nov 2, 2017 - Full Stack Developer in San Francisco, CA
    Business Outlook

Pros

Great work Environment and work life balance

Cons

"A lot of pressure from upper management regarding project deadlines"

11. 1.0
    Current Employee, more than 10 years

Quickly becoming a company that is hated by it's employees and the public.

Oct 5, 2017 - Gas Crew Leader
    Business Outlook

Pros

Challenging work, never a dull moment in my line of work. Problem is I am told to do more with less and I'm not getting any younger, with hardly any new hires to fill the gaps. I get a decent wage, but benefits are slowly shrinking. If you like overtime, it's thrown on your lap at the worst times of the year due to bad planning and management. Union job, with hardly any union backup.

Cons

I don't know where to begin. They hire people in the wrong positions that haven't got a clue of the work we do. Seems like if you have an east coast accent, you're hired even if you're clueless and unsafe. They have cut back on almost every perk, all the while upper management bonuses have never been larger. I barely have tools to do my job in the Gas dept. If there were an earthquake, we are screwed due to lack of personel and tools. The service yards are falling apart. Too much red tape to do anything productive. Drowning in paperwork...Yes paperwork not computer. 20 years behind in almost everything. In my eyes, we are far from "The leading utility company"

7 people found this review helpful
Viewing 1 - 10 of 68 Reviews
</>Embed

Popular Careers with Pacific Gas and Electric Job Seekers

JobsSalariesInterviews

Work at Pacific Gas and Electric? Share Your Experiences

Pacific Gas and Electric Careers

Cover image for Pacific Gas and Electric

Join PG&E, and you’re joining a strong team—one that is proud of the vital work we do for California. Ours is a 24/7 business. Day in and...More

• Diversity
  • Benefits
  • Giving Back
  • Environment

Reviews by Job Title

Company Updates

Logo

36 days ago

Company News
What does PG&E have in common with some of America’s largest companies? According to a new survey, our company is among the top five in the United States at providing opportunities and economic mobility for their coworkers who don’t have a college degree. The American Opportunity Index—a joint project of the Burning Glass Institute, Harvard Business School’s Project on Managing the Future of Work, and the Schultz Family Foundation—measured 250 companies on the level of growth chances they provide coworkers within the company and beyond. Click below to learn how we are generating opportunities and mobility for coworkers and the next generation of utility workers.
Shared image - PG&E Ranked Fourth in U.S. in Providing Opportunities for Coworkers Without College Degrees
www.pgecurrents.com

Kaiser Permanente

4.0

13,024 Reviews
Compare

Glassdoor has 2,146 Pacific Gas and Electric reviews submitted anonymously by Pacific Gas and Electric employees. Read employee reviews and ratings on Glassdoor to decide if Pacific Gas and Electric is right for you.