Pacific Theatres Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

2.7
Chris Forman

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Decent Place to work"

Former Employee - Talent Member in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at Pacific Theatres part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I honestly stayed there longer than I should have for the free movies benefit. Nice job to have when you want a flexible work schedule.

Cons

Not a place where they encourage out-of-the-box thinking. Barely make enough money to live off of.

Advice to Management

Take suggestions from employees more often. Don't be afraid to innovate and change.

2. "Okay summer job"

Former Employee - Talent Member in Glendale, CA

Pros

Easy job and free movies!

Cons

Not that many hours once the summer starts, they hire too many people

Advice to Management

Dont over hire

"Summer and Winter Job"

Former Employee - Talent Member in Los Angeles, CA

Pros

It's a great seasonal job. If you ask for days off, the managers work with your schedule (at least mine did). The perks are obviously cool: free movies for you and 3 people, 50% snacks, and celebrity sightings (if you're into that). On top of that, if it's your first job, like it was mine, you gain a lot of valuable experience in customer service. Guests come in thinking they own the place; sometimes, even though you know you're right, you have to baby them until they finally give up and accept the company policy or just leave altogether. It's frustrating, but looking back, it's fun to laugh at all the dumb crap you had to put up with. Oh! Another thing that's great is that at The Grove PT, the only change we used was quarters. So, if you're like me and get stuck after counting to 80 in pennies, you're in the clear. No need to deal with pennies or nickels since most people slapped down 20s, 100s, or black cards ;). Speaking of location, depending on where you are, your hours will vary. Since The Grove never sees an empty day during the seasonal time, they give you hours up the butt. It's annoying until you see that paycheck and realize you can have your cake and eat it too cause you can go on a buy another one with yo hard-earned money!
    Also, there's a 24 hour or LA fitness discount you can apply for, in addition to the 401k plan mentioned already.

Cons

Employees get paid far too little for all the work they do. I started off at around $8 and was overworked the entire time I was there. On my days off all I wanted to do was stay in bed, eat, and sleep. It's absolutely an exhausting job. If you're not at snack, you're helping out the usher team, restroom porters (the absolute worst because who knew the women's bathroom was a place straight out of Hell), or selling tickets. The easiest job there is ticket drop, but that gets boring real fast. Bring a crossword puzzle.

Also, like any other job in customer service, brace yourself for the infinite amount of times you will be asked the same, dumb question in one shift. "How do I know if my parking ticket got validated?" "Well, Miss/Sir, if you would have read the directions properly that were literally in front you AS YOU VEHEMENTLY SHOVED YOUR TICKET IN THE MACHINE, you would have noticed that the code you see right now is proof of validation. Thanks for breaking the machine too. Now we've got hella people in line for the bathroom and the only validation machine available. Enjoy your night." No such thing as a dumb question? So naive, so innocent.
    If you're scheduled for a night shift, good luck getting out of there on time. Closing can be a pain if you're with the wrong crew.

Advice to Management

Stress the importance of identifying counterfeit bills! This was my first "real" job and didn't even know those were still a thing. My manager was upset when she saw the bill as I was cashing out but how was I supposed to know what to look for in a bill when I'd never been trained for it?

"Worst job I have ever had."

Former Employee - Talent Member in Glendale, CA

I worked at Pacific Theatres part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Best thing about working about there are the perks. You get unlimited free movies for you and 3 friends, every thing on the snack bar is half off.

The work itself can be mild to heavy depending on where you are positioned.

Cons

Biggest con is how emotionally, and physically draining it can be, although that is to be expected. Be prepared to interact with thousands of people during a shift most of which are on the verge of tearing someones head off.

Horrible, and incomplete training. They have the "leads" train you but all of them are so over worked that its difficult to get the same answer twice, so just as you think you may be doing things well for one lead the next day you might get a different supervisor telling you you're doing everything wrong.

You need to have your weekends completely clear begining thursday. So good bye social life.

Advice to Management

Start caring about your employees, when I was there people that had been working there for years began quitting because of the lack of raises and recognition.

