Pacific Lutheran University Reviews | Glassdoor

3.8
Pacific Lutheran University President Thomas W. Krise
Thomas W. Krise

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Flexible hours, supportive staff, felt like I could achieve success (in 5 reviews)

• PLU is a great place to work, vacation and benefits are generous (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • Faculty leadership is not strong and is really lead by a very small handful of senior faculty who don't have official elected positions (in 3 reviews)

• Other part time jobs could pay better (in 2 reviews)

1. "Good Employment, Good People, Good Students"

I have been working at Pacific Lutheran University part-time

Pros

I like working here. The system they have for logging hours is convenient, you get paid ever 2 weeks.

Cons

Sometimes you must be very careful (to an unnecessarily extreme point) what you say or do near people who feel entitled.

2. "Friendly Staff"

I worked at Pacific Lutheran University part-time

Pros

Staff are friendly at Pacific Lutheran University and are pleasant to work with. at any time.

Cons

the pay is low at Pacific Lutheran University and they will pay the minimum possible.

Advice to Management

Pay your staff more. They will work harder for you and the production will increase.

3. "Accepting faculty positions is questionable at this university"

I have been working at Pacific Lutheran University full-time

Pros

Working with students can be fantastic.

Cons

PLU is severely cutting its faculty, including positions with faculty members in them. PLU hasn't declared financial exigency as the American Association of University Professors (AAUP) requires to do this. PLU also isn't cutting administrators, a class which has grown immensely over the last 10-20 years, including their salaries, which are much higher than faculty's.
    PLU has made a big show, saying faculty have been involved in the cuts, however, it's largely been a group of faculty who are very entrenched with current and past administrators or have been or are administrators (some have reaped great financial benefit from this relationship).
    All the faculty cuts could have been made through attrition if leadership (including faculty leadership) had started the process a year or two ago, and put holds on new hires. They didn't do that.
    The cuts were not done fairly although the humanities has borne the brunt, especially where cuts were made to positions with faculty who have years to teach. These cuts seem due to politics and grudges and not justified by any data. These are mixed in other more acceptable cuts due to attrition to hide this reality.

PLU has opened itself up to expensive lawsuits. There are now divisions amongst the faculty. Young faculty starting out should go elsewhere. Your future is not promising here.

Advice to Management

Faculty leadership is failing the faculty as a whole. It needs dramatic change.
    Note to glassdoor: Krise is no longer president.

4. "Student Worker - I&TS"

Former Employee - Student PC Technician in Tacoma, WA
    Former Employee - Student PC Technician in Tacoma, WA

I worked at Pacific Lutheran University part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

PLU I&TS has pretty good wages for part time student workers. They also have a good support network so you're never too lost on what to do.

School always came first, so when I needed to take a shift off to study or make up homework that was always possible.

Cons

At that position it's expected to work a decent amount of hours which can be taxing with school.

5. "Research Fellow"

I worked at Pacific Lutheran University part-time

Pros

Flexible hours, supportive staff, felt like I could achieve success

Cons

I was asked to still preform my job during spring finals week, after my position technically ended. I know this is against university policy and I politely refused my supervisor.

Advice to Management

I wish their was a measure to anonymously point out these instances so supervisors could receive a warning.

6. "Great Community"

Current Employee - Advising, Admission, & Student Support Coordinator in Tacoma, WA

I have been working at Pacific Lutheran University full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Tight-knit community
    Progressive values
    Mission-driven, especially for social justice
    Student-centered goals drive decision-making, not politics (for the most part)

Cons

Salaries leave something to be desired
    Some employees spread too thin, as there is more work than staff to complete it

Advice to Management

Doing great, but has a lot of work to do to improve financial outlook of the university

"School of Business"

I have been working at Pacific Lutheran University full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Good pay. Decent benefits. The people care and it is a good school to work for.

Cons

Faculty tend to squash ideas that are beneficial to the school but inconvenient to themselves. I.E. "I won't vote to approve a new academic program because it might mean parking spaces are harder to find." (This really happened).

Advice to Management

Do what's best for the school.

8. "Excellent university, dedicated faculty, decent pay"

I worked at Pacific Lutheran University full-time

Pros

Adjunct faculty are paid more and required to do less service than they otherwise would be at other higher ed institutions. Supportive departmental colleagues. Prepared students. Excellent library support.

Cons

Tenure-track and tenured faculty are paid less than they otherwise be would at other higher ed institutions. At-risk students are lost to administrative hoops.

9. "PLU"

I have been working at Pacific Lutheran University full-time

Pros

Great community of people who enjoy their work with students.

Cons

Salaries are lower than other higher education institutions in the area.

"Administrative Assistant"

Current Employee - Administrative Assistant in Parkland, WA
    Current Employee - Administrative Assistant in Parkland, WA

I have been working at Pacific Lutheran University full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Great sense of community and fun working atmosphere.

Cons

The pay is very low compared to the "outside world" as it's a private University.