Pacific Office Automation Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

3.7
Doug Pitassi

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "The job is really hard work, but you" (in 15 reviews)

• "POA has great benefits, rewards, incentive trips, etc" (in 10 reviews)

Cons
  • "long hours and no time for family" (in 16 reviews)

• "Sales reps held accountable for NOTHING at all, ever" (in 10 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Account Manager"

Current Employee - Account Manager in Beaverton, OR
    Current Employee - Account Manager in Beaverton, OR

I have been working at Pacific Office Automation full-time (More than a year)

Pros

POA has a very strong and supportive culture. The training you receive from everyone from the President on down is so helpful and inspiring. Everyone wants you to succeed, and that mentality fosters an environment where teamwork is valued. I took this job a few years out of college, and POA empowers you to be your own boss, there is no problem that you can't solve. I wanted to challenge myself and grow and this opportunity has helped me in so many different aspects of my life from learning how to sell, giving me an opportunity to earn more money than I ever thought possible, and by being a provider for my family. I have never seen an environment where the CEO is willing to teach, train, and coach brand new employees, and genuinely cares about there goals both personally and professionally. This is a growth based company, they want you to succeed and help grow the customer base and the brand. They give you the keys and let you be the driver, where you end up depends on how much work you put in, how invested you are, and how involved you are with your team.

There are sales incentive trips that you are able to go in if you qualify. Those are a lot of fun and let me see parts of the country I have never seen before.

The compensation is incredible, the health care coverage is amazing, and the 401k match is unbeatable.

Cons

You get out what you put in, to this career. There is a lot of work to do and the more time you put in, in the beginning the more you will get out of this. If you are not willing to invest in your career, this might not be the best fit for you.

Advice to Management

Keep up the momentum! Keep looking at ways to add new products and services to sell.

2. "Amazing Company With The Best Culture"

Current Employee - Field Sales Manager in Phoenix, AZ
    Current Employee - Field Sales Manager in Phoenix, AZ

I have been working at Pacific Office Automation full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

POA's culture & daily work environment are all the motivation I need to get out of bed every day. Everyone works towards a common goal & has the good of the team in mind on every decision. The customer is always the priority & POA stops at nothing to honor their commitments to the customer and provide the best possible experience for them. The opportunity to make money is fantastic as well; the harder you work, the more growth within POA you will have. The 401K program is outstanding & POA pays for it's employees health insurance as well. The company continues to diversify and grow within it's markets & adds offerings that make sense to clients (currently offer office equipment/services, IT services/hardware, phone systems/service, mailing equipment/services, document management/cost recovery software, & managed print services).

Cons

There are no Cons to a career at Pacific Office Automation!

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you do; thank you for making my decision to invest in my career an easy one. I am forever indebted to Pacific Office Automation!

Jul 16, 2018 – Corporate Recruiter

We appreciate your thoughtful feedback on your experience working with us. We’re pleased to hear that you recognize our efforts to provide the best experience for customers and for employees. We are... More

3. "Supervisor"

I have been working at Pacific Office Automation full-time

Pros

Good hours, health care is provided

Cons

Lack of management, lack of communication

Aug 10, 2018 – Corporate Recruiter

Thank you for your feedback. We are concerned to hear that you feel there is a lack of management and lack of communication at POA. We strongly encourage you to speak with your direct supervisor to... More

4. "Great Opportunity"

Former Employee - Sales Representative
    Former Employee - Sales Representative

I worked at Pacific Office Automation full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Compensation is amazing, and the training they provide was very beneficial. It's definitely a lot of hours but you get out what you put into it. You will learn how to sell that's for sure, and it'll be valuable for your growth as a salesperson.

Cons

Frat like culture, but I do see the benefits of bonding with your co-workers and 'venting' your frustrations at the end of the day.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work

Jul 27, 2018 – Corporate Recruiter

Thanks for the review & feedback. We are proud of our top-notch sales training and glad to hear that you grew your skills on our team. We also hear your concerns and will use them to remind all our... More

5. "tech."

Current Employee - Tech in Portland, OR
    Current Employee - Tech in Portland, OR

I have been working at Pacific Office Automation full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

fully paid health insurance premiums

Cons

Inconsistentcy in management ethics/treatment of subordinates.

Advice to Management

The biggest problem with POA is that all of the previous reviews are accurate. Work environment totally depends on which branch/department/manager you work for. If you don't mind having a supervisor/manager that has been arrested on domestic abuse charges, this is the place for you.

Aug 10, 2018 – Corporate Recruiter

Thanks for leaving a review. We’re disappointed that you feel our management is inconsistent, but we do appreciate you bringing more attention to this concern. This feedback helps us identify the... More

6. "driver helper"

Pros

Learned lots about how to install and operate copiers/printers

Cons

Lots of turnovers for employees

May 21, 2018 – Corporate Recruiter

Thanks for leaving a review. We hope you gained some valuable experience while on our team that will be beneficial in future positions. All the best.

"Legitimate Opportunity to Have a Real Career"

Current Employee - Field Sales Manager in Portland, OR
    Current Employee - Field Sales Manager in Portland, OR

I have been working at Pacific Office Automation full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

I have worked at POA for over 20 years and seen the growth from a small Mom and Pop shop to the largest privately owned dealer in the country that is respected by our peers on a national level.

"Successful people do what unsuccessful people are unwilling to do."
    Sales at POA is not easy, we sell copiers, Enterprise level phone systems, Managed IT services and IT hardware, postage machines, and complex document management software. There is lots to learn from a product standpoint, and if you are right out of college, you are going to need to learn how to be a sales person. All of that takes time.

