Pacific Life 192 Reviews | Glassdoor

Pacific Life Reviews

Updated February 16, 2017

Full-time Part-time

Pros
Cons
  • Hard to move up (people work here for life (in 5 reviews)

• Middle management does not encourage upward mobility (in 7 reviews)

1. "Annuity Specialist"

Former Employee - Annuity Specialist in Omaha, NE
    Former Employee - Annuity Specialist in Omaha, NE

I worked at Pacific Life full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good payand benefits. Plenty of training.

Cons

None that I can think of.

2. "Good experience, but limited support"

Pros

Great home office location. Very motivated employees.

Cons

Limited training offered. Huge turnover in management that effects stability.

3. "RVP"

I worked at Pacific Life full-time

Pros

good culture, pay and benefits

Cons

no work life balance and high stress

Advice to Management

communicate clearly to employees and test test test

5. "Great company to work for"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Aliso Viejo, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Aliso Viejo, CA

I have been working at Pacific Life full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Most departments within the company seem to have a commitment to developing talent and promoting internally. Many of my colleagues have been with the company long-term, often for decades. Pacific Life is a mutual company, so there are no quarterly earning reports or dividends to worry about.

Cons

As a large company, the bureaucracy can be challenging. Pacific Life also does business in a highly regulated industry.

Advice to Management

The senior leadership of the company and division seem to have a strong commitment to their employees and customers. They also aren't content to continue with the status quo in an industry whose growth has remained flat for years.

"Analyst"

Former Employee - Analyst in Newport Beach, CA
    Former Employee - Analyst in Newport Beach, CA

I worked at Pacific Life full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great old-line insurance and financial services firm with proud history. Mostly really nice people (95%) and good work environment. The company is focused on growing itself through solid strategies and strong products. Competitive benefits and strong commitment to community. A great place to work most days.

Cons

PL is challenged with a few managers/directors/VPs that shouldn't be in positions of leadership. To be become a leader it's more about who you know rather than what you know. Not a full meritocracy. If you're perceived not to be "one of the special people," you'll likely get a smaller bonus. While all departments are quite good to work with, HR is a joke.

Advice to Management

Stay the steady course and open your minds to current technology and "best practices" in human resource management. Take complaints seriously. There's also a little bit of room to improve the company's culture, although it is pretty darn good for today's world.

7. "IT"

Pros

Holiday party best in class.

Cons

No cons to report at this time.

8. "Great place for stability and longevity"

I have been working at Pacific Life full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Have a wonderful boss. Great flexibility for those with families. Feel very secure and appreciated. Co-workers are professional with no bad mouth talking like at other firms. Management is trained well to treat employees with respect. Longevity is the norm for a reason.

Cons

The only negative was before getting hired, HR called me at my previous job, asking a bunch of questions. It's not like I wanted my employer to know I contemplated leaving. Also, didn't like the lack of friendliness from HR. Almost decided not to bother with PL afterwards. Glad I got past that.

Advice to Management

None

"Pure Racism"

Pros

Great training, dynamic team environment, great pay. Great company if you are on the right team

Cons

Management tells you one thing, but does another. The top performers really have say on who gets fired and/or reprimanded and its sad because they can have a personal vendetta against you (for whatever reason) and find the smallest things to gripe about and it goes against YOU. I have never worked in an environment where management was against you and not the aggressor. I have done everything I was asked for and still get reprimanded like a child.

Advice to Management

Stop babysitting the "top performers" and taking their word as gold. Although they make a lot of money for the company, what about the persons character or integrity? You lost a great employee at the hands of a racist. Thanks alot

Pacific Life Response

Oct 31, 2016 – Public Affairs Director

Thank you for taking the time to share your comments. Pacific Life strictly prohibits discrimination of any kind. Our goal is to foster a respectful, inclusive, compliant and productive work ... More

"Dream Job, with one caveat"

Current Employee - Manager in Newport Beach, CA
    Current Employee - Manager in Newport Beach, CA

I have been working at Pacific Life (More than 5 years)

Pros

Respectful management, world class HR department with focus on employee engagement and success. Excellent work life balance.

Cons

Very slow promotions. Work can be a little slow at times. Employees are encouraged to stay in their lanes and high performers are only marginally rewarded.

Advice to Management

Increase position flexibility, manage long term employees to a higher standard of work, aggressively pursue low performers so that they are not blocking more motivated workers from advancement.

"Old, Risk-adverse Company"

Pros

Work-life balance is great, and people are mostly kind. The location is also amazing. Stable income.

Cons

Managers aren't exactly "with the times" and don't focus on people development. Little to no growth opportunity. Outdated technology and management styles stems from the traditional insurance industry roots.

Also, since most people have been here 10+ years, don't expect to get taken seriously as a new or younger employee. Employee empowerment is low.

Advice to Management

Provide more current training for managers, and be open to new ideas to improve culture. The reason the company is falling behind competitors is because it takes us longer to change.