Pacific Islands Club Reviews | Glassdoor

3.5
  1. "False Advertisement"

Former Employee - Clubmate

I worked at Pacific Islands Club full-time for less than a year

Pros

Fun to live in a new place, beautiful sunsets, work with people the same age and easy to make friends, able to travel to Asia afterwards. If you enjoy being a lifeguard, then you should definitely apply for the position.

Cons

Most of the job is "lifeguarding," but without proper training, CPR certification, etc. Pacific Islands Club doesn't have much money for training, which I'm guessing is why they don't want to pay to qualify you to be a lifeguard and then have to pay you more.You will spend most of your time sitting in a chair, blowing your whistle at guests and telling them to stop doing stupid things in the pools. On occasion... though, you might see a guest drown, become unconscious, etc. and so you blow your whistle for someone to help you. Hopefully a supervisor hears you and can do something, but sometimes they leave their post to take care of other things. PIC has strict rules even when you're not working, such as you have to your name tag 24/7, can't use certain facilities, use your phone where guests can see you (even on your off days), men must shave every day, etc. Some supervisors have open affairs with staff which creates favoritism and conflict. Resort is run-down and the rooms you live in are musty and gross. Wifi doesn't work a lot of the time and the meals in the staff cafeteria are terrible. On off days it is difficult to get around the island without renting a car and you only get one off day a week.

Advice to Management

Change the name from "Clubmate" to "Lifeguard" because that's the majority of the position and then properly train people so they know what to do in a life-or-death situation. Do something about the swim-thru aquarium because the staph infections, boils, failing safety ratings and 60 dead fish seem to make it unsafe for employees to have to swim through. Also, do not make the employees work in thunder, lightning, or... typhoons. Update the rooms so that they all have functioning toilets and sinks. Overall, just be honest about what the position entails and don't sell it as "the clubmate experience" when engaging with guests only occurs 20-25% of the time.

Pacific Islands Club2015-09-30
  2. "Time of your life if you can handle it"

Former Employee - Clubmate (Kids Club Captain) in Saipan, MP

I worked at Pacific Islands Club full-time for less than a year

Pros

It is a fun job. A chance to live on a tropical island. You basically are handed a group of friends with your coworkers (who, btw love to party). Speaking of which, you get half off drinks at the hotel bar so it is good to load up there and then head out. Some of the duties are tedious- such as lifeguarding the pool- while others are really fun like giving snorkeling tours, running activities, kids club, nightly... shows and water aerobics. Most people will have to stretch out of their comfort zone to enjoy this job but if you can manage that then it will be a blast.

Cons

You live at the resort nearly 24/7. Working around 50 hours a week with an odd schedule that can have you obligated to the job from 9am- 8 at night. If something is messed up with the schedule then you may have to work from 8am all the way to ten at night. You only get one day off a week. Like I mentioned earlier though, the job is pretty enjoyable though in less you get a bunch of bad shifts in one day. The job... is all about ups and downs. One shift (an hour long) you will be sitting up by the slide bored out of your mind while the next shift you will be leading water aerobics or singing and dancing. In the beginning you will bad shifts more often. Get qualified to do tennis lessons or do a good job in kids club to get more fun shifts. It pays off a lot. basically, it is easy to complain and take a negative perspective when doing this job but if you keep upbeat about it you can make any shift a good time. forgot to mention- the food sucks.

Advice to Management

Just want it to be looser, back like it was in the 'glory days." Let us have a few drinks on the job. Let the 9th floor (where you live with all the other foreign hires) be a party. And can we get rid of the rule about no guests after 10pm. Was always about a 50-50 shot sneaking girls up there- i mean, im the ''ambassador of fun" so let me show these guests a good time.

Pacific Islands Club2015-05-08
  3. "I am able to multitask in a most efficient and effective way possible"

Current Employee - Restaurant Supervisor in Tumon

I have been working at Pacific Islands Club full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Giving people better opprtunities, excellent good customer service training.

Cons

Lack of employee benefits, employee race

Pacific Islands Club2019-06-30
  4. "Regrettable - Hated my employment at this hotel"

Former Employee - Cashier/Server in Tumon

I worked at Pacific Islands Club part-time for more than 3 years

Pros

The only lesson I learned from the 4 years of working for this hotel was that I had to be fake - not only to the guests, but to the rest of the employees as well...straight up advice from one of the directors. I've only stayed for that long because I was going to college and the hours were flexible for my schedule. Since I left, I have never gone back and have no intention to as long as I live on this island

Cons

No consideration for the employees. Managers show no regard for how the employees of their department conduct themselves especially in front of guests. Employees will show inappropriate behavior towards each other and guests. It is not worth the employee benefits.

Advice to Management

Do not work here unless you're that desperate. (I only gave 1 star because it wouldn't let me submit a review without one)

Pacific Islands Club2019-02-26
  5. "Pacific Islands Club"

Clubmate in Tumon

I worked at Pacific Islands Club for less than a year

Pros

Really a great company, with fantastic co-workers. Working outside everyday and interacting with guests.

Cons

Be prepared to work 6 days a week and sit on chair for 3-4 hours a day. You are responsible for lives with minimal training

Advice to Management

Keep recruiting fun, outgoing clubmates! It's what makes the guests, management and other clubmates excited to work.

Pacific Islands Club2016-11-17
  6. "Clubmate Position - Once In A Lifetime Experience"

Former Employee - Clubmate in Tumon

I worked at Pacific Islands Club full-time for less than a year

Pros

Worked in a fun environment where everyone is friendly and energetic. Got the opportunity to learn new unique skills such as scuba diving, windsurfing, and sailing a Hobie Cat. Got the opportunity to travel to other countries like Korean and Taiwan to represent the hotel at tourism trade shows. Got the opportunity to learn Japanese and Korean by speaking to guests and took free classes that the hotel provided.... Got the opportunity to make life long friends in Korea, Japan, Taiwan, and Guam. I now have people to help me out whenever I travel to those areas. Free housing on property with free in-room internet access and free laundry room. Free meals at the employee cafe and international buffet restaurant that the hotel guests eat at. The hotel paid for my airline ticket from the mainland U.S. to go to Guam. Guam is such a beautiful island and the ocean was literally my back yard.

Cons

Salary was not that much but when you don't have to pay for rent, water, power, food, etc . . .you pretty much save a lot of money or spend it on doing fun things like scuba diving, sky diving, jet skiiing, or going out partying.

Advice to Management

Keep the job opportunity open for people from the U.S. mainland to work as Clubmates. It was the best job I ever had. Working as a Clubmate changed my life for the better and gave me a brighter outlook on life. Thank you PIC!

Pacific Islands Club2013-09-09
  7. "The position I am in is not as challenging as I thought it would be."

I have been working at Pacific Islands Club

Pros

Great experience interacting with guests. Lot's of different cultures and ethnicity you can learn about. The benefits are also good!

Cons

Compared to other jobs in the same position(s), salary is extremely low. Difficult to move up in position because there are so many good competitors.

Pacific Islands Club2012-04-15