Pacific Sunwear Reviews in Charlotte, NC | Glassdoor

Pacific Sunwear President, CEO, and Director Gary H. Schoenfeld
Gary H. Schoenfeld

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • There is little to NO work/life balance; your basically TOLD exactly what schedule to work during Holidays and expected to work EVERY Saturday (in 40 reviews)

• Company always restructuring so a lot of upper management shifts lately (in 71 reviews)

1. "Great teams"

Former Employee - Store Manager in Charlotte, NC
    Former Employee - Store Manager in Charlotte, NC

I worked at Pacific Sunwear full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Flexible work shifts
    Great learning environment
    Cool brands
    Great fashion
    401k program with an employer match
    Knowledgeable associates
    Internal promotable opportunity

Cons

Workload can be heavy during the holidays
    Must be a self starter
    Change occurs often
    Feast or famine leadership direction

Advice to Management

Keep focus on employees

"Eh."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Charlotte, NC
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Charlotte, NC

I worked at Pacific Sunwear (More than 8 years)

Pros

Fun atmosphere, great for the younger crowd.

Cons

Not a great career path if you're looking for stability/advancement/appreciation.

3. "Men's assistant manager"

Current Employee - Mens Assistant Manager in Charlotte, NC
    Current Employee - Mens Assistant Manager in Charlotte, NC

I have been working at Pacific Sunwear full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The discount is really good and the environment is super relaxed and friendly. Plus you get to work with your hands with presentation builds!

Cons

In my opinion there aren't any.

4. "Seasonal employment has once and for all disenchanted the brand for me."

Current Employee - Seasonal Sales Associate in Charlotte, NC
    Current Employee - Seasonal Sales Associate in Charlotte, NC

I have been working at Pacific Sunwear part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Casual, easy, work environment. EASY product to sell. Co-workers and management are super laid back and easy to get along with. Very flexible scheduling. Easy training. Dress code was a breeze (almost non-existent) and someone that would find it hard to conform to most companies dress codes would find it easy to work at Pacsun.
    Family can make purchases in store with your discount (30% off).
    Also I noticed that most management (key holders and such) had worked there all about 1 year, so if you stick around it seems you get promoted pretty quickly. I was offered part time employment after seasonal hires were let go but declined due to cons below.

Cons

Employment policy requires agreement to arbitration.

Minimum wage: (even though I had retail experience and had been making more at my previous job which I was not fired, but had excellent review from).

ADP Aline card: basically Pacsun in the name of going paperless and being convenient (which it isn't on both accounts) deposits it's employees paychecks onto a prepaid Visa card that has all kinds of restrictions and fees. It's been a month since my first paycheck and I still don't have access to those or any of my wages because it's tied up due to me trying to opt out, which is allowed but not easy.

Call-in's: They use call-in's, which is fine, I suppose, but they abuse them. One week I was scheduled for call-in's four days in a row (3 weren't used!).

My NC Pacsun outlet took GSOM (Golden State Of Mind) way too seriously... the work environment and management except the store manager are unprofessional, unorganized, inefficient, not punctual, lack customer service skills and I found it all very hard to do my job to the fullest.

The discount is only sometimes better than what an average customer can walk in and get.
    Also the discount can not be used online which is where most of the product to be had is.

The product is seriously lacking in quality and has moved from it's origins. There is so much street wear and so little surf wear. Most of the women's clothing is made of polyester, spandex, and elastic. Whatever contract the surf brands have with Pacsun is doing their brand reputation a serious disservice.

Maybe once I get paid I'll feel better about it all, but right now I'm pretty disappointed in Pacsun.

Advice to Management

Don't make the ADP Aline card default. Give experienced new hire's the dignity or earning more than minimum wage. Stop abusing call-ins. Don't require arbitration. Put HR's number on something! Every bit of paperwork (paperless or not) included no number whatsoever to call in the event of help needed or problems. There weren't HR numbers even listed in the employee accessed rooms of the store either!

Showing 4 of 1,035 reviews