We work 12 hours a day-because there is a ton to do, somebody has to teach these new reps how to do it, so I am here too. We don't view long hours as a job, we see the time we put in as an investment in ourselves, the career of the new reps that work for us, and the business that will support our families comfortably.

Our environment promotes mentoring, teaching, training, and coaching. If you are not interested in seeking that kind of help, or would rather go to happy hour with your buddies from college because that is when the drinks are cheapest, then don't come to work here.

We don't care how much the drinks cost, because we are busy working and getting our career in order so we can live the life we want to live. We'll pay full fare.

Most kids coming out of college don't look very far into the future, they don't understand the value of a strong 401K program, they don't realize that most companies have no interest in paying any more than they have to, and that their compensation program can change quickly, if not annually.

If you are smart and are looking towards the future you will realize buying a home, a reliable car, having a family, going on vacation, paying for your kids club soccer team, college education and taking care of your family is CASH INTENSIVE.

You might want to keep that in mind.

Cons

If you are mentally weak, peaked in high school, more interested in hanging out with your friends than setting up your career so that you can be successful, then please don't apply.

We would be a bad fit for you.

We want people that have a burning desire to be successful, nothing less.

Advice to Management

Buy helicopters for the successful reps, so they can sell more

Apr 16, 2018 – Corporate Recruiter

Thank you for the review and for your 20+ years of service thus far to POA! We truly appreciate your insight and advice to our newest employees on what a successful career in sales looks like. We... More

"Account Representative"

I worked at Pacific Office Automation full-time

Pros

Cool work environment at this

Cons

No base salary in here

Advice to Management

Meh

Apr 16, 2018 – Corporate Recruiter

Thank you for leaving a review. We’re sorry to see you go, but we wish you the best in your career.

"Sales"

Current Employee - Sales in Portland, OR
    Current Employee - Sales in Portland, OR

I have been working at Pacific Office Automation full-time

Pros

Pacific Office is a very welcoming environment to younger inexperienced reps. There is ongoing training/development of people with high competition among peers to drive the success of everyone. People are held accountable, much like a sports team, to be the best versions of themselves for the betterment of the team.

Pacific Office has grown in revenue every year since it opened 41 years ago and has a management team that understands the significance of this. They teach all employees the habits needed to continue this success. Because of this success,
    Pacific Office is very philanthropic and gives back in every community they have an office. They are a financially stable company who takes care of their people with great Health Care, 401k, incentive trips, recognition banquets, etc.

I started this job directly out of college with no experience in the business world and can say Pacific Office truly taught me the habits, skill sets, and motivation to build a foundation for my future.

Cons

It's unfair to put this as a con to Pacific Office, but from the sounds of some of the negative reviews on here with other sales reps it sounds like there needs to be a better understanding of expectations prior to giving employment.

Pacific Office hasn't changed it's formula of how to develop people, and shouldn't, they are the largest at what they do in the country and provide for over 1,000 employees and even more when you account for it's healthcare program. That being said, there are individuals who don't want to follow this formula, which unfortunately causes discontent and Pacific Office catches a bad rap.

Pacific Office is very well defined in what it does and why they do it. Sounds like we just need to over communicate these points to potential employees so they buy in to the culture.

Advice to Management

Continue to foster a growth environment, develop people at a high rate, give back to the community.

Apr 16, 2018 – Corporate Recruiter

Thank you for your review. We’re proud of our continued growth over the last 41 years and even prouder of the rate at which we can give back to our communities. It’s our hope that with ongoing... More

10. "Great opportunity for young entrepreneurs"

Current Employee - Fleet Sales Representative in Beaverton, OR
    Current Employee - Fleet Sales Representative in Beaverton, OR

I have been working at Pacific Office Automation full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Right from the first day of being hired the employees care about your success and developent here. I was asked to write down my goals for both career and personal aspects. My manager sat down with me and helped devise a plan of how to reach these goals and what it would take. Having a team that is available for help whenever and cares about your success means a lot as someone just starting out in their career. The job is really hard work, but youŕe rewarded for what you put in.

The benefits from POA are unmatched for anyone just starting their career. POA offers great healthcare, 401k, and incentive trips. The trips are not exclusive to veteran reps and offer anyone in the company the opportunity to win these.

The culture at POA is amazing to see. Everybody in the company cares about the company as a whole succeeding and works together to make sure that happens. The company fosters the idea of developing their own employees to succeed and constantly promotes from within instead of hiring from outside. If you work hard you will be rewarded with mobility.

It´s great to work with a company that has so many veteran (15+ years) employees that are willing to take the time to develop the younger employees. Our President, Doug is completely hands on with training and development and has an open door policy where he will discuss any concerns or help you directly if you need it.

The company offers a wide range of products and services that every business needs. POA is always adding new and exciting products as well as the training to make sure you understand how they can help your prospects.

Cons

Every con that I see other people posting about is addressed in the interview process. If you´re not ready to commit to the work and values laid out in the interview process, this is not a job for you. Nothing will be a shock to you if you listen to everything during the interviews. People don´t go into sales for long weekends and calm workdays.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you´re doing!

Apr 16, 2018 – Corporate Recruiter

Thank you for your transparent review! Our number one priority at POA is to see our employees succeed, and we’re proud of the programs we’ve created to help in their success, including setting goals... More