Pacific Interpreters Reviews | Glassdoor

Rating Trends Rating Trends
Peter Harris

"Depressing, horrible place"

Former Employee - CSA in Portland, OR

I worked at Pacific Interpreters full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

What we did was -good-; connecting hospitals to interpreters was a noble thing to do. It was nice to go home and feel like you hadn't sold your soul working somewhere meaningless.

Cons

The management of this place was unreal. This call center was run into the ground by folks who had never run call centers before, and by God they weren't going to listen to anyone's advice about doing it. Overtime was part of the culture, staffing was perpetually under, hardware falling apart; I was a graveyard supervisor here for about six months, and it's made me -never- want to manage, ever again.

Advice to Management

Learn how call centers work, and treat your employees like human beings; stop doing things that are cost ineffective and morale-decimating.

"If your A Tattel Tale and a Liar and Arse Kisser"

Former Employee - Peon in Portland, OR
    Former Employee - Peon in Portland, OR

Pros

Use to be a wonderful place to work . Workers were appreciated. Company went downhill when the owner sold the company to the highest bidder then got even worse each time they sold it from there on out. Put illiterate people in charge of the workers that had been there longer then them. Simply because they were tattle tales and loved seeing people fired. Actually saw one supervisors eyes light up and act gleeful when one poor soul was fired.

Cons

Company went to hell when they hired back stabbers for supervisors and people that were afraid to report things to upper management. Whistleblowers were wasting their time.

Advice to Management

Management doesnt take advice or they wouldnt put the people in charge that they do. Obvious disgusting liars and butt kissers. When you lost Brian Jamie and the nice ones you threw the company away.

"Underpaid."

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Portland, OR
    Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Portland, OR

I have been working at Pacific Interpreters full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The people who work there are great. I enjoy connecting our customers to an interpreter.

Cons

The pay is ridiculous. And upper management is difficult to deal with.

"Bad Management"

Former Employee - CSA in Portland, OR

I worked at Pacific Interpreters (Less than a year)

Pros

The thing I did like was the job of connecting medical personnel with interpreters. It felt good to be able to help those who had a hard time communicating and for the medical personnel to be able to help their patients get well.

Cons

This is an unhealthy environment to work in. Some employees are afraid to speak up and/or ask questions. It's sad that you can do your best at the job and ask questions along the way and end up being let go. The way I was treated by a manager because I wanted to talk because I didn't get an answer why some things took place was surprising. I felt bullied and humiliated. Never did get to tell my side. Was stopped. I needed the job and was being monitored with very good data accuracy. So was shocked at the end of 90 days that I was let go. A real hardship for me right now.

Advice to Management

Treat the employees with respect and listen and don't control. It felt like a controlled environment. Condenscending and humiliating behavior is very unhealthy and has a negative affect on employees. Employees need the job, but ending up being very stressed.

"Call Center Management will humiliate you"

Former Employee - CSA in Portland, OR

I worked at Pacific Interpreters full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Aside from some of the nice people who are suffering along with you, in the end, I didn't see any pros while working for the company. It was my mistake. At first, I'll be honest, I didn't mind the job. I liked the job. As people left and a bigger company bought the joint, things changed, making it hostile, uncomfortable, and emotionally unstable.

Cons

There are these baby vultures that walk around the call center that put on a show for you. They peer over your shoulder, give you a cute little smile, talk friendly to you, and then report back to the mother birds that you are a terrible employee.

We couldn't safely report any issues to ANYBODY in the entire place, out of fear we would lose our jobs. If we had any complaints, there was no possible way for us to tell a member of upper management. A few people tried, but then they got fired the same week for poor performance. Good luck trying to help make positive changes.

I worked there for over 3 1/2 years. I started the job at $10.50 and hour, and ended the job at $10.60 an hour. I was a hard worker, putting in over 50 hours a week for OT, and I only received a ten cent raise (5 cents 2x) during my time there. Just terribly.

I applied many times for different positions around the company. Jobs that I was highly qualified for. Well, every time, I was dismissed and brushed under the rug. The jobs always went to unqualified people who weren't part of the company previously. So much for hiring internally.

And, the worst thing of it all...wait for it...

The call center management and would talk so much behind the backs of so many of the employees within earshot of everyone else. I remember always walking into conversations between persons of management and other employees, just trash talking some of the other employees. It was so sad, the things they were saying. And they would just trash talk all day long in their offices that they thought were sound proof. I saw so many people upset and crying because of issues like this. It is incredibly sad. Shame on them.

The question, " Why did I stay here for so long?" It was easy, and I could still go to college.

Advice to Management

You guys are just terrible people. Why would you treat people with such disrespect. I have never encountered a management team that was so ill educated in the terms of human decency. You should be ashamed of yourselves. Think of all the tears you have caused over the years. You hurt people. Innocent bystanders who are just looking to get by on a daily basis are getting bulldozed by people they should be trusting to ensure a safe and healthy work environment.

"Great work but terrible morale and environment"

Former Employee - CSA in Portland, OR

I worked at Pacific Interpreters full-time (More than a year)

Pros

It was really satisfying knowing that your time was spent getting help, in the form of language interpretation, to a patient or family in what was often a stressful situation for the individual;making their life easier, and lessening their stress. I have an interest in foreign laguages and enjoyed learning more always. All zone Tri-met bus pass medical insurance.

