Pacific Patrol Services Reviews | Glassdoor

Pacific Patrol Services Reviews

Updated Sep 29, 2019

3.1
Pacific Patrol Services CEO Alan Pendergrass (no image)
Alan Pendergrass
  1. "Steady, solid employment"

Current Employee - Security Officer in Portland, OR

I have been working at Pacific Patrol Services full-time for more than a year

Pros

PPS provides a steady, reliable paycheck which is significantly above minimum wage. Overtime hours are available.

Cons

PPS is perpetually understaffed, so officers are often moved around or asked to work overtime.

Pacific Patrol Services2017-05-13
  2. "Horrible experience"

Former Employee - Security Officer Concierge

I worked at Pacific Patrol Services part-time for less than a year

Pros

None i am typing to meet the five words or less..

Cons

I worked for this company for a few months this year. I was asked how many hrs i would like and i was given 10 hours more at first. I was asked to work 8 graves in a row and when i called in due to fatigue i was written up. I was accused of things i did not do. This company gives kudos to supervisors who turn in employees for anything at all.. This place is always under staffed due to their own messed up business... strategies. The supervisors are not qualifed but put in the position due to lack of employees. I walked out of this place and ran like my hair was on fire.. Run and run fast. Pay is minimal and no benifits.. You are asked to work your tail off and have no choice to back out of overtime..

Advice to Management

Stop working your employees to death and hire ssupervisors that dont get a pat on the back for being rats and snitches.. Maybe you could keep employees.. I watched 8 people leave in 2 months!

Pacific Patrol Services2019-09-29
  3. "Lots of work, not a lot of pay"

Former Employee - Bike Security Officer in Portland, OR

I worked at Pacific Patrol Services full-time for less than a year

Pros

-Lots of overtime if you want it. -Steady work.

Cons

-Terrible hours: They start everyone off on night shift and working weekends, day shift is a privilege to be earned. -Very physically demanding: This could be a pro or a con depending on how you look at it. Riding a bike up and down hills and parking structures all night long is tough, but it will get you in shape. -Low pay, I started at $12 an hour, didn't stick around long enough to get a raise. -No time for... breaks: as a bike officer, my route took me so far away from the office I was told to make my breaks in the resident lounge of one of the properties I patrolled, but residents would walk in on me and think I was slacking off. They could also interrupt your lunch break at any moment if they needed you to respond to something. I actually got a letter from the Oregon Bureau of Labor and Industries saying that other employees here had made complaints about not being allowed to take their required breaks.

Pacific Patrol Services2019-08-09

"Lots of opportunity for overtime"

Former Employee - Security Officer in Portland, OR

I worked at Pacific Patrol Services full-time for more than a year

Pros

Lots of hours available, the gear is good, company philosophy is good.

Cons

Like any security company, they are often understaffed. But if you show up, don't call out sick, and do a decent job, they notice and are willing to not give you terrible shifts.

Pacific Patrol Services2018-09-22

"Pacific Patrol Services Helped Give me my Bachelors Degree."

Former Employee - Unarmed Security Officer in Portland, OR

I worked at Pacific Patrol Services full-time for more than a year

Pros

I appreciate the opportunity to work at PPS, it has sincerely been one of the best work experiences I've had. My co-workers have always been easy to work with and management has done well do keep me in a consistent position with enough work house to maintain going to school and support myself here in Portland. I honestly could not have achieved getting a Bachelor’s degree without this job, so for that I am thankful... and grateful to the folks at PPS.

Cons

Working with the public isn't as easy as it looks. I definitely have a higher appreciation for what Clean and Safe do, for what the Portland Police do, for what any general security service does (albeit not all security services are created equal). It took me a good while to get into the swing of working with the public and to figure out how to properly conduct myself when representing not only the company, but... primarily the first face someone will see and interact with in the situation of an emergency.

Advice to Management

Keep improving. In the time that I worked at PPS I saw numerous supervisors come in and out and everyone had various reasons for it. Honestly though, I feel comfortable saying that management has made significant improvments from when I started to when I finished, and I appreciate that they are making an effort to do that. Not all companies have supervisors or managers that put in effort to make changes and to make... improvements, so it's definitely something I appreciated. There were times where the changes they made would make more work for me, or would make my job more complicated and difficult, but I would honestly rather have that and have the challenge of figuring out how to make it work and how to make it efficient than just a stale job that never improves or grows or evolves.

Pacific Patrol Services2018-05-22

"It Works"

Current Employee - Unarmed Private Security Official in Portland, OR

I have been working at Pacific Patrol Services part-time for more than a year

Pros

Flexible schedule, understanding staff, health benefits, PTO

Cons

Boring, Lacks a sense of fulfillment, not challenging, constant request to pickup shifts

Advice to Management

The advice I would offer to management is to aspire to make the job feel like it is actually worth the employees time. I have worked for about a year and I dread going to work because I do not feel as if I have accomplished anything. There also is not any room for growth as an employee and that just makes it more difficult.

Pacific Patrol Services2018-03-15
  7. "Ok"

I have been working at Pacific Patrol Services

Pros

Payed on time all the time

Cons

Low pay, was not happy with that

Pacific Patrol Services2017-05-18

"Bike patrol"

Former Employee - Bike Patrol in Portland, OR

I worked at Pacific Patrol Services full-time for more than a year

Pros

Plenty of overtime. Meet some cool people. Pretty much everyone hates management equally so it's likely you can talk bad about them without them finding out. Decent pay

Cons

Former president Alan Makes fun of people's disabilities. They take on too many contracts and concentrate the workload on the people who they know won't say no. They take advantage of hard working employees by asking them to stay late, work back to back long shifts, and do extra work the employee doesn't realistically have time for. They treat you like dirt if you say no to them(especially if you usually say yes).... They will call you while you're are busy or sleeping and give you attitude if you say you're busy or you were sleeping and say that you can't come it. No matter whether you apologize. Don't bother apologizing. Supervisors power trip and use guilt tripping to get you to do what they want. I wouldn't be surprised if they threaten to fire you. They'll skim off of paychecks unless you actually track your paystubs.

Advice to Management

All the advice you need is in cons section.

Pacific Patrol Services2017-05-01
  9. "A professional company that you can grow with"

I have been working at Pacific Patrol Services full-time

Pros

This company is growing and helps give people an opportunity to learn, improve and be successful in their department/field. They recognize and reward hard working employees.

Cons

You have to be able to adapt to a fast paced environment.

Pacific Patrol Services2017-03-10
  10. "There is a lot of different types of work to do"

I have been working at Pacific Patrol Services full-time

Pros

Professional, close-knit company that cares about its officers and provides a lot of different jobs. There are opportunities for a variety of field work, from biking patrols, walking patrols, desk/concierge work, to communications and scheduling jobs.

Cons

It is fast-paced and busy, but that makes time go by quickly.

Pacific Patrol Services2017-03-01