"No incentives for additional work"

Current Employee - Talent Member in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Pacific Theatres part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Free movies! Every employee can bring up to three people along with themselves to see any movie as long as it is after opening weekend. Also, 50% off concessions for yourself and anyone with you.

The work is easy to learn.

There is a matching 401k program. If you get a job here, be sure to take advantage of this. Most employees don't even know it exists because after you hear about it in training, no one talks about it. If you don't know what a 401k is, learn about it, because this is one of the few perks this company offers.

Cons

The pay is minimum wage with opportunities to get 25 cent an hour raises every time you have a performance review (which is supposed to be every six months but often doesn't happen on schedule). If the managers feel you are not seeking out more opportunities (such as being trained in Guest Services or to be a Snack Bar Lead) they may decide you don't deserve 25 cents more an hour, even if you have been a reliable employee. However, there is no incentive to take on more responsibility other than the possible 25 cent raise.

Employees who have been working at Pacific Theatres upwards of two years and are basically assistant managers still haven't received any raises other than the occasional 25 cent raises, so it's really not worth it to stay with this company. One co-worker had been an employee for ten years and only made $10/hour. This company will drain as much work from you as possible while giving you as little as possible.

Advice to Management

Make it worth the employees' while to seek out advancement--offer pay increases for additional responsibility. The pittance of a 25 cent an hour raise should be a given for anyone who continues to be a reliable employee every six months, but there should be more offered if an employee becomes a Lead or starts doing programming or scheduling.

Instead of giving away prizes by raffle at the talent party, offer a bonus to all employees. Allow employees to bring their significant others to the talent party.

6. "Okay for starters, otherwise don't even bother.."

I have been working at Pacific Theatres part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Free movies are always a plus, but just about any theater will give you those. The work isn't that hard to grasp, it's more of just doing what you're told, by the monkeys who believe they have some sort of authority. Otherwise the job is a no brainer

Cons

The management here is poor, very poor.. ironic because they're barrowing in money from innocent movie goers while they treat their employees like dirt. Your coworkers are your enemies, not your friends. Everyone puts on a happy face, but is ready to stab you in the back to get ahead. The way employees are reviewed is a joke, and favoritism is no secret. There is a sense of disunity in basic human values. If you want to get ahead here, you need to be annoying, and follow some stupid game of kissing up to get somewhere, nothing here focuses on actual skills. There are people who are way stronger in aspects to be a leader and the managers bring up those who don't even know simple common sense. If you want to work at a movie theater, try somewhere else, because these people don't deserve your time and effort. Unless you are satisfied with being in an atmosphere that serves you no actual value. And don't even start with trying to get a weekend off. Impossible.There are much better places you can get a job even if you have no experience. Trust me, it will be the best decision you will ever make.

Advice to Management

Try to learn to understand that your employees are people, not robots, and that they have feelings that need to be addressed, otherwise you will never have any loyal employees, except those who choose to put up with the loss of humanity in this place. Good luck.

7. "Hardwork"

Former Employee - Talent Member in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at Pacific Theatres full-time (More than a year)

Pros

free movies , meet alot of people , nice holiday hours , nice breaks

Cons

sometimes you dont get alot of shifts but you can make up for that by picking up shifts

8. "The work itself is satisfying, but raises and promotions are doled out to the managers friends."

Current Employee - Talent in Glendale, CA
    Current Employee - Talent in Glendale, CA

I have been working at Pacific Theatres part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The free movies are great, 4 free passes a day!
    A lot of co-workers are really great people.
    Job is easy to get the hang of.

Cons

Management plays favorites.
    Not a lot of cohesion between the way some managers/leads run things, it can be confusing.
    The reasons they gave for not giving most of the staff raises were super flimsy.

Advice to Management

You should pay attention to people working hard! It's your job to manage and supervise the talent, so why do they have to alert you when they're doing a good job? Also the whole pin system is ridiculous.