Cons

The management, well that's another story. It was an expected and unspoken job requirement to work OT when asked and most definitely to come in to work no matter the reason. It didn't make a difference if you were contagious..didn't matter to management because the people you spread your illness to would still come into work...they don't want to lose that paycheck either, meager as it was. The management just flat out wasn't very nice. Once an email was sent around the call center from management with a request to not take bathroom breaks. The manager who authored that email underscored the request by saying that their were tons of people who would take our jobs if we didn't want them. Wow. Also, the supervisors were supposed to do "walk arounds" to basically spy on the call takers. Stand behind you and silently observe or some would actually put a hand on your shoulder or chair and somehow believe that you'd never figure out they weren't your best friend while they chatted you up AND spied on you. They would let people go in the blink of an eye, for anything. It is so hard to believe that the environment has gotten worse than it was since the company was bought out. I'm sad for those still working there.

Advice to Management

Have a heart. Appreciate your employees and show them some respect.

"If you like Abusive management and crap pay go for it!"

Current Employee - CSA in Portland, OR
    Current Employee - CSA in Portland, OR

I have been working at Pacific Interpreters full-time (More than a year)

Pros

They will hire anyone - It's a job with a paycheck to barely may your bills. You get a public transit pass. health insurance

Cons

Management loves to pull you into offices and treat you like your a dog. pays you barely over minimum wage. A very mind numbing job. Its what you do when nothing else is hiring. Leads don't stand up for you anymore. once the company sold it went down the drain from a mom and pa center to a horrible place. lets start with the current Moral there is none. positivity none. OT is there you will be harassed too do OT. If you get sick forget about it. If your kids are sick you'll get \called in to cover if your on vacation they call you to come in to cover OT.

Expect to see people yelling at one another. This starts int e call center management they will yell and publicly humiliate.. There is a culture of fear here that is fostered by this style of communication. If you want to work in a highly professional environment, this isn't it.

Attendance policy here is a joke, it is designed to ensure that there is always an agent to answer a call, there is no regards for illness. Sick? Too bad, come in or take a point. I saw so many good agents have to leave because the attendance policy forced them into a schedule they couldn't work. Which makes for people coming in when they are sick causing everyone else to get sick I couldn't tell you how many people I've seen puking in the bathrooms.

Filthy environment, management is frequently no where to be seen during busy hours of the day, management is commonly ignorant, computers are frequently dysfunctional and freeze when inbound calls get busy.

way to much negativity ' i will stop here as it just aggravates me the more i think of the place

Advice to Management

Review the call center department it has a high turnover rate. In this economy, people really have to be unhappy to leave a steady job. Consider that you might have a leadership problem.

Your employees are not happy. Deliver what your clients expect (and pay for) in their contracts. Pay people what they are worth, and work to keep your employees who are actually doing the majority of the work. Also figure out some sort of career advancement program/path. expectations.

Fix the network and servers and the programs you use. Stop blaming the employees for your failure to have a proper working call center. your switches fail to function with such a high call value. stop bring on client you until you can handle the work load.

"Pacific Interpreters is not a good company to work for."

Former Employee - CSA in Omaha, NE
    Former Employee - CSA in Omaha, NE

I worked at Pacific Interpreters full-time

Pros

There are no good reasons to work here.

Cons

Pacific Interpreters was recently purchased by Language Line. The two companies have a combined annual revenue of $300 million. Yet, the first thing Language Line did was slash CSA salaries by $45 per month by refusing to pay for CSA parking. It is $82.50 per month and Pacific Interpreters used to reimburse their employees for half of that - or $45. Now, CSAs must pay the entire parking fee of $82.50 every month - from an hourly salary of barely $10. If you want to work someplace where you will be treated well, this is not the place for you.

Advice to Management

You are taking money from the poorest paid employees in the company every month. Shame on you!

"Underpaid = under-qualified"

Current Contractor - Interpreter in Portland, OR
    Current Contractor - Interpreter in Portland, OR

I have been working at Pacific Interpreters as a contractor (Less than a year)

Pros

Nothing is positive about this company- I feel sorry for the actual founders... Now that a company has bought them out -it is about the money not the service they provide!

Cons

No one they hire is actually an interpreter- staff is sub par and communication = ZERO
    They say to companies that they are all about the company - they are not!

Advice to Management

Do not try to pay me 30-40 cents less a minute than other companies!! This is why you get sub par interpreters---qualified interpreters would NEVER work for this company.

"Only option to work as a contractor"

Current Employee - Interpreter in Scottsdale, AZ
    Current Employee - Interpreter in Scottsdale, AZ

Pros

Schedule flexibility, as a contractor you are your own boss, you work when you wnat, though they call you sometimes in the middle of your free time to ask you to log in because they cannot ahndle their call volume, go and figure who is going to say "no" to more money?

Cons

There is no career development, a lot of talk, they say the do train you, but they can't it would be illegal if they did. There is a lot of politics in this place, it is a good gig for the time being. No cost to the interpreter but no gain either...

Advice to Management

MAke interpreteers employees they you can train us, then you can BS everybody out there.