Pacific Office Automation Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

3.9
Doug Pitassi

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • The job is really hard work, but you (in 15 reviews)

• POA has great benefits, rewards, incentive trips, etc (in 10 reviews)

Cons
  • Work/Life Balance is nonexistent (in 12 reviews)

• Long hours, hours of cold-calling (in 16 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Account Manager"

Current Employee - Account Manager in Beaverton, OR
    Current Employee - Account Manager in Beaverton, OR

I have been working at Pacific Office Automation full-time (More than a year)

Pros

POA has a very strong and supportive culture. The training you receive from everyone from the President on down is so helpful and inspiring. Everyone wants you to succeed, and that mentality fosters an environment where teamwork is valued. I took this job a few years out of college, and POA empowers you to be your own boss, there is no problem that you can't solve. I wanted to challenge myself and grow and this opportunity has helped me in so many different aspects of my life from learning how to sell, giving me an opportunity to earn more money than I ever thought possible, and by being a provider for my family. I have never seen an environment where the CEO is willing to teach, train, and coach brand new employees, and genuinely cares about there goals both personally and professionally. This is a growth based company, they want you to succeed and help grow the customer base and the brand. They give you the keys and let you be the driver, where you end up depends on how much work you put in, how invested you are, and how involved you are with your team.

There are sales incentive trips that you are able to go in if you qualify. Those are a lot of fun and let me see parts of the country I have never seen before.

The compensation is incredible, the health care coverage is amazing, and the 401k match is unbeatable.

Cons

You get out what you put in, to this career. There is a lot of work to do and the more time you put in, in the beginning the more you will get out of this. If you are not willing to invest in your career, this might not be the best fit for you.

Advice to Management

Keep up the momentum! Keep looking at ways to add new products and services to sell.

2. "Great opportunity for young entrepreneurs"

Current Employee - Fleet Sales Representative in Beaverton, OR
    Current Employee - Fleet Sales Representative in Beaverton, OR

I have been working at Pacific Office Automation full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Right from the first day of being hired the employees care about your success and developent here. I was asked to write down my goals for both career and personal aspects. My manager sat down with me and helped devise a plan of how to reach these goals and what it would take. Having a team that is available for help whenever and cares about your success means a lot as someone just starting out in their career. The job is really hard work, but youŕe rewarded for what you put in.

The benefits from POA are unmatched for anyone just starting their career. POA offers great healthcare, 401k, and incentive trips. The trips are not exclusive to veteran reps and offer anyone in the company the opportunity to win these.

The culture at POA is amazing to see. Everybody in the company cares about the company as a whole succeeding and works together to make sure that happens. The company fosters the idea of developing their own employees to succeed and constantly promotes from within instead of hiring from outside. If you work hard you will be rewarded with mobility.

It´s great to work with a company that has so many veteran (15+ years) employees that are willing to take the time to develop the younger employees. Our President, Doug is completely hands on with training and development and has an open door policy where he will discuss any concerns or help you directly if you need it.

The company offers a wide range of products and services that every business needs. POA is always adding new and exciting products as well as the training to make sure you understand how they can help your prospects.

Cons

Every con that I see other people posting about is addressed in the interview process. If you´re not ready to commit to the work and values laid out in the interview process, this is not a job for you. Nothing will be a shock to you if you listen to everything during the interviews. People don´t go into sales for long weekends and calm workdays.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you´re doing!

Apr 16, 2018 – Corporate Recruiter

Thank you for your transparent review! Our number one priority at POA is to see our employees succeed, and we’re proud of the programs we’ve created to help in their success, including setting goals... More

3. "driver helper"

Pros

Learned lots about how to install and operate copiers/printers

Cons

Lots of turnovers for employees

May 21, 2018 – Corporate Recruiter

Thanks for leaving a review. We hope you gained some valuable experience while on our team that will be beneficial in future positions. All the best.

"Legitimate Opportunity to Have a Real Career"

Current Employee - Field Sales Manager in Portland, OR
    Current Employee - Field Sales Manager in Portland, OR

I have been working at Pacific Office Automation full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

I have worked at POA for over 20 years and seen the growth from a small Mom and Pop shop to the largest privately owned dealer in the country that is respected by our peers on a national level.

"Successful people do what unsuccessful people are unwilling to do."
    Sales at POA is not easy, we sell copiers, Enterprise level phone systems, Managed IT services and IT hardware, postage machines, and complex document management software. There is lots to learn from a product standpoint, and if you are right out of college, you are going to need to learn how to be a sales person. All of that takes time.

We work 12 hours a day-because there is a ton to do, somebody has to teach these new reps how to do it, so I am here too. We don't view long hours as a job, we see the time we put in as an investment in ourselves, the career of the new reps that work for us, and the business that will support our families comfortably.

Our environment promotes mentoring, teaching, training, and coaching. If you are not interested in seeking that kind of help, or would rather go to happy hour with your buddies from college because that is when the drinks are cheapest, then don't come to work here.

We don't care how much the drinks cost, because we are busy working and getting our career in order so we can live the life we want to live. We'll pay full fare.

Most kids coming out of college don't look very far into the future, they don't understand the value of a strong 401K program, they don't realize that most companies have no interest in paying any more than they have to, and that their compensation program can change quickly, if not annually.

If you are smart and are looking towards the future you will realize buying a home, a reliable car, having a family, going on vacation, paying for your kids club soccer team, college education and taking care of your family is CASH INTENSIVE.

