Pacific Gas and Electric "upper management" Reviews | Glassdoor

Pacific Gas and Electric Employee Reviews about "upper management"

Updated Dec 13, 2019

3.3
Pacific Gas and Electric President and CEO William D. Johnson
William D. Johnson
Pros
Cons
  • "Tough work life balance but good otherwise(in 45 reviews)

• "Because of the bankruptcy, there is a lot of uncertainty that comes from upper management as well(in 44 reviews)

Reviews about "upper management"

Return to all Reviews

"I'm here to stay"

Field Engineer in Oakland, CA

I have been working at Pacific Gas and Electric

Pros

PG&E is one of few companies left that offer a pension to employees. On top of the above average benefits one normally sees at a career level job, PG&E offers multiple additional resources and perks such as discounts and complimentary services, too many to mention. Example being a discount on the utility bill (25% off - if it's with PG&E), Major cell carrier bill discounts, travel, loans, commodities etc. PG&E really cares about health and well being and strives to reduce work related injuries (from desk jobs to field work) by offering ergonomic assessments and equipment to reduce fatigue.

Cons

Being a big corporation, change moves slowly and bureaucracy is common gossip around the office. When there is change, it's usually across the board which is both disruptive and can put people out of positions even if their performance is exemplary since they are now a gold plated square peg for a round hole. Though upper management (which there is many layers of) does put effort to reposition these employees its can sometime be hard for the peons to get themselves heard with results.

Pacific Gas and Electric2016-02-11
  2. "Has great potenital, but mid to.upper management has had issues for decades"

Former Freelancer - Senior Electrical Engineer in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Pacific Gas and Electric for more than 10 years

Pros

Good pay, good benefits, a great sense of team work among those that do the real work.

Cons

An extraordinarily bureaucratic management system. Many mid level managers and directors are fundamentally incompetent and are promoted too quickly. Many have gotten to their positions because they "know" someone. But there are a quite a few good supervisors. The Performance Management System is a deficient as managers and directors can influence and arbitrarily override the supervisors evaluation of their direct reports. Over the years this has probably led to the Company's current fatal downfall . The field workers and engineering support do their work very well, the mid to upper management tends to be incompetent and have a bunker mentality.

Pacific Gas and Electric2019-12-13
  3. "Their Agile efforts fell flat"

Former Contractor - Scrum Master in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Pacific Gas and Electric for more than a year

Pros

My manger was great and wanted this new software development style to work My teams were amazing and hardworking Fun place to work

Cons

Upper management was counterproductive to our efforts The millions of dollars spent to convert a team to a new software methodology was lost when a single person was put in charge WAY too much politics

Pacific Gas and Electric2019-11-02

"Love the company / hate the uncertainty"

Current Employee - Manager in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Pacific Gas and Electric full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Good people, exciting work, great benefits, and a family oriented place to work

Cons

Because of the bankruptcy, there is a lot of uncertainty that comes from upper management as well. When everyone is worried about their own position, there seems to be a lack of empathy for others.

Pacific Gas and Electric2019-07-24
  5. "Constant Change"

Former Freelancer - Underground Electric Crew Foreman in Sacramento, CA

I worked at Pacific Gas and Electric for more than 10 years

Pros

Small Yards and Work groups stay consistent

Cons

Upper Management is hired from outside companies. a lot of structure change.

Pacific Gas and Electric2018-02-15
  6. "I have been working at Pacific Gas and Electric as contractor"

Current Contractor - Full Stack Developer in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Pacific Gas and Electric for more than a year

Pros

Great work Environment and work life balance

Cons

"A lot of pressure from upper management regarding project deadlines"

Pacific Gas and Electric2017-11-02

"Quickly becoming a company that is hated by it's employees and the public."

Current Employee - Gas Crew Leader

Pros

Challenging work, never a dull moment in my line of work. Problem is I am told to do more with less and I'm not getting any younger, with hardly any new hires to fill the gaps. I get a decent wage, but benefits are slowly shrinking. If you like overtime, it's thrown on your lap at the worst times of the year due to bad planning and management. Union job, with hardly any union backup.

Cons

I don't know where to begin. They hire people in the wrong positions that haven't got a clue of the work we do. Seems like if you have an east coast accent, you're hired even if you're clueless and unsafe. They have cut back on almost every perk, all the while upper management bonuses have never been larger. I barely have tools to do my job in the Gas dept. If there were an earthquake, we are screwed due to lack of personel and tools. The service yards are falling apart. Too much red tape to do anything productive. Drowning in paperwork...Yes paperwork not computer. 20 years behind in almost everything. In my eyes, we are far from "The leading utility company"

Pacific Gas and Electric2017-10-06

"Traditional and information flows from top down"

I have been working at Pacific Gas and Electric

Pros

Most pros and cons depends on where you are and which organization you belong to... - Employee Resource Groups - decent benefits with pension, 3 week vacation to start, matching 401k, education tuition reimbursement - employees with great knowledge and had been with the company for a long time - scholarships and donations to nonprofits and company matches it - wellness center offers classes free to employees

Cons

- very traditional and relationship based; not what you know but who you know, which can impact your promotion/merit increase - Even if you do a great job but your direct supervisor is not a great advocate of you, mid-upper management won't know you/recognize your contributions - constantly being reorg with new leadership - work-life balance can be a challenge - currently low morale and low engagement as the message had been consistently about affordability and downsizing

Pacific Gas and Electric2017-09-14

"Sr. Management"

Former Employee - Director in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Pacific Gas and Electric full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Great people to work with. Quality hiring in recent times

Cons

Lack of upper management support for Programs & Organization management, Tend to get more work out of part time workers leading to erosion of institutional knowledge. Work life balance although a priority is not given emphasis. Constant restructuring and volatile upper management

Pacific Gas and Electric2017-01-28

"Be cautious. Highs are high but lows..."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Pacific Gas and Electric full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Great people. Very intelligent. Supportive management. Positive environment. Used to have a great career potential and I believe it could again if management gets on the ball.

Cons

One of the things you'll note is that everyone else lists benefits as the main pro. The benefits have been cut drastically in recent years. If you sign on now, you won't get what others are talking about so be sure to weigh that in to any decision. The company values budget over safety even after the incident. I've seen people let go after complaining about safety issues that implicated their management team. Safety issues are hidden and not dealt with, especially when it involves the old guard. The company protects their middle management to the detriment of overall safety. Diversity here also has a long way to go. Minority and female applicants and contractors are turned away to promote traditional employees. If they do hire one, they basically hire the minority, add them to their number and brag about it, then either don't promote them, or in the case of contrators, never hire them full time. It's still an old boys club despite the CEO. In fact, upper management is pretty diverse - the side facing the public. But the lower ranks have a long way to go. My personal thought is that middle management is still very very old fashioned and upper management has their hands full with the post-incident press so they aren't handling these issues well. Very top heavy organization. They could thing management by about half or more and still have plenty.

Pacific Gas and Electric2016-12-13