9. "Poor management results in bad work environment"

I have been working at Pacific Theatres part-time

Pros

Free movies! You can see any movie for free after opening weekend and bring up to three guests.
    50% off of concessions.
    The work is pretty easy.
    There's a 401k matching program you can join into after 6 months of employment. Matching contribution up to 6%.

Cons

The management team changes about every six months, so expectations change and new managers can come up with easy excuses not to give measly 25 cent an hour raises.
    The pay sucks. Starts at 8 bucks an hour, and it's hard to get tiny raises. There's no additional compensation for added responsibilities. Managers want to see you take on added responsibility, then maybe at your next review in six months they'll give you a 25 cent an hour raise.
    Cleaning theatres is dirty, disgusting work and sometimes you have to clean three theatres that let out at the same time.
    There's a lot of turnover, so reliable, hardworking employees often have to work with lazy employees, which can be really frustrating.

Advice to Management

Be like any decent company and reward employees who have added responsibilities with additional compensation. Leads should earn more as soon as they become leads, and so should projectionists. Other employees who don't move up should still receive raises on a regular schedule just to keep up with cost of living increases. Also, train your managers better. Most of the managers I deal with are very unprofessional.

10. "The only place that I could get hired for my first job"

I have been working at Pacific Theatres part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Free movies with 3 of your own guests (good if you like to the theaters a lot)
    50% discount on subpar overpriced food (better off sneaking in your own)
    Most of the employees are pretty cool to work with
    Not very difficult to get hired at, doesn't require very much experience

Cons

The pay is not worth it at all. $8/hour with the chance for a quarter dollar raise every 6 months. A decent percentage of the employees with seniority at the theater (those who used to be "co-ordinators") definitely have their heads up their a**es in terms of how they treat the newer hires.

Scheduling can be very poorly done at times. It is not uncommon to be understaffed on a weekday or weekend due to skimping on hours.

Expectations can be overwhelming at times. I'd love to see one of these managers try and go through a day in the regular talents shoes and see if they could usher an entire shift's worth of theaters on their own (which is what is expected occasionally).

I am arguably one of the hardest workers at my theater, and still don't have a refund code and am not able to reprint tickets. This is a disparaging issue as I am forced to call employees who are able to do so, and have to make guests wait while they walk over to my register. This can be quite a nuisance especially on busy days. Most importantly it is disrespectful for me to have to be treated like this when I don't have any suspicious activity history.

Getting to do different jobs at this theater is like a lottery game. Working snack bar, ushering, and 3d/rovering are the givens, but to do guest services, projection, human resources, or cash handling, you have to get lucky. The management has to like you enough to want to pick you out, it's not very much about how hard you work.

Like mentioned in another submitted review, the performance reviews done by managers are a poor excuse of an evaluation. They recycle a lot of the things and tell them to many of the employees, which is odd because the managers are rarely on the floor or involved enough to be able to make such calls about how hard a talent member does or doesn't work. Pathetic, really.

The worst part about working here outside of all the actual work is giving up your weekends.

My best advice and the bottom line is, if you are having trouble getting a job, work here.
    Work here long enough until you start hating it a little bit, and further until you associate the corrupt b******* with the smell of the theater. Once you start contemplating whether or not your free time is worth being spent working at the theater, quit.

Advice to Management

Management doesn't really know what is going on on every front. Their only concern is that everything is ok, e.g. there not being lines at the concession stand or box office. They themselves slack off, by neglecting little things all around the theater. At our theater the secondary oven used for pizzas is still broken, and since it isn't a crucial issue because the pretzel oven's settings can be adjusted to be equivalent to that of the pizza oven, the oven still hasn't been fixed. The buckets we collect 3d glasses in were in terrible shape for a long time and were only recently replaced after employees brought it to the managers' attention after several times.

There is definitely a good amount of favoritism on the management's behalf, which can be either a good or bad thing. They pick out a select few to "lead" the rest, and they stand around like idiots and have segregated "lead" meetings, lowering the overall efficiency of the theater.