You might want to keep that in mind.

Cons

If you are mentally weak, peaked in high school, more interested in hanging out with your friends than setting up your career so that you can be successful, then please don't apply.

We would be a bad fit for you.

We want people that have a burning desire to be successful, nothing less.

Advice to Management

Buy helicopters for the successful reps, so they can sell more

Apr 16, 2018 – Corporate Recruiter

Thank you for the review and for your 20+ years of service thus far to POA! We truly appreciate your insight and advice to our newest employees on what a successful career in sales looks like. We... More

"Account Representative"

I worked at Pacific Office Automation full-time

Pros

Cool work environment at this

Cons

No base salary in here

Advice to Management

Meh

Apr 16, 2018 – Corporate Recruiter

Thank you for leaving a review. We’re sorry to see you go, but we wish you the best in your career.

"Sales"

Current Employee - Sales in Portland, OR
    Current Employee - Sales in Portland, OR

I have been working at Pacific Office Automation full-time

Pros

Pacific Office is a very welcoming environment to younger inexperienced reps. There is ongoing training/development of people with high competition among peers to drive the success of everyone. People are held accountable, much like a sports team, to be the best versions of themselves for the betterment of the team.

Pacific Office has grown in revenue every year since it opened 41 years ago and has a management team that understands the significance of this. They teach all employees the habits needed to continue this success. Because of this success,
    Pacific Office is very philanthropic and gives back in every community they have an office. They are a financially stable company who takes care of their people with great Health Care, 401k, incentive trips, recognition banquets, etc.

I started this job directly out of college with no experience in the business world and can say Pacific Office truly taught me the habits, skill sets, and motivation to build a foundation for my future.

Cons

It's unfair to put this as a con to Pacific Office, but from the sounds of some of the negative reviews on here with other sales reps it sounds like there needs to be a better understanding of expectations prior to giving employment.

Pacific Office hasn't changed it's formula of how to develop people, and shouldn't, they are the largest at what they do in the country and provide for over 1,000 employees and even more when you account for it's healthcare program. That being said, there are individuals who don't want to follow this formula, which unfortunately causes discontent and Pacific Office catches a bad rap.

Pacific Office is very well defined in what it does and why they do it. Sounds like we just need to over communicate these points to potential employees so they buy in to the culture.

Advice to Management

Continue to foster a growth environment, develop people at a high rate, give back to the community.

Apr 16, 2018 – Corporate Recruiter

Thank you for your review. We’re proud of our continued growth over the last 41 years and even prouder of the rate at which we can give back to our communities. It’s our hope that with ongoing... More

"A Company that Cares"

Current Employee - Sales Representative in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Sales Representative in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Pacific Office Automation full-time (More than a year)

Pros

POA cares about your individual success and wants people to succeed! Yes, you will have to work hard to accomplish your goals but POA gives you the tools to reach them.

Cons

It's not a 9am-5pm job but in the long run, I'm able to make more money in this role. It took time to adjust to it but I'm so glad I started a career at POA!

Advice to Management

Doug is the most involved president I've ever worked for. What president takes two days/two hours out of his week to train his employees? Doug does.

Apr 16, 2018 – Corporate Recruiter

Thank you for your review! We’re so happy to hear that you recognize our effort to ensure each employee succeeds. We appreciate your feedback on Doug’s involvement with training, so we’ll be sure to... More

8. "Account Manager"

I worked at Pacific Office Automation full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Be in control of your income.

Cons

If your looking for a 9-5 this isn’t for you.

Advice to Management

Nothing, not broke no need to fix it.

Apr 13, 2018 – Corporate Recruiter

Thanks for leaving a review. We know that this field and career path isn’t for everyone, but we hope we provided valuable experience for you to take on to your next role. We wish you the best!

"Growth, Culture, Training and Great People!"

Current Employee - Account Manager in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Account Manager in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Pacific Office Automation full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I have been with Pacific Office Automation for more than a year and a half now, and have been impressed at how much I have grown in such a short time. POA is an awesome place to work with an awesome culture and people. POA has some of the best training that you will find in a sales environment with Managers who are willing to take the time to really train you. The skills that you learn from working at POA will not only help build your business but also help you in your every day personal life.

Cons

Pacific Office Automation is a place that you are going to have to put your time in learning to become successful. It isn't something that happens over night. POA gives you the tools to become successful, its your choice what you do with them. Be prepared to learn and work.

Advice to Management

Keep building great teams!

Mar 26, 2018 – Corporate Recruiter

Thank you for your review! We’re proud of the robust training opportunities available to all employees to help them grow professionally and personally. It’s great to hear you feel you’ve experienced... More

"Sales Representative"

Current Employee - Sales Representative in Pleasanton, CA
    Current Employee - Sales Representative in Pleasanton, CA

I have been working at Pacific Office Automation full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

-I love working for a company that takes the goals of their employees seriously and does what they can to help achieve them.
    -Enjoy working in a competitive office, that allows for a fun environment.
    -Great benefits.

Cons

-You determine your success. You have to work hard and focus on your career, sometimes can be a lot, but you are definitely assured this before you're hired. So take it literally when they say the first few years are a grind!

Mar 16, 2018 – Corporate Recruiter

Thank you for your 5-star review! It’s encouraging for us to hear that employees like you recognize and appreciate our efforts to help you reach your goals. We know this job requires hard work, but... More